• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Development: The 4th gen class split in 3rd gen

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 10, 2017
I'm having some trouble getting this to work properly in my ROM. I followed the instructions as best I could, and here are some details:

* I used NSE 2.1 to insert the image at xF58BB4
* I inserted the routine at xF58D34 after setting the last line to ".SplitImages: .word 0xF58BB4" (I also tried 0x08F58BB4)
* I changed the bytes at x1C0F88, x1C1328, and x1C17A0 to 08F58D35

When I load up the game and select a move on the Summary screen, it freezes like this: [IMAGE]http://i.cubeupload.com/RWXy5e.png[/IMAGE]

Any help figuring out what I'm doing wrong would be really appreciated. Thanks!

I had the same problem first time I tried it. I'm 90% sure you've place the hex edits in slightly wrong positions. Take screenshots of your hex-edits and I can compare it to my current working ones.

Shufflejoy

Tutturu!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
I had the same problem first time I tried it. I'm 90% sure you've place the hex edits in slightly wrong positions. Take screenshots of your hex-edits and I can compare it to my current working ones.

Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back to you with this. I tried it again and ran into the same problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uqvpgx35blxcdvi/AACZZumeB37V1CZWdBCduyzia

In that folder, the diff windows show the hex changes I made (with the changed version on top), and the screenshots show the process of inserting the image and the ASM routine.

When I try to test it in game, this happens: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cz9jbms6xhy88n0/oops.mp4

The game freezes in that video, but sometimes it just restarts the game immediately upon pressing A.

Any help with this would really be appreciated!

dontstay96

Grass-man
Years
Now that I have enough posts to put this here I might as well for convenience's sake, it was rather rude of me to not just bypass the filter to get these links up:

FR: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7e0m7xhmyaga2af
Em: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ipcjia5b778zj8o

Like with the other implementations in this thread, they work off the eleventh byte of the move data. They also implement the Special Defense boost in Sand, and jump through a number of other hoops to not break existing abilities and attacks, which is why I provide them as patches and not simple hex edits. Be aware that these patches do not touch the move table- you'll have to toggle the moves as physical or special yourself. I recommend using a hex editor or Nightmare for this, but PGE can also do the job (slowly).

Credits go to Tailes for most of the work on the Emerald split.

Also yes you can use these for your hacks just give credit you don't need to pm me for permission and plz don't

Hello I downloaded the emerald patch, but it doesn't seem to work (i patch it with lunar IPS, right?), at least absorb still counts as a physical attack, do I need to have another version or the rom or something? thanks! and sorry for bothering you

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Hello I downloaded the emerald patch, but it doesn't seem to work (i patch it with lunar IPS, right?), at least absorb still counts as a physical attack, do I need to have another version or the rom or something? thanks! and sorry for bothering you
I'm not sure if you noticed this but there's kinda a thing in the post you quoted...
DoesntKnowHowToPlay said:
Be aware that these patches do not touch the move table- you'll have to toggle the moves as physical or special yourself.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Now that I have enough posts to put this here I might as well for convenience's sake, it was rather rude of me to not just bypass the filter to get these links up:

FR: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7e0m7xhmyaga2af
Em: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ipcjia5b778zj8o

Like with the other implementations in this thread, they work off the eleventh byte of the move data. They also implement the Special Defense boost in Sand, and jump through a number of other hoops to not break existing abilities and attacks, which is why I provide them as patches and not simple hex edits. Be aware that these patches do not touch the move table- you'll have to toggle the moves as physical or special yourself. I recommend using a hex editor or Nightmare for this, but PGE can also do the job (slowly).

Credits go to Tailes for most of the work on the Emerald split.

Also yes you can use these for your hacks just give credit you don't need to pm me for permission and plz don't

Does the FireRed patch fills free space or not? I'll try this later but what I mean to ask is does the patch takes 700000-FFFFFF (any free space near 700000). Well, If you can't understand what am I saying. That's fine. I'll try to clear my explanation later. :3

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 17, 2022
So I just put this in Ruby:
0803BA94: 80 7A
0803BFBE: 00 29
0803BFC0: 00 D0
0803C124: 02 2E
0803C126: 00 DB
0803C12C: 01 28
0803C12E: 00 D0

It seems to work and I was wondering if there known problems like weather not affecting damage or Blaze/Torrent/Overgrow ect. being out of wack. If these bugs affect me how can I fix them?

Agastya

Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
the old 8 byte split breaks everything that isnt damage calc.

type hold items will not work, hidden power won't work, weather ball won't work, weather won't boost relevant moves, pinch abilities won't work.

the solution is to not use ruby and move on to the emerald patch because it actually works and emerald has everything ruby offers + more.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 17, 2022
the old 8 byte split breaks everything that isnt damage calc.

type hold items will not work, hidden power won't work, weather ball won't work, weather won't boost relevant moves, pinch abilities won't work.

the solution is to not use ruby and move on to the emerald patch because it actually works and emerald has everything ruby offers + more.

So both Emerald and FR have a flawless physical/special split and one should use those...

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Attention! For those who can't get on Tlachtli's Phys/Spec/Stat Icon in Emerald, now, listen here:

I've finally got it working and it is very a big success. Thanks Tlachtli! Gonna credit you once I made an Emerald base hack. I used DoesntKnowHowToPlay's Emerald Physical/Special/Status split first. I'll also give you credits too. Here are some screenshots:

em0004___dppt_music_02_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lqz6k.png
em0004___dppt_music_01_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lqz6m.png
em0004___dppt_music_03_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lqz6u.png

Tlachtli,
At the first, I've found your entire work to be not working. But, I tried adding some missing "hows" so I can make this work. Here are some info I want you to change and add:

1.)
I noticed the part .SplitImages: .word 0x[insert address to images] that there is something's missing to it. You've forgotten to put 08 at the beginning of [insert address to images]. So then, that will be .SplitImages: .word 0x08[insert address to images]. Example, I've made it on offset E43780. So, that will be .SplitImages: .word 0x08E43780.

2.)
Then, about you're going to change the offsets to inserted ASM address +1, some people would just write and change the inserted ASM address +1 on certain offsets. Example: I have E43668 to be the ASM offset and I've changed and written 6936E4 on 1C0F88, 1c1328, and 1c17a0. When I did it, it froze just like Shufflejoy just commented:

freeze_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lqz6p.png

It is because you just only write and change the inserted ASM address +1. I've noticed the value next to it "03". With 03 next to it, the routine will not ever work.

untitled010_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lr0h9.png

So then, try to change 03 to 08.

untitled020_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lr0he.png

It is because with the value 08 next to it, it will locate the routine (or 09 if you put the routine on 1000000+. Ex: you have inserted the routine on 1234568, change and write 69452309). With this, I've finally made it working. Well, I haven't found bugs and glitches when I revised this.

3.)
This maybe a small problem but I would be big in just one mistake. You may just have inserted the image into compressed image (with unLZ program). Don't use unLZ to insert this. I highly recommend to use NSE 2.1 to insert the image because insertion of images has options is compressed or uncompressed. "Load ROM" then "Open Sprite" then "File => Insert => Image Data".

33t5_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lr0wr.png

Revised Steps
I also rewrite the complete tutorial about it according to his original tutorial with the revises I made. So, here it is:

1.)
Insert this image as an uncompressed image...
TuTazY7.png

Use NSE 2.1 to do so. To insert it on NSE 2.1: First, "Load ROM" load your Emerald file; Second, "Open Sprite" open your sprite; Then, "File => Insert => Image Data"

2A.)
Insert this ASM...
If you can't do ASM and/or if you have no idea about ASM at all, proceed to Step 2B.
Revised ASM:
Spoiler:

2B.)
This is an alternate step for 2A for those who can't do ASM. For those who can't do ASM but can do HEX EDITING, below is the hex values of it. Insert this on the offset that ends with 0, 4, 8, C and nothing else.

Spoiler:

If you have inserted the uncompressed image first, replace FE FD FC 08 with the offset where you have inserted the uncompressed image and the offset must be like in this example: Uncompressed image offset: ABCDEF. Mind little endian: AB CD EF. Reverse them: EF CD AB. And finally change FE FD FC 08 to EF CD AB 08. If you have keen eyes, you will not get a mistake doing this.

3.)
Replace some Hex-Values on offsets...
Revised Hex Edits:
Spoiler:

I hope this helps for those who can't make it at the first. It works well, trust me. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2020
Is there a more up-to-date patch from DoesntKnowHowToPlay for both Fire Red and Emerald, or should I be good with the ones I have [EM1.4 & FR1.5]? How do I implement the icons [I have no idea how to use ASM code.]?

Last edited:

Shufflejoy

Tutturu!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
Attention! For those who can't get on Tlachtli's Phys/Spec/Stat Icon in Emerald, now, listen here:

*snipped for brevity*

I hope this helps for those who can't make it at the first. It works well, trust me. :)

I can confirm that this is working. Awesome, thanks a lot Raileys!

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2020

I know you weren't talking to me, but you seem to know how to get the icons to work. How do I do that? I don't know what is meant by "insert ASM". Could you explain, please?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday

Your welcome. I'm glad that I helped. :)

---

I know you weren't talking to me, but you seem to know how to get the icons to work. How do I do that? I don't know what is meant by "insert ASM". Could you explain, please?

Oh, sorry about that. I haven't been busy checking this thread. (I hope you recognize this now) Hmm... if you can't do the ASM, but can you do HEX EDITING, right? Read the revised steps again and Step 2B will help you a lot.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2020
Oh, sorry about that. I haven't been busy checking this thread. (I hope you recognize this now) Hmm... if you can't do the ASM, but can you do HEX EDITING, right? Read the revised steps again and Step 2B will help you a lot.

Well, how do I do ASM? Like, what tools do I need and what steps, if that's okay?

Last edited:

Shufflejoy

Tutturu!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015

Here's an IPS patch that applies version 1.4 of the Emerald patch, has all of the moves set to the correct Physical/Special/Status byte, and has the icons installed and working. Warning: I didn't take note of where I inserted the image or the ASM, so back up your game first.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2020
Here's an IPS patch that applies version 1.4 of the patch, has all of the moves set to the correct Physical/Special/Status byte, and has the icons installed and working. Warning: I didn't take note of where I inserted the image or the ASM, so back up your game first.

TiYST9o.png

Thank you! With this I will be one step closer to my ideal experience! Which version is it for, though? FR or Emerald?

Last edited:

Shufflejoy

Tutturu!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
TiYST9o.png

Thank you! With this I will be one step closer to my ideal experience! Which version is it for, though? FR or Emerald?

Emerald. I have edited my initial post with this information. I thought it would be obvious since the icon post I was replying to was specifically for Emerald.

Back