• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
Yes, Heracross is there, I'm using it myself. Other good candidates would be Pinsir or the already mentioned Armaldo. I disadvise using Shedinja, its weaknesses are VERY common and even something that can't hit it super-effective can still kill it with Confusion or Poison. Get something useful instead, or leave the slot open for a HM Slave, HMs are a lot more important in Hoenn than before (especially surf, lol)

If he was playing emerald, I would disagree. But he's not, so Shedinja is mostly worthless.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
- Went through Mt. Moon with only problem being peoples' Pidgeys. I swear my game is hexed, one Sand Attack is enough to make Wartortle fail everything :(
- Picked Dome fossil
- Still haven't caught a single Pokémon... I forgot where you could buy Magikarp. But I'll catch one with the rod in Vermilion. (probably a Bellsprout or something for CUT, as well)
- Beat rival, his Bulbasaur was on the verge of beating me but Wartortle's Tackle got a critical hit. THANK YOU GAME.
- Beat Nugget bridge and currently fighting my way to Bill.

rbspr008.png

Wartortle lv 25
. Water Gun
. Tackle
. Bite
. Bubble

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
If I recall correctly, Wallace has at least two pokemon, Gyarados and Wailord, that cannot hit Shedinja. I found this to be painful, as Gyarados should have bite for that very reason.

It's almost as though Wallace decided that pure power was better than elegant strategy when picking his movesets...

Years
Beat the last 2 remaning gyms, team magma (once again) and groudon (Ice Beam almost OHKOd xD). Saved outside of the Pokemon Center before Victory Road. Not sure whether I should try to beat all the trainers on the sea routes I skipped or not.

Team:
Spr_3r_284.png

Flash / Masquerain f Lv.53 @ Nevermeltice
Modest Nature / Intimidate
- Bubblebeam
- Stun Spore
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
Only used for Groudon, some Flying types and double battles since the last update. Nevermeltice>Mystic Water because Ice Beam is way more useful than Bubblebeam. I'm considering to teach it Water Pulse, but not really sure since BBeam has 5 more BP...
Spr_3r_214.png

Sheracross / Heracross f Lv.51 @ Shell Bell
Naughty Nature / Swarm
- Earthquake
- Bulk Up
- Rock Tomb
- Brick Break
With EQ, Heracross can now hit Poison types like Tenta. Rest didn't change, except for the item. Well, the Shell Bell is the best item in Hoenn, can't deny that, and I think Hera can make better use of it than Masquerain.

Marshtomp Lv. 25 (Dive, Surf, Rocksmash, Waterfall)
Tropius Lv. 26 (Fly, Flash, Cut, Strength)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Skipped the Cerulean Gym for now. Caught Magikarp lv 5 in Vermilion waters. I've beaten all the trainers on the roads near Vermilion and am currently fighting on SS Anne.

rbspr008.png

Wartortle lv 32
- Water Gun
- Bite
- Tackle
- Withdraw

rbspr129.png

Magikarp lv 16
- Splash
- Tackle

Also, where do you get the Shell Bell in Hoenn?

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Hey, I was wondering.. While trying not to get tired of my Grass mono, can I start a new one? Cos' I was thinking of doing a Poison or an Electric mono-challenge, and then complete my Grass mono-challenge later, or sometime during my Poison/Electric mono?

Years
Also, where do you get the Shell Bell in Hoenn?
In the Shoal Cave, north of Mossdeep. First you have to collect 8 Items, 4 can be obtained at high tide, the other 4 at low tide. Then you have to give them to some old man standing in the cave and he will give you the Shell Bell instead.

Hey, I was wondering.. While trying not to get tired of my Grass mono, can I start a new one? Cos' I was thinking of doing a Poison or an Electric mono-challenge, and then complete my Grass mono-challenge later, or sometime during my Poison/Electric mono?
I think you can do that, I'm pretty sure it has been done before.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024

In the Shoal Cave, north of Mossdeep. First you have to collect 8 Items, 4 can be obtained at high tide, the other 4 at low tide. Then you have to give them to some old man standing in the cave and he will give you the Shell Bell instead.
Ah, right. I remember now that I have done that before :3 Oh well, a bit longer til Hoenn.

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
In gen 1, critical hits ratio depends on the speed difference between the Pokemon, and since a Charizard in its high 30s is a lot faster than the level 15-20 mostly unevolved Pokemon around Vermilion, you will of course do a lot of crits.

That explains a lot. Thanks for that. Too bad the hits probably won't last by the time I hit the Elite Four. I guess it would make life too easy.

---

Fire
Monotype Challenge: Part Five - Team Member(s) At Last!

Trainer Name: Seb
Badges: 3
Generation: I (on Blue)

Log:

• Defeated all the trainers on the route to where the Snorlax is (I don't pay attention to route numbers, sorry). Snorlax looks funny with its small sprite.
  • Went back to Cerulean and went eastward to the Rock Tunnel. I have to say, I really love the effect of the darkness of the Rock Tunnel. You really feel lost in there, and you can't even see your own character. I was never fond of the random ring of light around your character in Gen III. Does your character have a torch or what?
  • Realized the hardest part about going solo with one Pokemon is that you run out of PP really fast...
  • Arrived in Lavender Town, the town of creepy, but amazing retro music.
  • FINALLY CAUGHT ANOTHER POKEMON. WELCOME TO THE TEAM, VULPIX. (Luckily caught it with a Pokeball with barely any damage given. I had my 3 HM Slaves, Clefairy, Bellsprout, and Pidgey try to hurt it, but they all got destroyed.)
  • Named her Trixie. Yes, I'm making this Vulpix a girl.
  • Released Kristen the Clefairy (aka Flash HM Slave). So long, farewell!
  • Received HM Fly. Taught it to Pippi the Pidgey.
  • Insert grinding to get Trixie to a reasonable level.
  • I'm going to make an executive decision and choose to add a Flareon to my team. I honestly don't care if anyone thinks that Flareon sucks. It's adorable. Part of this challenge is using Pokemon you may not necessarily like or aren't as strong.
  • Insert more grinding. The results of said grinding are:

1. Burned about 4 Spearows in a row with Trixie's Ember.
  2. General luck hax with Trixie's Ember.
  3. I got both Trixie and Felix (my Flareon) to the 30s (Trixie learned Flamethrower).
  4. Ringo gained 3 levels from switching after Trixie and Felix's PP ran out, or their HP got low. He also learned Flamethrower.
Team:
rbspr006.png

Ringo (Level 48)
- Flamethrower
- Ember (mainly here for training purposes, so I could last longer without going back to a PokeCenter, okay?)
- Slash
- Leer
rbspr037.png

Trixie (Level 35)
- Flamethrower
- Quick Attack
- Dig
- Confuse Ray
rbspr136.png

Felix (Level 33)
- Body Slam
- Quick Attack
- Ember
- Tackle

---

... I think I overleveled just a tad bit.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Okay.

- Made it through SS Anne and beat rival without troubles. Ivysaur died from 2 Bites from Wartortle.
- Went through the whole Diglett's Cave to get HM05 and then realized I skipped Cerulean gym so went back.
- Challenged Misty's trainers as well as Misty herself. And won using only Gyarados! (In Diglett's Cave, Magikarp evolved into Gyarados :3 )

I'm really lousy at movesets. Since I've only played in-game I've never bothered doing anything fancy with breeding and TMs and stuff, and mainly used the pokémons' natural moves ^^"

I guess when you do monotype, you'll have to put strange moves onto your pokémon, for them to withstand pokémon they are weak to?

And, should I teach Bubblebeam or Water Gun to Gyarados? Was gonna keep one TM for Vaporeon as well.

rbspr008.png

Wartortle lv 34
- Water Gun
- Bite
- Tackle
- Withdraw

rbspr130.png

Gyarados lv 21
- Bite
- Tackle
- Splash

(HM slave) Bellsprout
- Cut

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Alright! So, after trying to decide on whether to start a Poison- or an Electric-mono, I eventually decided on Normal. Don't ask why, I just figured I'd rather do Normal. So, here goes.

1st Kanto entry
Version: Red
Type: Normal

I'll skip all the boring stuff. I've just beaten Lt. Surge, who turned out to be a complete joke - Raticate KO'd every single Pokémon with Dig. Misty was pretty easy, too. Raticate spammed Hyper Fang, but was eventually killed by Starmie, whom Pidgeotto took out. Brock was easier than expected - That was before Rattata evolved, but he still managed to defeat him by spamming Quick Attack. And yes, I did grind like hell before challenging him, so he was seriously underleveled. Anyway, here's my team so far:

rbspr020.png
Raticate, Lv. 33
- Bubblebeam
- Dig
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Fang

rbspr017.png
Pidgeotto, Lv. 33
- Gust
- Wing Attack
- Quick Attack
- Whirlwind

Greeeny

Yes, that's three E's.
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2011
I want to get palkia for my diamond, and the pearl exclusive pokemon, So I'll give it a shot and go through pearl monotype. I'm going to go with bug pokemon. I've never even kept a bug pokemon in my party for very long unless I was evolving it. Might as well try bug pokemon out.

I would start with my FR, but I want to wait until I can trade the pokemon with my diamond before I start a game that I don't want to restart. Same with my sapphire (of course it would help if I didn't give my LG, ruby and emerald to my now ex-friend to "borrow", I'll have to try and get those back, but he probably doesn't even have them anymore).... maybe I could get the games used...
You have to play it in order, start with Kanto, then play through Johto and Hoenn before Sinnoh. So if you don't want to erase your games, I suggest using an emulator.

---

Player name: Tom
Game: Pokemon Crystal
Type: Rock
Badges: 2
Play Time: 2:55

Latest Progress:
I had started a game on Crystal a couple of weeks ago, I named the player Tom (nostalgic as it was always my characters name).
Started with Chikorita.
Did all the beginning stuff, got the Pokedex, beat Rival (forget his name).
Got Pokeballs.
Told my mother I was off on an adventure, she said I was too old to be playing Pokemon.
-I hope this is OK, that I started the game a few weeks back, this is as far as I got so it should be valid, I hope. :D
Onwards is since yesterday:
Headed to Route 46 and caught a Geodude.
Traveled to Violet City and challenged the Gym immediately. Won the Feather(?) badge and got TM Mud Slap, which I used on Geodude, should have saved it. xD
Headed to Sprout Tower expecting the worst, but left with over half of Geodudes HP.
Healed Geodude and received the Egg from Elms Aide.
Headed South to Union Cave while training Geodude.
Entered Union Cave and caught an Onix.
Made it through Union Cave and arrived in Azalea town where I soon put an end to Team Rockets slowpoke tail business.
Challenged the gym and won the Hive badge with ease.
Headed West to Ilex Forest where I stumbled upon my rival, which I think I must have called "???", again for nostalgia. xD
Defeated him and moved onwards to Ilex Forest where I chased a farfech'd for some guy that lost him.
Got HM Cut and traveled through Ilex Forest.
Made it to Route 34 and got an egg from the daycare couple, I heard there's a high percentage of the Pokemon in the egg being shiny, is this true?
Arrived to Goldenrod City, healed my team of two, and saved the game.

Team:
Geodude - Level 19
Spr_2g_074.png

My trusted starter Pokemon, nothing will replace my Geodude.

Onix - Level 19
Spr_2s_095.png

Met in Union Cave, has a solid defense.

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Fire Monotype Challenge: Part Six and a Half? - This is a Sneaking Mission, The Use of Stealth Will Be Required aka Hooray! Buttons! / Total Destruction

Badges: 4 (Halfway there)

Log:

• Defeated Rival Holden at the Pokemon Tower. Realized I was incredibly overleveled.
  • Defeated the Rocket at the Game Corner, pushed a button, and infiltrated the Rocket Hideout.
  • Seb is totally the next Solid Snake. Instead of trying to secretly head downstairs, he just has to attack every Rocket in sight. Yeah, it's stealth.
  • Confronted Giovanni. Trixie led off and used Dig against his Onix, then finished it off with a Flamethrower. Felix defeated Ryhorn with two Body Slams (one of them was a Critical Hit). Ringo hasn't seen any action in a while, so I sent him against Kangaskhan and 1HKOd her with a Flamethrower.
  • Decided to face the Celadon Gym
Celadon Gym Battle Log:

• Does this even need a log? I'm on a Fire Monotype run, and I'm freaking overleveled. I think I'll just comment on the frightning sprites. Victreebel looks like jello, Tangela scares me (always have, always will), and Vileplume looks deformed. Its flower is huge. Also, I commend Vileplume for actually landing a Poison Powder on Felix. I ran the entire gym with him, and 1HKOd everything except for Erika's Pokemon. Victreebel failed to land a Stun Spore, Tangela failed to land a Bind, so Vileplume getting in an attack was quite refreshing. Too bad it didn't do a thing.
Team:
rbspr006.png

Ringo (Level 48)
- Flamethrower
- Ember
- Slash
- Leer
rbspr037.png

Trixie (Level 37)
- Flamethrower
- Quick Attack
- Dig
- Confuse Ray
rbspr136.png

Felix (Level 39)
- Body Slam
- Quick Attack
- Ember
- Tackle

Years
I think i'd like to give this a shot. Think i will go with fire. Playing blue, gold, ruby and platinum In fact i think i will make my first, very large update

-picked charmander
-made way through the forest easily, with charmander evolving along the way
- was over leveled enough against brock there wasn't a problem, more so due to the lack of rock attacks
-made way through mt. moon easily
-was really over leveled against misty, and surge for that matter
-charmelon evovled just before rock tunnel
-caught vulpix outside lavender

Years
Named character Agamo
Chose Squirtle for HM SLave named HM Slave
Defeated Rival
Got Pokedex
Went to Viridian forest
Why can't I find Caterpie and Weedle Metapod and Kakuna yes
Caught Caterpie Lv 5
I HATE METAPODS
Caught Kakuna Lv 4
Caterpie Evolved
Metapod Evolved
Left Viridian Forest
Went Back in Viridian Forest
Evvolved Kakuna (STILL only knows Harden)
Defeated Brock with Butterfree
Taught Beedrill Bind
Mt. Moon
Caught Paras Lv10
Arrived in Cerulean City
Beat Rival
Met Bill
Beat Misty
Got Cut
Beat Lt. Surge
Paras Evolved
Got to Lavander Town
Got to Celadon City

Team:
Parasect Lv28
rbspr047.png

Attacks:
Leech Life
Stun Spore
Dig
Body Slam

Butterfree Lv 26
rbspr012.png

Attacks:
Confusion
String Shot
Tackle
Sleep Powder

Beedrill Lv25

rbspr015.png

Attacks:
Twineedle
Fury Attack
Bide
Cut

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
Fire Monotype Challenge: Part Seven - I See Dead Pokemon

Badges: 4

Log:

• Started the Pokemon Tower with the Silph Scope in hand
  • I love the creepy music and the funny random outbursts of the possessed channelers
  • Why the hell is it that every single time I don't need/want a Cubone, I see them? I spent 2 hours searching for one in FR, and yet I encounter one first step into the fifth (?) floor of the tower?
  • No matter how many times I see it, the GHOST still freaks me out. I was terrified of it my first time through Yellow.
  • Rescued Mr. Fuji from Team Rocket... I guess. PokeFlute acquired!
  • Began the journey on the Silence Bridge.
Team:
Nothing changed except Felix is now Level 42. I was pretty mad when I realized that Flareons learn Flamethrower at Level 54...

raekuul

Team Anorith Grunt
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 13, 2017
Went so Fuchsia and picked up the two HMs there. My Strength Slave is Hitmonchan.

Working on Silph Co. before taking down Erica, Koga, et al.

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
I decided to continue from last part.

---

Fire
Monotype Challenge: Parts Eight and Nine (I guess?) - It's All Downhill From Here / Of Gold Teeth and Ninjas

Badges: 5

Log:

• Woke up Snorlax and defeated it just for the heck of it. I don't feel like buying Great/Ultra Balls to catch it.
  • Made it through the Silence Bridge with Trixie learning Fire Spin. I can finally evolve her!
  • Flew back to Celadon, bought a Fire Stone, and began the awesome.
  • Decided to tackle the Cycling Road as well with a new Ninetales. Oh, and defeated the other Snorlax with a Critical Hit Flamethrower.
  • Bought some drugs vitamins at the Celadon Mall because I have a ton of money. Not buying Pokeballs and not needing Potions due to extreme-overleveling (and selling useless TMs) results in a lot of money.
  • Realized I forgot to get the bike in Cerulean. D'oh!
  • Bike acquired!
  • I'm liking the horribly broken Fire Spin in the 1st Gen. Also, fun things happen when you use Dig to avoid a Selfdestruct. I found it amusing, at least.
  • Finished Cycling Road and began the Safari Zone.
  • Threw a rock at almost everything. Caught a Rhyhorn and Nemo the Seaking for Surfing purposes. Found the Gold Teeth. Got HMs Surf and Strength.
Fuschia Gym Battle Log:

• Still ridiculously overleveled. At least I'm not 1HKOing things anymore. I wonder why trainers have Psychic type Pokemon. I thought this was a Poison gym...
  • 1HKOd Koga's 2 Koffings with a Body Slam by Felix. Burned Muk with Trixie's Flamethrower. Critical'd against Weezing with a Flamethrower by Ringo. Soulbadge acquired?
Team:
rbspr006.png

Ringo (Level 49)
- Flamethrower
- Ember
- Slash
- Leer
rbspr038.png

Trixie (Level 47)
- Flamethrower
- Fire Spin
- Dig
- Confuse Ray
rbspr136.png

Felix (Level 49)
- Body Slam
- Fire Spin
- Ember
- Bite

---

Debating whether or not to get a Magmar this late in the game...

Weird

Lazy Guy
Years
Poison

Trainer Name: Acidor
Badges: 0
Generation: III Leaf Green

- Caught a Weedle at Viridian Forest
- Evolved Weedle into Kakuna
- Battled a trainer with two Weedles and a Kakuna ( took 15 minutes, because I only had Poison Sting)
- Evolved Kakuna into Beedrill
- searched half an hour for Nidoran m/w and realised they aren't on route 2
- nearly lost to the guy in Brock's gym

Team:
pkfrlg015.png

-Poison Sting
-String Shot
-Harden
-Fury Cutter

pkfrlg007.png

(HM-Slave)

Next to do: