• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokemon Red] Adding a trainer

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 17, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am very new to ASM so apologies in advance if this question is silly.

The pokered version I am working with: https://github.com/pret/pokered (downloaded on Dec 1st, 2020)

What I wanted to do: Add another OPP_LASS trainer on route 3.

Where I added to:
  1. data\maps\objects\Route3.asm
  2. data\trainers\parties.asm
  3. scripts\Route3.asm
  4. constants\event_constants.asm
  5. text\Route3.asm

Successful Outcome:
-The additional lass is there (Screenshot)
-She battles me using the Pokemon I defined

Unexpected Outcome:
-She only fights me when I talk to her but she doesn't see me (i.e. doesn't walk up to me)
-After I fight her, I can talk to her again and the fight starts all over
-With other trainers, I now have the same problem, that I can fight them again and again

My ideas where the problem might be:
-In the TalkToTrainer script in home\trainers.asm

Also, if I repeat the 5 steps from the list above using an older version of pokered (11th of July 2020), it works and I don't see the unexpected problems. I compared scripts and macros between the two versions (and of course there are differences) but I couldn't pinpoint where the error is.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Hi, I've moved this over to Decomp & Disassembly Help! :)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 29, 2021
Hey, did you managed to find a solution to your problem? I was trying to add new trainer in my game (its a room with the 8 gym leaders, so you can rematch them as many times as you want) but i couldnt find any proper tutorial on this. And wasnt able to do it on my own

Back