• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon: Elemental Rift

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2023
Hello!

My name is probably shamus24, and I've been working over the past month or so on a personal little project that I've become increasingly involved in – making my own Pokemon hack. It's hard to justify it's solely mine, given the immense amount of research and tools available to the ordinary person, but I'd like to think that I'm creating a unique experience, at least for me. I've learnt the XSE IDE/language, dabbled in hex and ASM editing, and sketched out a lot of the graphical components. I think the key to success/time management is knowing the scope of your work and ability, so I've steered away from simply adding everything that seems good at the time – containing feature creep.

This is the first step of what I hope to be a fully realised hack, up to an Elite 4-esque finale and possibly post-game content, but that is still far away. With X/Y quickly approaching I'll probably hold off on a full release until the hype from the main games dies down a bit.

With that said, welcome to what I hope is an interesting, thought-provoking, and ultimately enjoyable hack: Pokemon: Elemental Rift.

Basic information
:
  • Public Alpha available for download here or at the bottom of the page.
  • a Fire Red (BPRE) hack
  • 386 Pokemon
  • Use how you would with any .ips patch
  • English language
  • Entirely new characters/region/plot
  • No Fakemon

The Plot:
You're a young boy/girl from the sheltered Longpalm Island, located in the south of the Davoa region. The rain has been relentless – it's the wet season, it's supposed to be – but it has been particularly malicious this time around. A storm has blown some of the city's wooden fixtures into the water, and your Dad has asked you to make the quick trip to Main Island to get some supplies. The storm has caused the otherwise peaceful coastline to rise up over the beachfront, and as such wild Pokemon can attack you. Because of these more dangerous conditions, Professor Greatbeard has allowed you to take one of his Pokemon for protection.

The unknowing hero makes the trip to Main Island, meeting researchers from the mainland that are currently studying the storm. Their attempts to glean the answer from some native Pokemon aren't working, unfortunately. Your journey leads you to Aquamaria Isle, where after a battle with Leader Fenton, you learn that the ancient elements are angered, and this is causing the disturbance. Fenton requests that you journey to the mainland, to learn about each of these ancient and powerful elements, and if you can, to quell their rage.

Will you step up to the challenge?

Features:
Hacks are being released every day, all with a laundry list of changes and additions that could pretty much be copied and pasted. It's my job to differentiate this game from the others – to give you, the player, a unique experience that you won't find playing other hacked games (for a while, at least). With that said, a brief list of the features Pokemon: Elemental Rift offers you includes:
  • EVERY Pokemon has been modified to some extent – either in it's type, base stats, ability, movepool, or evolution method (obviously, for some).
  • Physical/Special Split. It is on every other hack too, but this time, all Pokemon are going to be able to take full advantage of it thanks to the changes mentioned above.
  • A compelling story, not necessarily fuelled by an evil team that wants to take over the world, or other equally as cliché plots.
  • Emulating the VGC tournaments you might be familiar with, all Gym Leader battles are 2v2.
  • Randomised Gym Leader battles (not yet implemented).
  • An alchemy-esque system for making items from the reagents you find off the ground.
  • Less (read: virtually no) reliance on HMs.
  • An entirely new evolution mechanic, making its debut in Pokemon: Elemental Rift.
  • I know the difference between your/you're and there/their/they're.
17begwzzri0tuupfg.jpg

Sweet!

It was hurting the readability of the rest of the post, but I've typed up a bit of information regarding the tactical/battling decisions I've made.

My guiding principles on in-game strategy:
Spoiler:

Other points:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
rwz4xiqnr4m477yfg.jpg
elds3djrf3pk36afg.jpg
tbbszeclwnblheufg.jpg
036gv1ztmhjqqrlfg.jpg
d0flfsmgn3oi528fg.jpg

up1mwgra6q9a3owfg.jpg
9faxtw4s34f4el7fg.jpg
1mxu98yt7sv5f68fg.jpg
ggto7wowu02qajofg.jpg
6o21tihzbc093t1fg.jpg

u7qmvbpg5pqb33kfg.jpg
nnt1cy2x6t70xuufg.jpg
v8hsei8jmehxcd6fg.jpg
5864s3gpj62q68rfg.jpg
m1l2kcrk7c7i677fg.jpg

xz8v4pzl6belg3gfg.jpg
u0wowzh0tvnnk6mfg.jpg

Note: These are pictures from the first 15ish minutes of the game. I'll progressively update with more.

ig170h1yi2tb24yfg.jpg
w37qh5cll6aj3kifg.jpg
5g8u3cjstk47l7ufg.jpg
jaj0act5h1mkw6cfg.jpg

Tantalin Farms - the older farming couple need your help harvesting Darkstem Roots!
Progress/Errors:
Alpha 1 has up to the second gym playable. The routes/pathways at the second gym town don't lead anywhere, mainly because I haven't made anything past there.
  • I haven't implemented the randomised Gym battles yet.
  • When you white out, the Nurse doesn't say what she should – JPAN engine issue.
  • The nickname screen when nicknaming a certain early Pokemon has a glitched sprite.
  • Small tile errors.
  • I haven't actually edited any of the graphics besides small tileset/palette changes.
  • Likewise I haven't changed the intro Prof. Oak monologue to anything more relevant.
Credits/Tools used:
diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial
tajaros's XSE tutorial
JPAN's Hacked Engine
Jambo51/DoesntKnowHowToPlay/Darthatron's work re: Physical/Special split
Gamer2020's PGE suite
HackMew's contributions/XSE
Many of karatekid552's posts
Lu Ho/AdvanceMap
A-Trainer
probably other people/tools too!

I'll progressively update this post with appropriate documentation - ie. Pokemon changes. For the moment, ask about your favourite Pokemon and I'll tell you about any changes that have been made!

Thanks so much for reading this thread, and even more if you have tried out the game! Let me know what you think and I'll respond as soon as I can :)

Last edited:

Zoroyoyo41

Novice Expert
Years
Surprised I'm the first one to reply cus it looks like you have very good ideas! Just it looks like your mapping could do some work, I could help you out :D

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2020
It's always nice to see new hacks in the forum. And this one looks really good.

But as Zoroyoy41 already said, you could rework some of the maps, as they're looking a bit empty ( maybe you could place some more rocks in the caves, and the caves are looking a bit too linear on the shown screenshots).

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2023
Surprised I'm the first one to reply cus it looks like you have very good ideas! Just it looks like your mapping could do some work, I could help you out :D

Thanks! I've only been mapping for well, a month, so that doesn't surprise me. One of the issues I've identified is that I make my maps too big, then struggle to fill it appropriately. It's easy to fix those issues though, I might remake the maps later when I've had more experience.

Do you need abeta tester? I-d be happy to help.

That's why I've made this post, I'd like to think everyone that downloads the game gives some sort of testing feedback.

It's always nice to see new hacks in the forum. And this one looks really good.

But as Zoroyoy41 already said, you could rework some of the maps, as they're looking a bit empty ( maybe you could place some more rocks in the caves, and the caves are looking a bit too linear on the shown screenshots).

Yeah like I said above, mapping is still kind of new to me. The screenshots of the caves don't give an entirely accurate overview of the actual cave maps - there are a lot of rocks littered through the caves, but yeah they were made slightly too big initially.

Also, here are some more screenshots - this is the farm you'll encounter after the first gym!

ig170h1yi2tb24yfg.jpg
w37qh5cll6aj3kifg.jpg
5g8u3cjstk47l7ufg.jpg
jaj0act5h1mkw6cfg.jpg

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Looks very impressive! You have some great ideas, and the reagents sound fun to collect. I'll be sure to give it a go as soon as I can, but there are a few things you could fix with your mapping:
jaj0act5h1mkw6cfg.jpg

The tree shading is wrong in the top left here.
036gv1ztmhjqqrlfg.jpg

and these grass tiles to the left could do with some work, the palette doesn't look very good.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Hi! I decided to give this a try. Feedback is in spoilers as it's rather lengthy.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2023
Hi! I decided to give this a try. Feedback is in spoilers as it's rather lengthy.

Spoiler:

Hey thanks, I really appreciate your thorough feedback. I've replied to your points in the spoiler, but this is definitely perfect feedback and I'll roll out most of your points soon. Again, thanks so much for the time you (and everyone else that has downloaded it too!) have spent looking through this.

Looks very impressive! You have some great ideas, and the reagents sound fun to collect. I'll be sure to give it a go as soon as I can, but there are a few things you could fix with your mapping:
036gv1ztmhjqqrlfg.jpg

and these grass tiles to the left could do with some work, the palette doesn't look very good.

They're pretty much just makeshift before I actually start changing the tilesets myself. There are lots of graphics that need to be changed and added, and I haven't even started to learn how to mess around with graphics. I was decent at pixel art when I last did it (..about 8 years ago, christ), so hopefully those skills will still be relevant.

I'll just further expand on what I mentioned regarding the distribution of Drought etc. My high-level design goal for battling in this game is for the player to collect a team that can cohesively synergise together, and as shown in current the current Gen 5 meta, the best way of doing that is through the weather. I haven't worked out ratios yet, but I'd like it if every team had some way to start a weather - another reason why I'm a big fan of the 2v2 focus. That's why there is Drought Sunkern (a Pokemon that's only niche previously was 'the worst') and Solrock, as well as Sandstream Onix and Drizzle Slowpoke. As I go through the Pokedex (I'm about 1/3rd of the way though Gen 3's Pokedex currently), I ask what use the Pokemon currently serves, and if there are ways to exaggerate it (especially if it isn't particularly good).

As there is no competitive scene that is dependent on this game, there are no real repercussions for making a Pokemon/theme too overpowered, besides making the game too easy (the game won't be too easy). What I envision is that this game will have a huge degree of replayability, and that is shown even through the starters themselves. You might pick Horsea at the start with Swift Swim, pick up a Drizzle user and have a team based around Rain Dish/Swift Swim/Thunder spam etc. When you beat the game, you might go again and choose Mudkip, then get an early Onix and have a Sandstorm-based team, or Ludicolo and use Drought with STAB Solarbeam. That also is why I want to have randomised gym leaders, building off the popular Random hacks that are getting progressively more popular. You might get to the first gym and deal with a host of anti-weather Pokemon, or a team that abuses your own weather, etc. I'm also hoping/planning that the theme of weather will be a big factor in the plot's development too, ensuring it's relevancy.

I really don't want to change how moves work or add new ones - despite really wanting to have moves like Aqua Jet and Shadow Claw to give some much needed utility and coverage to some Pokemon. Unfortunately editing Abilities is really hard, because Sand Force/Hydration/Sun Power/even Snow Warning and their Gen 4/5 friends would be really really great for this hack.

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
If you're using A-Trainer, the AI variable is actually in the trainer data and is marked as Unknown or something along those lines. In vanilla FR it's 1 for most trainers and 7 for leaders, rivals, cooltrainers, and other competent opponents (but not the first two Giovanni fights). What A-Trainer calls the AI Value that you see in Pokemon data is actually their IVs.

The Icy Wind issue can't be Swinub's low SAtk as the game floors damage at 1, not to mention that even off 30 base SAtk Icy Wind is still 55 BP STAB, which is normally a big deal at that point in the game. What probably happened was Icy Wind's effect byte got changed from Damage & -1 Speed to just -1 Speed somewhere down the line- it should be an easy fix.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 28, 2023
Hey, nice rom hack.... I have played it until the first gym. I need your help, how to proceed after you defeat Fenton (The 1st gym leader). I am surprised that I cant find a walkthrough sreies for this rom hack. Help me.

Back