• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Development: The 4th gen class split in 3rd gen

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 30, 2018
@SongSing
I patched my Emerald game using your site/program, and although the split worked, all moves got a bit weird (no moves are effective against types they should be, normal moves became innefective against normal types). I'm using a hack rom that enables mega evolutions, could it be the reason?

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2018
@SongSing
I patched my Emerald game using your site/program, and although the split worked, all moves got a bit weird (no moves are effective against types they should be, normal moves became innefective against normal types). I'm using a hack rom that enables mega evolutions, could it be the reason?

It seems to work for me off of a clean ROM, it may be because the one you're using has moved around some of the locations used for the move data... I'd recommend trying to patch the moves first and then applying the other patch, and if that doesn't work then they are most likely just incompatible.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 30, 2018
I used The Learner's quick enhancer and it worked. The problem was the PSS icons, using the split without them worked just fine. Thank you for the reply SongSing, given that I'm using a hack rom with some added content, the data location was probably changed a bit.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
I used The Learner's quick enhancer and it worked. The problem was the PSS icons, using the split without them worked just fine. Thank you for the reply SongSing, given that I'm using a hack rom with some added content, the data location was probably changed a bit.

Are you saying that you have had some problem with the icons,
or something else.

Didnt quiet get your words actually !

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 30, 2018
Are you saying that you have had some problem with the icons,
or something else.

Didnt quiet get your words actually !

I'm guessing that's the case. If I apply just the split, it works (tested with Counter and Mirror Coat). If I apply the split AND the icons, then Normal type attacks won't work on Normal pokemon, and all moves I tested lost their effectiveness (Earthquake dealt neutral damage against Electric pokemon, although it was still ineffective against Levitate pokemon). But once again, I applied the patch on a hack rom, so the data was most likely replaced.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
I'm guessing that's the case. If I apply just the split, it works (tested with Counter and Mirror Coat). If I apply the split AND the icons, then Normal type attacks won't work on Normal pokemon, and all moves I tested lost their effectiveness (Earthquake dealt neutral damage against Electric pokemon, although it was still ineffective against Levitate pokemon). But once again, I applied the patch on a hack rom, so the data was most likely replaced.

Is this happening if patch the original patch provided and compile and isnert the routine by yourself
or if you happen to use the tool

If this happens after using the tool then you can try doing things manually,
but if its the patch itself then its probably that you are doing something wrong with the byte replacement or the some things else.
in that case you can try doing things from the beginning in a clean rom and check if it works :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 30, 2018
Is this happening if patch the original patch provided and compile and isnert the routine by yourself
or if you happen to use the tool

If this happens after using the tool then you can try doing things manually,
but if its the patch itself then its probably that you are doing something wrong with the byte replacement or the some things else.
in that case you can try doing things from the beginning in a clean rom and check if it works :)

I just apply the patch from your program. I haven't tried using it on a clean rom, but it should probably work fine. I don't really mind not having the icons though, as long as the split itself works.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
I just apply the patch from your program. I haven't tried using it on a clean rom, but it should probably work fine. I don't really mind not having the icons though, as long as the split itself works.
So maybe try the tool on a clean rom,
and if it works,
try again on your hack.

If it still doesnt work then try the path and asm routine itself.

and about the icons:
is it not being displayed at all,
or do you see some corrupted image or anything else ??

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 30, 2018
So maybe try the tool on a clean rom,
and if it works,
try again on your hack.

If it still doesnt work then try the path and asm routine itself.

and about the icons:
is it not being displayed at all,
or do you see some corrupted image or anything else ??

Ok, I'll try it on a clean rom later. But I'm fine with how things are right now. I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff.

The icons aren't displayed at all. The moves look just like they do on a game without the PSS split.

Drake Baku

Draconian Dragon Prince
Years
question, chance exists it may already been asked but I cant find it

anyway, I changed various bits of the game (fire red) already with G3HS ((yes I know, outdated, but it allows me to repoint attack numbers, allowing me to give raichu 10 moves instead of the basic 4)
added some pokemons by extending, changed movepools by repointing the number of attacks and sprite changes here and there
plus I have changed various trainers, mostly garret number of pokemons

kept using the build in space finders for all these things
also increased the movepool total
all this before I even realized about this patch, but I still rather want to add it

so now the question, how safe would it be to add this patch, or would it break my game or all the stuff I did before?

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2018
make a copy and test it out! there's no way to tell if you have edited anything that the patch may touch without you comparing files. just keep a backup just in case!

Drake Baku

Draconian Dragon Prince
Years
started over again
new questions

firsts off, I applied the patch on a clean rom
but after applying the patch, if I use the games original save function
it boths reports on an already existing save (which does not exists)
and ends with an error report, saying I should go to a previous memory bank or something

no clue on what happened there

second off
I was wondering, would it be better to extend the move data before or after the patch?
seeing I am planing to add 2 more types and some signatuere moves of own design
(asking that cause of pointers)

I feel like I had a third one, but I forgot XD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen May 23, 2018
Like with the other implementations in this thread, they work off the eleventh byte of the move data. They also implement the Special Defense boost in Sand, and jump through a number of other hoops to not break existing abilities and attacks, which is why I provide them as patches and not simple hex edits. Be aware that these patches do not touch the move table- you'll have to toggle the moves as physical or special yourself. I recommend using a hex editor or Nightmare for this, but PGE can also do the job (slowly).

Credits go to Tailes for most of the work on the Emerald split.

Also yes you can use these for your hacks just give credit you don't need to pm me for permission and plz don't

How am I suposed to do this?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Here's an IPS patch that applies version 1.4 of the Emerald patch, has all of the moves set to the correct Physical/Special/Status byte, and has the icons installed and working. Warning: I didn't take note of where I inserted the image or the ASM, so back up your game first.

Download no longer works, would anyone that has a copy be able to upload it? Thanks in advance

Years
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Here's the Emerald hack ported to the other games. I find it amusing that with this hack we got it working for Emerald first, then Ruby, and then FireRed, when usually it's the complete opposite. xD

FireRed (US)
Code:
0803ED54: 80 7A
0803F226: 00 29
0803F228: 00 D0
0803F38C: 02 2F
0803F38E: 00 DB
0803F394: 01 28
0803F396: 00 D0

Ruby (US) 1
Code:
0803BA94: 80 7A
0803BFBE: 00 29
0803BFC0: 00 D0
0803C124: 02 2E
0803C126: 00 DB
0803C12C: 01 28
0803C12E: 00 D0

Emerald (US) 2
Code:
080695E8: 80 7A
08069A5A: 00 29
08069A5C: 00 D0
08069BC4: 02 2F
08069BC6: 00 DB
08069BCC: 01 28
08069BCE: 00 D0

1 Credit to Chaos Rush for the Ruby port; I don't even have a Ruby ROM. xD
2 Credit to colcolstyles for the Emerald hack; I based everything off of his post.

EDIT: Literally no testing was done for the FireRed port. So someone should test it and let me know if it breaks everything. But I really don't see that happening...

I have read through this a few times now. I just want to make sure, is this the final hex editing I need to be doing to get it to work correctly (especially the fire red part)? Or should I just download DoesntKnowHowToPlay's ips patch. Or should I do both? I actually tried both of these on separate files, and both appear to work. So, I guess I am asking which one is better, or should I be applying both? I feel like I am probably missing which one has the most fixes that could cause problems later. So my three options are :

A. Do the hex editing that Darthatron and Jambo51 suggested (the above quote and Jambo51's fixes)
B. Apply DoesntKnowHowToPlay's patch.
C. Do both A and B.

Also, thank you to everyone who contributed to this! It is really amazing.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Is it possible to implement the split in a way where the game ignores the changed filler bytes during link battles? I think the best-case scenario for this function would be for it to be enabled throughout the whole single-player game, but automatically disabled when entering link battles so as to not break compatibility with them. Or would that be a lot harder than it seems on the surface? I know there's other changes that would need to be confronted, such as the Special Defense boost in sandstorms for Rock-type Pokémon.
I have read through this a few times now. I just want to make sure, is this the final hex editing I need to be doing to get it to work correctly (especially the fire red part)? Or should I just download DoesntKnowHowToPlay's ips patch. Or should I do both? I actually tried both of these on separate files, and both appear to work. So, I guess I am asking which one is better, or should I be applying both? I feel like I am probably missing which one has the most fixes that could cause problems later.
Just apply Doesnt's patch. That only implements the split itself. If you want it to actually affect the moves in the base game, you'll have to implement that separately. This patch I made awhile ago should do that job.

Years
[FR] Showing the split icons

battle.png
summary.png

relearner.png
tm-case.png

Right now, the image showing if it's physical/special/status appears a frame before the rest of the screen is loaded. :\ I mean, it's not that bad. I just don't love it.

I made a repo which adds the category icons in every UI I could think of where it matters without any frame delay like the currently used version Darthatron posted in the quoted post above. You can find the full code as well as insertion instructions here: https://github.com/sphericalice/bpre-split-icons

The documentation is a little shoddy and I will probably write-up a nicer explanation for getting the type image updates working properly at a later date.

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years
[FR] Showing the split icons

battle.png
summary.png

relearner.png
tm-case.png

I made a repo which adds the category icons in every UI I could think of where it matters without any frame delay like the currently used version Darthatron posted in the quoted post above. You can find the full code as well as insertion instructions here: https://github.com/sphericalice/bpre-split-icons

The documentation is a little shoddy and I will probably write-up a nicer explanation for getting the type image updates working properly at a later date.

What a great addon! I've tried to inser it and I'm getting some bugs. I'm using only Mrdollteak's rombase, which already includes PSS.

1. The status icon is not shown for some reason, Only type is displayed
iJ0vgMf.png

Oyq1B2l.png

2. I'm getting this mess when checking the TM case and Move Relearner:
AVdNhG0.png

WVQKi1W.png

I inserted this picture and updated the type chart table:
jtAn2g2.png

3. I'm using the Zeturic's unhidden power. However it's been almost a year since I inserted that and I'm not sure where to find that offset to include it in the config.s file.

Anyway this is surely amazing!

-----------------
EDIT 1: I undertand now how to update the new icon positioning. it works good but now Fairy type and Category are sharing the same icon. And also PSS icons still not showing
gSEwA2v.png

BugdnMP.png

--------------------
EDIT 2: I see Category and Fairy type are using both the slot 0x17 from the type chart. How could I move the category icon to slot 0x18? I find it easier than moving one slot my Fairy type and all related data.

-------------------
FINAL EDIT: Nvm I had to move Fairy type to slot 0x1B and now everything works fine.

For the ones using any DNS: make sure during battles the Pallete slot 0x10 is not selected or else the new icons will be darkened during battles as well.

Last edited:
Back