• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Patching & Emulation

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 22, 2023
I must be a moron because I can't get a single hack to function. I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions correctly. Download hack. Patch to rom. Run rom. And nothing. Using VBA

Years
  • Seen yesterday
I must be a moron because I can't get a single hack to function. I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions correctly. Download hack. Patch to rom. Run rom. And nothing. Using VBA

You're probably not using the right base ROM. Make sure to use Fire Red 1.0 (U) (Squirrels) for Fire Red hacks and Emerald (U) (Trashman) for Emerald hacks.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Hi! I need help with putting ROM hacks on my portable device. I have a Retrogame RS-97, and I'm trying to play 80C's Pokémon Pink and Pokémon Grape, along with Koolboyman's Pokémon Brown. However, every file for these games (patch or assembled ROM) I come in contact with seem to be corrupted, as the games will not play on my device. I get a black screen on Grape and Pink, and strangely, Brown displays a Game Boy Advance startup screen. Does anyone have any .ips patches that work for these games? I had no issues with playing Pokémon Prism, Bronze, Orange and Coral (which all require patches) on my Retrogame, so I'm thinking it's a file problem. Thanks so much in advance for your help.

TLDR -- Pokémon Brown, Grape and Pink won't work on my Retrogame, need guidance!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 25, 2021
i am trying to play pokemon moon black 2 i patched the rom but it says the save data could not be accessed how can i fix this???

sNicolasS151

NicolasS
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen yesterday
Hello, it's been a long time since I updated the game and I'm not able to apply this new patch on the ruby ​​rom 1.0, can you help me?

Years
Hello!
Recently me and my friends started to play Pokemon RSE again when we discovered that we can battle and trade through WiFi with the VBALink and MyBoy updates. Me and my friend were going to trade using MyBoy as test to try and connect, but it we were not getting anywhere with it so we tried using VBALink. But for some reason, we weren't getting any prompts that usually pop ups when players have joined. We followed some steps from various forums and Youtube tutorials, and I've tried using Hamachi and made a server for my friends but to no avail. We tested various Link Timeouts but it still isn't working. Are we missing something or are we doing something wrong? I'm playing Ruby version and my friend is playing Sapphire version.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 27, 2020
I'm trying to run the New Emerald hack, and having successfully patched it, got it running on VBA pretty easily. However, I want to run it on a Krikzz gba everdrive, but it locks up after flashing the gameboy logo. Any known tricks or tips here?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 27, 2021
Hello! Im trying to play Pokemon Cloud White that has .UPS But when i put it in my gameboy Emulator (Visual Boy Advanced) It is just a white Screen and the percentage at the top keeps jumping around! If you can help thank you!

GoldenCookie

Filthy Casual
Years
Hey, I'm new to ROM hacks in general and having a lot of trouble with this. Right now I'm trying to apply Dynamic Pokemon Expansion, but my technological illiteracy makes the instructions incomprehensible to me.

5. To decide the offsets where you want to insert the code:

a) In the 'make.py' file in the folder 'scripts' change OFFSET_TO_PUT=YYY to the location
you want to insert the data (let it be X). Don't worry about changing 'insert.py' also.
'make.py' automatically updates the 'insert.py' file and linker file.

After asking around a little, I heard this might be related to the location of the ROM I'm using? I don't know how to get that information, and I would appreciate some advice.

7. Run cmd.exe in the main folder. You can do this by typing 'cmd' and hitting enter in the
url address or selecting 'run command prompt from here' from right clciking on empty space
while holding the shift key.

8. Only if you would like to use the data extractor, in command prompt window,
type 'python scripts//data_extractor.py' This extracts the graphics data from
BPRE0.gba and places it in the directory *extracted*. Make sure to update the
files in *src* with this extracted data. Do not overwrite the files in *src*.
Only replace Pokemmon that are in your hack. Leave the expanded graphics data alone.

9. Once you're done editing the source files to your liking, in the command prompt window,
type 'python scripts//make.py'. If you have never compiled before, the first time
compilation will take a few minutes. However, as long as you don't clean the build
data, all following compilations will be much quicker.

None of these commands do anything in Command Prompt. It just says the file doesn't exist.

I would really appreciate it if someone would offer me some advice. Thank you.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
After asking around a little, I heard this might be related to the location of the ROM I'm using? I don't know how to get that information, and I would appreciate some advice.
Regarding the offsets to put in that, that would be the offsets you'd see if you opened the ROM inside a hex editor like HxD or others that are floating around. The offset would look something like 0x800000, and what it's asking is for a hex address inside the ROM with enough empty space to put the data into. It asks you for the offset because, if you add in patches that other people have made, these other patches may already take up amounts of the free space available on the ROM, so you'll need to put a different offset than other people may suggest, for example. If you've not added anything else to the ROM so far, and are just adding in DPE, you could potentially just put it as 0x800000.

None of these commands do anything in Command Prompt. It just says the file doesn't exist.
Have you set up the correct version of Python in your system PATH? If you've not done this, you won't be able to use Python commands in the Command Prompt. Also, make sure you're opening the Command Prompt correctly in the DPE folder, so that the directory shown in the Command Prompt is the folder you're working in and not the default. Like the post you linked suggests, do this by holding shift and right clicking inside the DPE folder, and select "Open Command Prompt here..." or "Open Powershell window here", both should do the same thing.

GoldenCookie

Filthy Casual
Years
Regarding the offsets to put in that, that would be the offsets you'd see if you opened the ROM inside a hex editor like HxD or others that are floating around. The offset would look something like 0x800000, and what it's asking is for a hex address inside the ROM with enough empty space to put the data into. It asks you for the offset because, if you add in patches that other people have made, these other patches may already take up amounts of the free space available on the ROM, so you'll need to put a different offset than other people may suggest, for example. If you've not added anything else to the ROM so far, and are just adding in DPE, you could potentially just put it as 0x800000.

Thank you for the advice. I'm sorry to bother you, but do you have any advice on which address would have enough empty space, or a method to determine it myself?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
Thank you for the advice. I'm sorry to bother you, but do you have any advice on which address would have enough empty space, or a method to determine it myself?

There's a program called Free Space Finder, it helps you find offsets with enough space to fit what you're trying to put into it. The only thing I can't help you is with the amount of bytes to search for, seeing as I don't use DPE or its counterpart CFRU. You would be best to ask in their respective threads to find out more about the amount of necessary free space

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 3, 2021
I have been trying to get Blue Kaizo 0 exp to be a thing for a while, but I can't seem to get it to work. I tried the quickest route of just applying the lunar patch to the kaizo rom, but it messes up the encounters so that doesn't work.
I tried looking up Pokemon Blue Hacking Tools online, but the closest one I have found was PokeEdit (to edit the exp yields to be 0), but the editor did not end up working.
I tried looking for cheat codes, but the search was not helpful and the most I got was first pokemon exp modifier (code) which did not work gameshark or not.
If anyone has ideas on how to install 0 exp into Blue Kaizo, I would like to know. Thanks in advance.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
I have been trying to get Blue Kaizo 0 exp to be a thing for a while, but I can't seem to get it to work. I tried the quickest route of just applying the lunar patch to the kaizo rom, but it messes up the encounters so that doesn't work.
I tried looking up Pokemon Blue Hacking Tools online, but the closest one I have found was PokeEdit (to edit the exp yields to be 0), but the editor did not end up working.
I tried looking for cheat codes, but the search was not helpful and the most I got was first pokemon exp modifier (code) which did not work gameshark or not.
If anyone has ideas on how to install 0 exp into Blue Kaizo, I would like to know. Thanks in advance.

the reason a 0 exp lunar patch didn't work is because you tried to apply a patch on top of another patch, that never works.

if that patch is specifically for setting exp to 0, what you need to do is apply the patch to a clean rom, open it in a hex editor to see what it changed compared to a clean rom that you didn't apply a patch to.

Then copy the hex changes, over to the kaizo rom, after opening that in a hex editor.

also for binary stuff, setting exp to "0" is actually setting it to 1, since apparently setting to flat 0 breaks other things.

Said simply, you can't apply the patch directly, you'll need to see what it changes where, and copy those changes over manually to your kaizo rom.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Jul 22, 2021
I patched the file and can access the game on my Gba emulator, but when I open it, it shows the game screen as a blank white. What's the problem and how do I fix it?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 30, 2021
Unable to start playing

Hey guys, just downloaded visualboyadvance and radical red. When I open the game up I just get a warning message saying I need to change save file to flash 128, after doing that and selecting real time clock, the same error message comes up! How do I fix this so I can start playing?

Years
Hey guys, just downloaded visualboyadvance and radical red. When I open the game up I just get a warning message saying I need to change save file to flash 128, after doing that and selecting real time clock, the same error message comes up! How do I fix this so I can start playing?

I've combined your thread to this one, since it's quite similar. Regarding your issue, try another emulator (like mGBA); VBA is pretty buggy, and sometimes just doesn't want to admit that you changed the save type, even if you did.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 9, 2021
Need Help with Incliment Emerald

Playing the patch on John Gba for android (fullversion) I have only played this one for about 30 minutes and its crashed on me 2 times now.. Can I get some advice? Is it my emulator? Any help is much appreciated!

Years
Playing the patch on John Gba for android (fullversion) I have only played this one for about 30 minutes and its crashed on me 2 times now.. Can I get some advice? Is it my emulator? Any help is much appreciated!

Hey, so I moved your post here, since this would be the right thread to ask. Also, maybe this will help. Good luck!

Back