Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

Ad Content

#1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 2 Weeks Ago (10:32 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by StormInAJar.
Tactician from Renais

Nature: Bold
    Greetings! Yes! It is indeed that time again!

For anyone who may have been on the forum back in 2012 (Geez, was it really THAT long ago?), a younger me had an old account here. Younger me also invented a particular challenge that I, in my adult evolution, am bringing back to life! Introducing......

THE TYPECYCLECHALLENGE!!!

Rules

The rules of the challenge are simple! Complete the game using a trio of pokemon. However, this trio of pokemon will be specially chosen by selecting a group of three types that are all effective against the other.

As an example, we all know when you start a normal pokemon journey, the professor provides you either a Grass-, a Water-, or a Fire-type pokemon to be your companion, but in a type cycle challenge, you would be provided with all THREE pokemon as Grass is effective against Water, Water beats Fire, and Fire is strong versus Grass. That's the idea behind this challenge.

Team Makeup

So here's how the Pokemon are chosen! You will choose a cycle to play through the game with and, through a random selection of the possible pool of pokemon available in the game of your choice with that type, you will be given a trio to play the game with. This encourages you to play with Pokemon you might not otherwise choose to play the game with (similar to the Nuzlocke challenge).

The potential pool of pokemon will be all of those available before you defeat the sixth gym leader (or the second Island Kahuna in the case of Pokemon S/M/US/UM), with the first team member being available before you beat the third. This way, your team will be fully assembled and you will be given plenty of time to grow and strengthen them.

Ultimate Challenge

Ultimate runs are available! They would require you to complete each gen with the same cycle, but you can play the games any order you like. In addition, if you decide to compete in an ultimate challenge, the requirements for victory in each game will be changed slightly. (Hey, you're the one who wants to make this more challenging for yourself, I'm just helping that along ;P

Type Cycles

Below is a list of all the different cycles available to you. (As a note, I have taken some sliiiiiiiight liberties with my logic to provide you guys with at least ONE cycle for any given type. What that means is, I've factored IMMUNITIES as STRENGTHS, i.e. since Flying is immune to Ground, I considered Flying as strong against Ground. This was mostly to try and include more options for CERTAIN problematic typings. Looking at you, Ghost, Poison, Bug, and Dragon >:[

Type Cycles
    Spoiler:
    NormalGhostFighting

FireGrassWater
    FireGrassGround
    FireGrassRock
    FireIceGround
    FireSteelRock

WaterGroundElectric

GrassGroundPoison
    GrassRockIce
    GrassRockBug
    GrassRockFlying

ElectricFlyingGround

IceFlyingFighting
    IceGroundRock
    IceGroundSteel
    IceDragonFire
    Okay, look, I know this one is wonky, but there aren't many ways to get Dragon types in here so since Dragon resists Fire, I'm counting it.

FightingRockFlying
    FightingDarkPsychic
    FightingSteelFairy
    FightingBugPsychic

(See above statement about having trouble getting Dragon in, except this time it's because Fighting resists Bug. DON'T JUDGE ME, I'M TRYING HERE!)

PoisonSteelFairy
    PoisonBugPsychic

I'll just stop addressing the weird ones now, I'm sure you get the idea.

BugDarkGhost

GhostGhostGhostONLY AVAILABLE FROM GEN 3 GAMES ONWARD

"Wait, isn't that just a Monotype Cha-"Shhhh-sh-sh-sh-shhh, I get it, just cut me some slack.

DragonDragonDragonONLY AVAILABLE IN R/S/E (Your team will be set as Altaria, Flygon, and Salamence, no other options available.) AND IN X/Y (You have a few options, but the pool is VERY limited)
    DragonFireFairy

Is my name Mr. Fantastic? Because that one was a stretch

Okay! With all of THAT out of the way, here's how to sign up! Just copy the template below into your response post!

Username:
    Trainer name:
    Gen/Game:
    Chosen Cycle:
    Preferred First Type:
    Baby Form (B) or Fully Evolved (F):

Preferred First Type isn't always doable, but I'll try and rig the system in your favor if I can ;P

Completion Requirements

Below here is listed the requirements for any challenge to be considered "Complete". Ultimate run requirements will be marked with U.
    Spoiler:

R/B/Y/FR/LG: Defeat your rival in the Indigo Plateau. U Challengers playing either FR or LG must defeat their Rival AFTER completing the Sevii Islands trip.

G/S/C/HG/SS: Defeat Lance at the Indigo Plateau. UChallengers playing G/S/C must defeat Red at the top of Mt. Silver. Challengers playing HG/SS must defeat Lance in the rematch fight after completing the Kanto post-game.

R/S/E/OR/AS: Defeat Steven/Wallace at the Pokemon League. UChallengers playing R/S will end their challenge as normal after defeating Steven. Challengers playing Emerald must defeat Steven at Meteor Falls. Challengers playing OR/AS must defeat Steven the second time at the Pokemon League.

D/P/Pl: Defeat Cynthia at the Pokemon League. UChallengers playing D/P will end their challenge as normal after defeating Cynthia. Challengers playing Platinum must defeat Cynthia the second time after receiving the National Dex.

B/W/B2/W2: Challengers playing B/W must defeat N after he takes over the Pokemon League. Challengers playing B2/W2 must defeat Iris at the Pokemon League. U Challengers must defeat Cynthia in Undella Town in the post game.

X/Y: Defeat Diantha at the Pokemon League. UChallengers will end their challenge as normal after defeating Diantha.

S/M/US/UM: Challengers playing S/M must defeat Challenger Kukui at the Pokemon League. Challengers playing US/UM must defeat Challenger Hau at the Pokemon League. UChallengers playing either game will end their challenge as normal after defeating their respective Challengers.

Each trainer who signs up for the Type Cycle Challenge will get a custom userbar designed by me. This is the reason for the Baby Form or Fully Evolved question in the template, which will let me know which stage of the pokemon you want in your userbar.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Here's my submission:

Username: StormInAJar
    Trainer name: Storm
    Gen/Game: Pokemon Platinum
    Chosen Cycle: PoisonBugPsychic
    Preferred First Type: Bug
    Baby Form (B) or Fully Evolved (F): F

The randomizer provided me with.....Combee, Tentacool, and Baltoy! So I'll be using those for my playthrough. Once I get my user bar made, I'll post it here as an example for the rest of you!

SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS
    If you're signing up for a challenge, and you have the ability to provide yourself with an egg or a baby form of the pokemon (at level 5 maximum), whether it be through trading or hacking, please include that in your response so I may consider that when randomizing your team! Thank you!

And best of luck to all Challengers!
      #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 2 Weeks Ago (12:41 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
    Approved!

Just one thing could be added to the main post, that is kinda standard to have: List of Challengers and Champions. Also are you taking part of your Challenge?
      #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 1 Week Ago (3:57 AM).
    Tactician from Renais

Nature: Bold
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Janp View Post
      Approved!

Just one thing could be added to the main post, that is kinda standard to have: List of Challengers and Champions. Also are you taking part of your Challenge?
      Ah! Yes, that was one thing I realized I forgot to add after submitting my request. I'll add that to the thread now. And I hadn't thought about taking part in it myself (though, I do see that is something most people do, which makes sense. If I'm breaking a sort of unspoken agreement by not taking my own challenge, then I shall update the thread as well with my intended challenge!)

Quick Reply