d4rk

Oh my Arceus!

Male
Turkey
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted March 2nd, 2021
290 posts
9.6 Years
years ago I was trying myself at my pokemon gold romhack, called fool's gold, and I wanted to edit some pokemon stats, movesets, encounter tables, trainer battles. But at some point I dropped it from lack of patience. I wouldn't be able to perform every little change in hex and I could not make myself to learn the necessary ASM skills. And basically I never have any idea for story because I restrain myself of dreaming big.
I am currently playing Pokemon Empyrean.
Online now
Posted 1 Hour Ago
759 posts
176 Days
I keep having to start over, well that's not the main issue, the main problem is still that I have far more ideas than knowledge or experience.
I've made a small dent so far, but each time I move forward I either have a new idea, or run into a limitation of methods and need to change tools.

I started hex editing and adding features with tools, to my vanilla firered.
Then I found out about CFRU, held out for a bit, then gave in a decided to use that, since the extra space and features would be useful
if not necessary for what I had planned.

Then I realized that couldn't do what I needed, so now I'm trying pokefirered, but I need to figure how to port the CFRU added stuff before I can get back to adding/making my stuff, and also re-add everything I changed in binary.

well basically, I have three bugs that need to be fixed but I have no idea how to do that..... If I knew then I would have been finished with my rom hack last week.
for curiosity's sake what are the bugs? and what's your rombase?
The A-non Team

Trevenant
Lv. 100 @ 306
Challenge: Souls of the Damned
Legendary: TBA

Chandelure
Lv. 100 @ 213
Challenge: N/A
Legendary: Entei

Rapidash
Lv. 100 @ 497

Flareon
Lv. 100 @ 708
Challenge: TBA

Budew
Lv. 100 @ 794

Dr.GameboyRetro

Dr.GameboyRetro

He/Him
Seen 10 Hours Ago
Posted April 15th, 2021
15 posts
95 Days
I keep having to start over, well that's not the main issue, the main problem is still that I have far more ideas than knowledge or experience.
I've made a small dent so far, but each time I move forward I either have a new idea, or run into a limitation of methods and need to change tools.

I started hex editing and adding features with tools, to my vanilla firered.
Then I found out about CFRU, held out for a bit, then gave in a decided to use that, since the extra space and features would be useful
if not necessary for what I had planned.

Then I realized that couldn't do what I needed, so now I'm trying pokefirered, but I need to figure how to port the CFRU added stuff before I can get back to adding/making my stuff, and also re-add everything I changed in binary.

for curiosity's sake what are the bugs? and what's your rombase?
It's a rom base of Pokemon Gold. The bugs are the old man in cherrygrove city dissapears in his scripted sequence and the rival pops up before his scripted event where you battle him.
I live in the past beyond the future.
Online now
Posted 1 Hour Ago
759 posts
176 Days
It's a rom base of Pokemon Gold. The bugs are the old man in cherrygrove city dissapears in his scripted sequence and the rival pops up before his scripted event where you battle him.
hmm are you using level script? I've heard that sometimes issues like that can occur, but that's advance map, and I don't know if gen 2 hacks use advance map also.

That's the best I can come up with, but hope you can get that sorted.
The A-non Team

Trevenant
Lv. 100 @ 306

Chandelure
Lv. 100 @ 213

Rapidash
Lv. 100 @ 497

Flareon
Lv. 100 @ 708

Budew
Lv. 100 @ 794

Dr.GameboyRetro

Dr.GameboyRetro

He/Him
Seen 10 Hours Ago
Posted April 15th, 2021
15 posts
95 Days
hmm are you using level script? I've heard that sometimes issues like that can occur, but that's advance map, and I don't know if gen 2 hacks use advance map also.

That's the best I can come up with, but hope you can get that sorted.
I'm not using either but I appreciate the help though. I've been using GoldMap and JohtoMap.
I live in the past beyond the future.
Online now
Posted 1 Hour Ago
759 posts
176 Days
I'm not using either but I appreciate the help though. I've been using GoldMap and JohtoMap.
ah, ok last in that case I'd say maybe ask JoJoBear for some help if he's willing, he's the only person I know that is really familiar with early gen development.

Kinda wish those early gen games had they're own rom hack section.
The A-non Team

Trevenant
Lv. 100 @ 306

Chandelure
Lv. 100 @ 213

Rapidash
Lv. 100 @ 497

Flareon
Lv. 100 @ 708

Budew
Lv. 100 @ 794

_pheebs

Gosh! What's poppin'?

Age 26
Female
Minecraft~
Seen 11 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
431 posts
2.5 Years
hey man, i'm trying.
Moderator of the Fan Games Section

Supporter of Schlatt Coin!
The True Emperor of l'manburg!
Twitch.tv

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..

Age 28
Male
Castelia City, Unova
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
251 posts
1.8 Years

I don't know about the old man, but as for the rival, the game probably has a flag set too early, thus making him appear at the wrong time. Did you accidentally set a flag that is already being used by the game?
Nocturnal...? W-What does that mean?😕
Online now
Posted 1 Hour Ago
759 posts
176 Days
Because some of the tools are very old and don't have any shortcuts to make development faster and easier.
unless you're hacking gen 1-2 the required tools should be pretty up to date.
what are you using?
The A-non Team

Trevenant
Lv. 100 @ 306

Chandelure
Lv. 100 @ 213

Rapidash
Lv. 100 @ 497

Flareon
Lv. 100 @ 708

Budew
Lv. 100 @ 794

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.

Age 22
Male
Australia
Seen 2 Weeks Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
206 posts
11.5 Years
I have this problem that I like the idea of hacking. I enjoyed messing with sprites and editing teams with A-Trainer and adjusting spawns and maps in Advance Map, but I could never put something together that wasn't the same as 100s of hacks just like it. I have big respect for creators such as Swampert Tools and HackMew (where did he go?) that have been around forever, and I think I keep coming back to hacking because of nostalgia for things like the original Shiny Gold. Obviously new and much easier to use hacking methods have come around in recent years.
Forza Borussia Dortmund!

Quick note, I ended up losing the IPS files for ALL my hacks in the Sideshow Showcase, I ended up factory resetting my PC before making backups. Since you can't download them because the downloads are broken, and I no longer have access to them, well, you can figure out the rest -.-

Spacewalker

Exploring the universe.

Age 15
Male
Multiverse
Seen 13 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
874 posts
1.9 Years
Cause I'm a slacker; and because I'm working on a big ROM hacking tutorial, I mod PC, I mod a Discord server AND I have my finals in one month and other life stuff. Sad. c: