The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: Main Series Games Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon
How does EV Training in SM compare to EV Training in past generations?

Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon Alola, and welcome to the Alola region, Trainer! This is the forum for the first games of the seventh generation, Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! Are you Team Rowlet, Litten, or Popplio? Do you prefer Solgaleo or Lunala? How do you feel about Alola forms? Talk about those and more here!

Old 4 Days Ago (8:15 AM).
→weARElimitless
PokéCommunity Daily Staff

Nature: Quiet
This is going to be a pretty interesting discussion, I think!

So in SM, there are two ways you can EV Train:

Isle Evelup: This island in PokePelago can be used to increase your Pokemon's EVs. This is more time-consuming, but mostly ensures (I think?) that you can increase multiple Pokemon EV's simultaneously. As mentioned though, it is time-consuming, taking roughly anywhere between 24-48 (or more?) hours for results to show.

SOS Chaining: This one is my personal favourite simply because it's so much faster and, with Power items being buffed and including Pokerus, you can be done EV Training a Pokemon in minutes.

How do these two methods compare to EV Training methods from past generations?

we're living limitless

Relevant Advertising!

Old 4 Days Ago (10:50 AM).

SOS Chaining isn't bad, but horde EV training was better. Lot simpler, just as fast. Typically the stuff you could summon via hordes was limited in each area, making it easier to get the desired Pokemon to show up in the first place. Then you don't have to deal with weakening it and popping an Adrenaline Orb and then hoping that the RNG doesn't waste your time by not calling an ally Pokemon. With hordes you just Sweet Scent, click your spread move, rinse and repeat till done.

Buffing Power items was nice though and I wish they did that last gen.

Isle Evelup is nice if you want to EV train a bunch of stuff (and generally in the same stats) but don't mind waiting.
Old 4 Days Ago (11:19 AM).
Pokemon Veteran

Nature: Calm
I do SOS chaining, it's easy and fast to rack ev with a power item.
Old 3 Days Ago (5:14 AM).
→weARElimitless

For me, I like SOS chaining for EV training. I've never really bothered with previous methods of EV Training all that much (for some reason in XY, I never really bothered with Horde Battles all that much) so I suppose my view is heavily skewed in this regard towards SOS chaining. :x

we're living limitless

Old 3 Days Ago (5:27 AM).
Give me more.

I prefer SOS training personally.

I use Pelago when I'm away from the DS for long periods of time.

Never really bothered with Horde battles personally. Yes, the battles are easier to set up and not subject to RNG, but obtaining the EV's takes longer (probably because the power items only give you four EV's instead of 8 EV's). I more or less used super training on ORAS for Ev's.

I think my one criticism of SOS battles would be the RNG. I think, if they had been restricted to Totem battles automatically and only started in the wild due to using an Ad. Orb, they would have been better.

Helps that my False Swiper is Weavile, whose Pressure helps to call out Wild Pokemon.

Old 2 Days Ago (11:01 PM).
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I barely even used horde EV training in my Gen VI stint; I mainly used Super Training as a semi-precise way of complex EV spreads. This gen, I use SOS battles for 252/252 spreads and Evel Up for complex EV spreads, as well as for Pokemon needing HP and defensive EVs; those are a bit harder to find and battle against compared to offensive stats and Speed, IMO.

Old 1 Day Ago (1:14 PM).

Nature: Jolly
In the time it takes for me to find the Pokémon I need to chain in SM, I could have trained like two full teams in gen 6 (because we all know, when there's one specific Pokémon you're looking for, suddenly it never appears). Once you finally find the Pokémon you need, using an Adrenaline Orb doesn't guarantee the Pokémon in question will call for help, so a lot of times I find myself stuck waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the Pokémon to call for help to keep the chain going. So even though it takes only 6-7 Pokémon to fully EV train one stat, it can take a very long time.

Compared to horde EV training, where certain routes/caves had only hordes of a specific kind, so all you had to do was go there, take a step into the grass, use Sweet Scent/Honey and then bam, you know you're about to EV train the right stat. Use a spread move, rinse and repeat like, 4 times. It's simple and very quick.

Unlike SOS battles where you have to keep one Pokémon around and hope it doesn't spam Growl or Sand Attack or whatever and make it so even your Lv100 Pokémon has a hard time knocking anything out after a few turns.

Poké Pelago isn't awful if you don't plan on playing for a few days and can afford to toss in your Pokémon and wait, but if you need something EV trained in a reasonable amount of time, Poké Pelago isn't the answer. I can see how it would be helpful for unique spreads, but even then, Super Training was a much faster, more convenient way of reaching those obscure numbers.

I appreciate that they buffed the EV training held Items this gen, but to be fair, they kind of had to. SOS EV training without the buffed Items would have been an absolute nightmare.

Old 1 Day Ago (3:36 PM).

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivvon View Post
In the time it takes for me to find the Pokémon I need to chain in SM, I could have trained like two full teams in gen 6 (because we all know, when there's one specific Pokémon you're looking for, suddenly it never appears). Once you finally find the Pokémon you need, using an Adrenaline Orb doesn't guarantee the Pokémon in question will call for help, so a lot of times I find myself stuck waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the Pokémon to call for help to keep the chain going. So even though it takes only 6-7 Pokémon to fully EV train one stat, it can take a very long time.

Compared to horde EV training, where certain routes/caves had only hordes of a specific kind, so all you had to do was go there, take a step into the grass, use Sweet Scent/Honey and then bam, you know you're about to EV train the right stat. Use a spread move, rinse and repeat like, 4 times. It's simple and very quick.

Unlike SOS battles where you have to keep one Pokémon around and hope it doesn't spam Growl or Sand Attack or whatever and make it so even your Lv100 Pokémon has a hard time knocking anything out after a few turns.

Poké Pelago isn't awful if you don't plan on playing for a few days and can afford to toss in your Pokémon and wait, but if you need something EV trained in a reasonable amount of time, Poké Pelago isn't the answer. I can see how it would be helpful for unique spreads, but even then, Super Training was a much faster, more convenient way of reaching those obscure numbers.

I appreciate that they buffed the EV training held Items this gen, but to be fair, they kind of had to. SOS EV training without the buffed Items would have been an absolute nightmare.
This basically sums up how I feel about EV training in S/M. If adrenaline orbs 100% guaranteed ally pokemon op appear then S.O.S. wouldn't be so bad.
Old 1 Day Ago (3:50 PM).
We're comin' after you tonight~!

Nature: Modest
I'm EV-training my XYZ-event Zygarde right now... without playing the game... by playing Shuffle's Volcanion EB instead.

Gotta love the Pelago's Isle Evelup.
Old 1 Day Ago (8:37 PM).
→weARElimitless

It's interesting how people put Horde battles on a pedestal. I never really took notice of them all that much in Gen VI.

we're living limitless

Old 16 Hours Ago (7:19 AM).

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Choice Specs
I've never enjoyed EV training as much as I do this gen. I can shiny hunt AND EV train my pokemon at the exact same time! It's so much fun and so simple!

Showdown | Christos | smod
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links