• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
Now I have to think of another challenge for me to do during class... any ideas?

Also happy birthday for yesterday Inferno!

Thanks. :)

^ That's what I was thinking to. It bugs me that most challenges don't allow them. I know it's a challenge, but in the cases where you get to pick your teams, it'd be nice if you could at least have one legendary. Like if I did a mono-ice run in Emerald, I wouldn't be able to use Regice. I love Regice, and it's an Ice type, one of the few in the game, shouldn't I be able to use it? Maybe legendaries under a certain BST? idk.

I honestly don't know where I stand on this. I usually don't allow legendaries in my challenges unless there is some special case, but I remember doing the Favorite Challenge V2, and I ended up getting to use a Darkrai. It was like a breath of fresh air for me, because I hadn't used a legendary in like any challenges or anything, excluding my 151 solos.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen May 26, 2012
I agree with you guys. Why limit Legendaries? We're already having to follow so many rules. Not to mention there are pokemon like Dragonite who trump Legendaries in terms of power and in the challenges where Legendaries are banned, I just go "Fine, I'll mess things up with Dragonite"

Hence why I would always allow Legendaries as in fact, my final teams nowadays never use Legendaries.

Anywho, I've got alot of free time so if no-one sees any problem with the Petit Challenge idea, I'll go through the pokedex looking for the pokemon who qualify.

Enigma

Years
I agree with you guys. Why limit Legendaries? We're already having to follow so many rules. Not to mention there are pokemon like Dragonite who trump Legendaries in terms of power and in the challenges where Legendaries are banned, I just go "Fine, I'll mess things up with Dragonite"
I don't think I've ever actually thought about it this way. This brought up an interesting scenario in my mind; what if instead of limiting legendaries, BSTs, like Syd said earlier, became the basis for what was and wasn't permitted to be used? I'm not too good with recognizing/remembering good BSTs off the top of my mind, but I'm pretty sure 600 or something is what pseudo-legendaries are around. Maybe everything over ~600 shouldn't be permitted rather than just legendaries in general.

This also raises the point of "for fun" challenges vs. "serious" challenges. Some people like one style of challenges more than the other. Limits in challenges can tip the balance for determining which is which, and, ultimately, the amount of interest some people have in a challenge or "challenge style".

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years

I don't think I've ever actually thought about it this way. This brought up an interesting scenario in my mind; what if instead of limiting legendaries, BSTs, like Syd said earlier, became the basis for what was and wasn't permitted to be used? I'm not too good with recognizing/remembering good BSTs off the top of my mind, but I'm pretty sure 600 or something is what pseudo-legendaries are around. Maybe everything over ~600 shouldn't be permitted rather than just legendaries in general.

This also raises the point of "for fun" challenges vs. "serious" challenges. Some people like one style of challenges more than the other. Limits in challenges can tip the balance for determining which is which, and, ultimately, the amount of interest some people have in a challenge or "challenge style".

I've given up trying to figure out if I like no legendary rules or not. I've done so many challenges that honestly, I see a Starmie/Lapras (Red/Blue) or Alakazam (GSC) more powerful than a legendary with slow exp gain and obtained pretty late in the game. I mean, I've soloed the game with the first 50ish Pokemon (fully evolved), and none of them were TOO awful. I guess what I'm saying is that nobody is really TOO overpowered. If I can solo the game with a Pidgeot, then so what if I can also solo the game with a Mewtwo?

As for fun vs. serious, I know that I do challenges pretty much just for fun, I'll do one here or there when I start to get a little bored. But, that doesn't mean that I'm not serious about the challenge when I start. And yeah, every once in a while I do something that is tougher on the challenge scale, but there are hardly any challenges that are actually hard. With the exception of the survival challenge, maybe. That was just cray. And I'm going to do it sometime.

Meh, ramblings of an old challenger.

d4rka8isz

Is Confused.
Years
Has there been a challenge where you can only use Pokemon that don't have an evolutionary family? It seems like a simple enough idea for it to be thought of before. Although now I think of it, it seems like a bad challenge since there are few Pokemon that don't have an evolutionary family, let alone one that appears early in the game.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
None that I remember. Too bad most Pokemon have evo lines now, huh? Ruins some good candidates. :( lol

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
You could always do it generationwise and not serieswise. So like you could use Tangela in Red/Blue since it doesn't have an evolution yet. Its sort of like you're just trading in some Pokemon that get evolutions for new ones that don't have them yet.

11wildy

Me!
Years
With the exception of the survival challenge, maybe. That was just cray. And I'm going to do it sometime.

I did it. On Leafgreen. the point is to save after every trainer, so you can reset after any crit, status or other lucky thing. You basically need to plan everything out perfectly. It all ended with me having to use a blaze boosted Overheat from Charizard to Champions Rhydon to OHKO it. And the beginning will probably be worse than late-game, since by then you have more items and flexibility.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years

That's actually an interesting thought with the "over 600 BST" rule. Since most aren't obtainable till late in the game, it might actually be okay power wise, since most of the time the team you have is gonna be about the same level anyway, and they wouldn't have as much EVs either (for those who just play the game regularly). The thing for me is that since they don't evolve their stats are way too good to use early on.

Anyway I think we would have to say only one can be used, and it has to be under 600 bst. That would probably have to be it, since the 600 bst ones are just too powerful with sig moves and stuff IMO.

Legally obtainable legendaries that qualify are:

Kanto has the legendary birds.
Johto, the beasts.
Hoenn, the regis.
sinnoh, the lake trio.
unova, the musketeer trio and thundurus/tornadus.

Also, you can't catch it/use it until you have at least 7 badges. That way you're not just beating up the competition.

What do you guys think? I'm actually thinking about maybe putting this in the monocolor challenge... (just in time for me to use regirock! lol)

Last edited:

Enigma

Years
Has there been a challenge where you can only use Pokemon that don't have an evolutionary family? It seems like a simple enough idea for it to be thought of before. Although now I think of it, it seems like a bad challenge since there are few Pokemon that don't have an evolutionary family, let alone one that appears early in the game.

I think I actually remember something like that, but I don't think it lasted too long.

That's actually an interesting thought with the "over 600 BST" rule. Since most aren't obtainable till late in the game, it might actually be okay power wise, since most of the time the team you have is gonna be about the same level anyway, and they wouldn't have as much EVs either (for those who just play the game regularly). The thing for me is that since they don't evolve their stats are way too good to use early on.

Anyway I think we would have to say only one can be used, and it has to be under 600 bst. That would probably have to be it, since the 600 bst ones are just too powerful with sig moves and stuff IMO.

Legally obtainable legendaries that qualify are:

Kanto has the legendary birds.
Johto, the beasts.
Hoenn, the regis.
sinnoh, the lake trio.
unova, the musketeer trio and thundurus/tornadus.

Also, you can't catch it/use it until you have at least 7 badges. That way you're not just beating up the competition.

What do you guys think? I'm actually thinking about maybe putting this in the monocolor challenge... (just in time for me to use regirock! lol)

I already made a list of all of my future teams, so this wouldn't affect me ;_;

I think I'd be pretty okay with this. I'm really happy about gaining access to those legendaries listed from the first 3 gens (the last two I don't really care much about). Which Pokemon were the ones at exactly 600?

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years

I already made a list of all of my future teams, so this wouldn't affect me ;_;

I think I'd be pretty okay with this. I'm really happy about gaining access to those legendaries listed from the first 3 gens (the last two I don't really care much about). Which Pokemon were the ones at exactly 600?

Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Latios, Latias, Manaphy, Heatran, Shaymin, Cresselia, Darkrai, Victini, Landorus, Genesect, and Meoletta. I think that's all the bst 600 ones.

By the way, psuedo-legaries are still allowed of course ;)

Well, I'm still thinking about it...

Seriously, should I put it in the monocolor thread?

too bad we didn't think about doing this earlier, then I could've used Entei in my brown mono on SS...

Enigma

Years

Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Latios, Latias, Manaphy, Heatran, Shaymin, Cresselia, Darkrai, Victini, Landorus, Genesect, and Meoletta. I think that's all the bst 600 ones.

By the way, psuedo-legaries are still allowed of course ;)

Well, I'm still thinking about it...

Seriously, should I put it in the monocolor thread?

too bad we didn't think about doing this earlier, then I could've used Entei in my brown mono on SS...

IMO those listed pokemon should be fine as long as that previously mentioned 7th gym clause is in effect.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
IMO those listed pokemon should be fine as long as that previously mentioned 7th gym clause is in effect.
Well, none of them can be obtained legally before the end of most challenges, except for Landorus, since they are all either glitched in (Mew, Celebi), event only/traded in (Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin, Manaphy, Genesect, Meoletta), or only available in the postgame (Lati@s, Heatran, Cresselia, Darkrai, Landorus), which isn't included in most challenges (B/W is the exception).

So in my mind there wasn't really any point to including them. The ones I listed before are all found before the Elite Four and in all playthroughs. That way those people who play emulators have the same chances of getting them as do those on carts.

Well, I'm still not sure if I should include them or not in the monocolor. Feedback from more people would be nice.

Enigma

Years

Well, none of them can be obtained legally before the end of most challenges, except for Landorus, since they are all either glitched in (Mew, Celebi), event only/traded in (Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin, Manaphy, Genesect, Meoletta), or only available in the postgame (Lati@s, Heatran, Cresselia, Darkrai, Landorus), which isn't included in most challenges (B/W is the exception).

So in my mind there wasn't really any point to including them. The ones I listed before are all found before the Elite Four and in all playthroughs. That way those people who play emulators have the same chances of getting them as do those on carts.

Well, I'm still not sure if I should include them or not in the monocolor. Feedback from more people would be nice.
I forgot about this. I suppose the ones you originally listed should be just fine then. :)

Like vappy said, you could do a trial run of it for a while to see how it goes. Might bring in some more challengers looking to do their first challenge since it'll probably be a little easier for them.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Weight class?

Hey guys, does anyone know if there's ever been a weight class challenge? Like, using this list, only using pokemon from a certain division? Super Heavyweight would be interesting because you'd be limited to Snorlax and Metagross without legendaries. The only major issue I can see would be that a Gen V Super Heavyweight Run would be impossible if hacking wasn't an option for you.

[Edit]: Looking at this closer, it seems like it would more trouble than it's worth. Even if Snorlaxes and Metagrosses were available in Gen V, in all other generation they wouldn't be available till at least halfway through the run.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
There was at one point I think, but it's probably died off. You can look around for it. Remember, threads in this forum can be up to two months old before it's considered dead.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Hey guys, does anyone know if there's ever been a weight class challenge? Like, using this list, only using pokemon from a certain division? Super Heavyweight would be interesting because you'd be limited to Snorlax and Metagross without legendaries. The only major issue I can see would be that a Gen V Super Heavyweight Run would be impossible if hacking wasn't an option for you.

[Edit]: Looking at this closer, it seems like it would more trouble than it's worth. Even if Snorlaxes and Metagrosses were available in Gen V, in all other generation they wouldn't be available till at least halfway through the run.

I see nothing wrong with the idea, but the problem I have with it is that t doesn't seem very fun to do. All you would be worrying about is Low Kick, Heavy Slam and Grass Knot. That's just my thoughts anyway.

11wildy

Me!
Years
I once did the random word challenge with the word weight. On Crystal. It came down to me using Gyarados, Mantine, Graveler, Onix and Snorlax. 2 water flying and 2 ground rock ftw! Tbh, Mantine was the best of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back