• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I meant the Options menu in-game, as in the menu where you can choose the windowskin, battle style etc.
There's a way to have it as default, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned a few pages back. It involves editing one of the scripts.

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2010
oh man, thanks! finally. Man and it was in the game too. I would have never thought of that.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2008
hi guys, I have a feature you didn't put! When you run on the sand foot prints show and you didn't do that in your starter kit

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I tried out the Ice terrain tag, and it doesn't work. Would anyone happen to know what's wrong?

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
Released a new version.

* Fixed EXP gain animation problem
* Changed first map in demo to give more information in-game
* Added more formatting codes to message system
* Added debug option for teaching moves
* General memory fixes and improvements

For detailed changes, see this diff file.

MR.GLITCH_KING

~ThaEmbacy~
Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2008
as always thank you mr peter o

i still dont know why im dling these even though i dont plan on making a game lol

Aqua Mudkip

LOL I'm okay!
Years
MegaMudkipX: ... How do you change the characters charset? I forgot how to.... And I can't find in the notes how you can change a player's charset. And how do you add a pokemon in your party? Thanks.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
To change the charset, edit section 000 of Metadata.txt. To add a Pokémon, use this:
Code:
Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party.length<6
Script: pbAddPokemon(PBSpecies::PIKACHU,5)
*insert text after getting the Pokémon here*
Else
*insert text if party is full here*
End
The actual script used is pbAddPokemon(X,Y), where X is either the number of the Pokémon or PBSpecies::NAMEOFPOKÉMON and Y is its level. The conditional branch checks whether there is space in the party.

Anyway, would anyone be interested in a tutorial for custom moves/abilities/items?

NeoStar

Future Scripter Extraordinaire
Years
Having another problem guys. This time when I try to add a badge.

Code:
Exception: RuntimeError
Message: Script error within event 3, map 35 (Falkner's Gym):
Section092:32:in `pbLoadTrainer'undefined local variable or method `i' for #<Interpreter:0x4388730>
Section019:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section092:31:in `each'
Section092:31:in `pbLoadTrainer'
Section092:17:in `each'
Section092:17:in `pbLoadTrainer'
Section092:8:in `each'
Section092:8:in `pbLoadTrainer'
Section092:216:in `pbTrainerBattle'
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section019:753:in `eval'

Section019:249:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section019:753:in `command_111'
Section019:292:in `execute_command'
Section019:190:in `update'
Section019:104:in `loop'
Section019:195:in `update'
Section021:98:in `update'
Section021:96:in `loop'
Section021:109:in `update'
Section021:65:in `main'

I tried even turning on all the badges like in the starter kit and I still get an error.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
That's interesting, I tried it just now and didn't get the error. Are you using this script?
Code:
$Trainer.badges[0]=true
Anyway, another problem: when I enter some maps, the location doesn't show up properly when I save and when it shows the map name. It works in the Visual Editor though. One of my maps shows no name when I enter it, and another shows the name of the first map.

NeoStar

Years
@ Wichu: yeah thats what i used I even used $Trainer.badges=true to set all the badges and it didnt work. Maybe I copied a script wrong or something ill try copying them all over again. Other than that i cant think of anything else its really weird.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
To change the charset, edit section 000 of Metadata.txt.

I tried changing the charset, by copying the current charset Red.png and pasting in some other images (another charset with a blue background), but the problem is that the background is no longer cut out ingame. That is, there's a large white rectangle around my character. How does one get rid of this?

Also, this may be inconvenient for a lot of people, but is there any chance the tilesets can be rearranged/split to make them a bit more manageable? You know, floors, foliage, rocks, fences, ledges, buildings all in one spot? That'd make things a bit easier to work with, since you'd know all relevant (i.e. relevant to what you wanted at the time, e.g. a tree) tiles were in one place. They're mostly together already (I'm talking about the OverWorld one here, but it could apply to Inner as well), but there are still a few random trees and grass around the place. Not to mention the PokéCentre and PokéMart tilesets are missing a few textures (ones I've noticed: Computer monitor (Centre), some shadow floor tiles(Mart)) - they all seem to be in the Inner tileset, so they're just a case of copy and paste. A few tiles also run into others (e.g. bottom left of the round brown table in Inner, near the first bed you come across).

I'd offer to do this myself, but my spare time is sketchy at best (final year of University and all). Sorry.

Finally, I've noticed that when using a Rare Candy, there's a little text bar at the bottom asking which pokémon you want to feed it to. That's fine, that's how it should be. When you use it, another text window appears saying the pokémon levelled up, but then that text window disappears when it then shows the stat increase/new values window(s). This leaves the little text at the bottom asking which pokémon you want to use it on, while you're busy looking at the results of you having already used it, which looks wrong. Any chance you can get that text bar to stay throughout the stats?

Otherwise, a great piece of kit. Too much praise is not enough.

NeoStar

Years
Ended up not being the scripts. But the really weird part is I make a similar event on a different map it works perfectly..... I think what it is is that i was trying to make a custom move set because i get the same error when I make a trainer with custom moves. So heres my trainer names.txt for falkner...

Code:
LEADER
FALKNER
PIDGEY,7,10,SITRUSBERRY,TACKLE,SANDATTACK,AERIALACE,GUST
PIDGEOTTO,9,10,SITRUSBERRY,TACKLE,SANDATTACK,AERIALACE,GUST

I dont see anything wrong but thats the only thing that i can think of that could be causing my problem.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Maruno: try going to the Resource Manager and reimporting the charset.
Neostar, are your text files like this?
In Trainernames.txt:
###,LEADER_FALKNER,LEADER,100
In Trainers.txt:
[###]
LEADER_FALKNER
FALKNER
*Pokémon in here*

Otherwise, try SAND_ATTACK instead of SANDATTACK.

Henry987: If you mean the Visual Editor for Essentials, it's included with the game.
In test-play mode, press F9, and scroll down to Visual Editor.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I posted this in my previous post:
If you mean the Visual Editor for Essentials, it's included with the game.
In test-play mode, press F9, and scroll down to Visual Editor.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
OK, I want this script to include three different Pokemon instead of just one. How would I go about doing this?

Code:
Conditional Branch:  Script:  $PokemonBag.pbHasSpecies?(::PBSpecies::CELEBI)
  -- The Pokemon Celebi is in the party
Else
  -- The Pokemon Celebi is not in the party
Branch End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back