• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Being an online competitive battler and also playing through the fourth generation I have to say, it depends! In-game wise, I would advise that you don't fret over your Pokemon's nature too much seeing as it only makes a small impact. However competitively natures do make a great difference surprisingly. Let's take a look at a Pokemon with a Relaxed nature. Relaxed raises Defense and lowers Speed, yes? Lugia has fantastic defenses and the added boost makes it incredibly bulky, which is always great. However the speed factor, we need to look at. Speed, speed, speed. This stat can make all the difference on who moves first. Lugia is naturally bulky and can take a few good hits, so unless you're really upset about being outspeeded and taking a bit of damage I'd say that Relaxed is a good nature, seeing as the speed drop shouldn't matter too much, in my opinion. n__n;

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
No. Relaxed isn't a good nature on Lugia at all. Lugia is extremely fast for a wall and wasting away that Speed is just detrimental. Lugia needs it high base 110 Speed to outspeed other walls so that it can do whatever it has to do before it gets Taunted.

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2013
It's a shiny though, I think the speed is not to bad it's 150 for level 70 but because of being relaxed nature it boosts defense and it also has good Ivs for defense I think (capable of taking hits)

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
I've finally beaten the Elite Four and Cynthia in Platinum (yay!), and am now in what I think is the Survival Area--near Routes 229-230. Could someone please point me to a walk-through for that area? I'm having trouble reaching the item in this screenshot...

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I've finally beaten the Elite Four and Cynthia in Platinum (yay!), and am now in what I think is the Survival Area--near Routes 229-230. Could someone please point me to a walk-through for that area? I'm having trouble reaching the item in this screenshot...

On the other side of where you are, if you can see the rock, there is a cut tree under it, just cut it down and collect the item.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
Where the heck is that tree?

On the other side of where you are, if you can see the rock, there is a cut tree under it, just cut it down and collect the item.

How do I spot the tree? The usual "face the rock and press A" method revealed nothing; will the Dowsing app (which I've seldom needed) be any help?

EDIT: I tried the Dowsing app, clicking just east of my location (where the rock would be); the tree is still unrevealed. :(

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
How do I spot the tree? The usual "face the rock and press A" method revealed nothing; will the Dowsing app (which I've seldom needed) be any help?

EDIT: I tried the Dowsing app, clicking just east of my location (where the rock would be); the tree is still unrevealed. :(

The tile one tile down from the rock, there is a cut tree, it is just hidden by the big tree down from it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2013
Is magickarp worth it?

I recently restarted pearl. And was wondering. IS it worth it to train magikarp to garydos? Or no?

Cassiopeiia

Floating
Years
You can't really go wrong with Gyarados. It has great bulk and very high attack, and it learns very useful moves such as Ice Fang, Aqua Tail and Dragon Dance, plus lots more through TM, Earthquake for example.

Evolving at Lv. 20 is actually quite early, it will definitely prove an asset to your team. ^_^

Magnetic

Underground Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2018
If you have an exp. share, absolutely. As mentioned, Gyarados is a beast. But if you don't, I'm not sure I have the patience to put it into battle and take it out right away, over and over.

Cassiopeiia

Floating
Years
Yeah, that's the obvious downside with Magikarp. You could work around this however, simply by not capturing a Magikarp lower than Lv. 19. Relatively early in the game, at Route 209, you get the Good Rod, capable of capturing Magikarp as high as lv. 25.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
He's always a staple in my early parties. Just grind early on with him, switching magikarp out. The patience brings a nice reward.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Yes, I always use Gyarados as my Water type. I just use a Exp.Share or give it to the daycare when training it since it's quite troublesome to train as it only learns splash tackle and flail. :3

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
Ok I'm trying to get a houndour with the egg move sucker punch, I have a male rattata with that move and a female hondour in the DC but the the hatched egg is not picking up the move, why?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I wasn't ever particularly good with knowing what to do when breeding, but after looking around a little I've figured out the problem. Houndour can get the Egg Move Sucker Punch in only Gen V, not Gen IV. In Gen IV it can't so that's why you're not getting Sucker Punch even though you're doing the breeding egg move method right. However, Houndour can still learn Sucker Punch from a Move Tutor in Gen IV, so you can always go to the Move Tutor as well and learn it! :)

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
You can find the Move Tutor who teaches Sucker Punch on Route 212 in Platinum exclusively! In D/P however if you go to the same location you'll just find a lady who used to work in the Weather Institute in Hoenn. The Move Tutor will teach you moves for shards and yeah, hope this helped! :>

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
Moving to the 4th Gen Help Thread. Simple questions belong in that thread, so please post any future questions there.

[ Moved ]

Sorry Curious, I clicked the 4th gen. help link at the top of the page, if this needed to be moved you may need to check into that and delete this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back