• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games you didn't think you'd enjoy but did

User Anon 1848

Have you ever gone into a game thinking it wouldn't appeal to you (maybe you got it for free or at a heavy discount) but ended up enjoying yourself? For me this was the case with Super Mario RGP. I don't know why I doubted Nintendo at that point, they managed to make entertaining Mario games for just about every other genre but I didn't think Mario could translate into a good RPG until this game proved me wrong.

Last edited:
Years
I used to think Portal 2 would be boring but then years later I tried it out and really liked it!! That and I used to care nothing for Final Fantasy until I tried XIV. I know that one isn't your traditional FF experience, but it gave me a newfound love for the series and it's become one of my favorite games.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Really wasn't keen on Monster Hunter when my fiance started playing it, but he insisted I'd love it so after a few years of convincing me I finally gave it a shot. Turns out it's my favorite game. :)

Cid

Years
Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA). I went into it knowing it was going to be very different from the Mario that I was used to, but I ended up really enjoying it. Doki Doki Panic is a high quality platformer imo, and it gave us some pretty staple Mario characters nowadays like Shy Guy and Birdo.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Oh, oh, oh I played the GBA Fire Emblem games thinking they would suck and would drop them out of boredom. And I wasn't even wrong, I thought they were awful lmao. Then I replayed them out of sheer curiosity and they grew on me.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i've had a few games like that. i remember picking up tomodachi life when it was new bc i saw a video about it and thought it looked fun and a good way to waste a week, plus best buy was doing a bogo deal on great 3DS titles that i already had, aside from tomodachi life. i thought it would be a great way to get bang for my buck and pick that game up to give it a try and a copy of pokemon x that i gave as a gift to my partner months later. loved tomodachi life more than i thought i would and spent way more than a week on it. i've been wanting to get back into it lately. i know the content is rather lacking and the minigames get tired quickly, but i enjoy creating characters and trying to get people together and unlocking foods and new rooms and stuff. really hoping to see another installment in the series someday that expands on things.

rayman 2 is another one. i knew it was a good game, but if you know me, you know how much i bitch about sucking at platformers and not being able to get hooked on them for very long. my partner gave me his copy of rayman 2 and i decided to give it a play that day and i literally sank 10 hours into it until i finally got to a part i got stuck on. that does not happen to me with platformers and it still shocks me to this day. i don't even know what about it got me hooked? i guess because it wasn't overwhelmingly hard, but it wasn't easy for me either, iirc. the music was also good and idk. i was just having a good time. i'll have to give it a revisit some time to see if it still holds up like that.

another big kicker is persona 5. the hype was real and everyone was into it. a friend of mine accidentally got two copies, having ordered a steelbook copy after preorders on the collector's edition closed and then another place reopened them. so she got two. i mentioned i was gonna see about grabbing a copy from gamestop just to check it out and see how it was and she sold me her steelbook copy for like $50 so hey, not a bad deal at all. i don't think i should explain this one bc if you know me you know i spent like the last two years completely dedicated to persona 5 and still am super into it to this day. i think...this is and always will remain one of the most influential games in my adult life. it brought me so much not just as a video game, but gave me a lot in the real world, too. i'm so grateful to it. and to think it was just a game i got on a whim to see what the hype was about.

Have you ever gone into a gay

all the time

Years
ratchet and clank

it's kinda weird because as someone who has been into jrpg for years on end, I actually didn't think I'd enjoy any of the r&c series. beat 'em up style games are super new to me aside from maybe Devil May Cry, so I figured I'd give r&c a shot. lo and behold it became one of my favourite games to date. im actually thinking of, sometime in the near future, to start re-playing some of them, because i really do miss playing a lot of them.

User Anon 1848

i've had a few games like that. i remember picking up tomodachi life when it was new bc i saw a video about it and thought it looked fun and a good way to waste a week, plus best buy was doing a bogo deal on great 3DS titles that i already had, aside from tomodachi life. i thought it would be a great way to get bang for my buck and pick that game up to give it a try and a copy of pokemon x that i gave as a gift to my partner months later. loved tomodachi life more than i thought i would and spent way more than a week on it. i've been wanting to get back into it lately. i know the content is rather lacking and the minigames get tired quickly, but i enjoy creating characters and trying to get people together and unlocking foods and new rooms and stuff. really hoping to see another installment in the series someday that expands on things.

rayman 2 is another one. i knew it was a good game, but if you know me, you know how much i ***** about sucking at platformers and not being able to get hooked on them for very long. my partner gave me his copy of rayman 2 and i decided to give it a play that day and i literally sank 10 hours into it until i finally got to a part i got stuck on. that does not happen to me with platformers and it still shocks me to this day. i don't even know what about it got me hooked? i guess because it wasn't overwhelmingly hard, but it wasn't easy for me either, iirc. the music was also good and idk. i was just having a good time. i'll have to give it a revisit some time to see if it still holds up like that.

another big kicker is persona 5. the hype was real and everyone was into it. a friend of mine accidentally got two copies, having ordered a steelbook copy after preorders on the collector's edition closed and then another place reopened them. so she got two. i mentioned i was gonna see about grabbing a copy from gamestop just to check it out and see how it was and she sold me her steelbook copy for like $50 so hey, not a bad deal at all. i don't think i should explain this one bc if you know me you know i spent like the last two years completely dedicated to persona 5 and still am super into it to this day. i think...this is and always will remain one of the most influential games in my adult life. it brought me so much not just as a video game, but gave me a lot in the real world, too. i'm so grateful to it. and to think it was just a game i got on a whim to see what the hype was about.

all the time

Lmfao I thought you were just misquoting me as a joke but wow I really typed that.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Final Fantasy 7, because I have a difficult time enjoying the genre.

It still has it's moments where I feel like putting the game down for a long time.

Sorvete

Novice
Years
At first, I didn't care at all about Cuphead. But after watching a friend play it, I tried it and it was actually pretty good and challenging, even with all of the frustration I went through while playing.

Aldo

Survivalist
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen today
One would be Phoenix Wright: AA, the first one. I thought by the fact that it was a visual novel and the main character was a lawyer that it wouldn't be a good experience.
I was wrong.
Got me into playing visual novels since then

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I thought Stellaris would turn out to be boring but it turned out to be mega epic and addictive c:

pkmin3033

Tales of Berseria was one I fully expected to hate because it was a prequel to Zestiria - which is almost as bad as Abyss and Vesperia - but turned out to be my second favourite game of all time. I could not believe how good Beseria's writing was. I still can't. I only hope Arise can measure up, because we need more JRPGs of this kind of quality.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey was one I wasn't expecting to enjoy either because I hate open world titles and Ubisoft and I have never really gotten along, but I put 85 hours into this and I still think about replaying it. Kassandra was such an entertaining protagonist, the open world busywork was balanced nicely by meaty, meaningful sidequests - and entertaining odd-jobs, like gathering bear scrotum to enrich an elderly man's failing libido - and the "real world" segments weren't TOO long. Even sailing wasn't that bad, as I was serenaded all the way by Greek Sea Shanties. The game also had a fantastic self-awareness and sense of humour. Testikles is the best name ever for a athlete.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was one I wasn't expecting to enjoy much but ended up putting about 30 hours into within a week...the first two were not great, and my general disdain for the MCU put me off this one initially. Then I saw that they'd remembered to add Supergiant. Proxima and Corvus actually looked like Proxima and Corvus. Scarlet Witch looked like Scarlet Witch. THANE was in it. It also wasn't painfully stuck in the past gameplay-wise and handled like a fast-paced Diablo, didn't shamelessly rip off The Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity - although it did borrow quite heavily from both - and every character was viable. Also Magneto was playable in his classic 90s X-Men costume. Psylocke had a British accent. The only thing I didn't like about it was Yuri Lowenthal voicing Spiderman.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Pikmin never seemed like something I'd play or enjoy, but some years ago while collecting GC games, I decided to buy it and give it a try. What intrigued me the most about it was how it hides it's cruel concept behind a cute facade; you're basically throwing these adorable little creatures to their death on regular basis. ☹️ It's fun though. (2 is my favorite) Really one of the most unique games I've had the pleasure of playing.

Back