• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Queenly Majesty: A Look Into the First-Ever Women's VGC Tournament

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Pokémon VGC has been thriving since its official inception in 2009, but has thus far only had a single women's-only tournament. Hosted online in early September 2020, the tournament boasted over 170 competitors, a higher turnout than some regional tournaments, and was built from the ground-up exclusively by fans.

This article explores the different structural hurdles that make having an all-women's tournament in an otherwise all-gender-inclusive community necessary, while also highlighting some of the women who put their all into making the tournament a success. I've interviewed the 2020 Women's VGC Tournament organizer, some of the competitors, and some of the commentators to write an approximately 4000-word feature about how the tournament came to be, how it was run, and why all-women's tournaments have a place in eSports.

I was originally going to save this for until after A Dream of Your Own was finished, but a second women's VGC tournament has been announced for February so I think this is the best time to get this article out there. It's already written, and would just need a slight tweaking near the end to accommodate for the information about the upcoming February tournament.

Last edited:

Aldo

Survivalist
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
+1 from me. I think it'll be a great read

Ranko

Aloof Unmoving Maiden
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 14, 2023