• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Spinoff: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Green Rescue Team

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Green Rescue Team. A Rom Hack of PMD Red Rescue Team

Origins.

This is a Rom Hack started as a mere "Third Version" unifying both Red and Blue Rescue Team in one, while giving some quality of life changes.

Started? You mean, it's no longer the same?

Change.

It all changed when i decided i should aim for more. Currently i try to learn as much about editing the Hex Code, but i decided that i wanted the Games to take on a harder variant. It's no longer just a "Quality of Life Changes" hack.

Result.

The result is a Rom Hack with a higher difficulty curve, various quality of life changes, but the same story, with a couple dungeons renamed and changed. Some Pokemon were updated or even given new ways of being used due to new typings or abilities.

Features:

-Most Dungeons change somehow, be it name, scenario, music, name on the second half, Pokemon or even how they function.
-Higher Difficulty Curve (Pokemon in Tiny Woods are at Level 5, Pokemon in Sky Tower have a minimum level of 25. And no Post Game Dungeons will have levels lower than 30, barring a few exceptions.)
-Altered text to reflect on the dungeon's new names (Except Sky Tower, due to limitations)
-Pokemon who didn't have a second ability were gifted one, be it their hidden ability, abilities gifted to them in later generations, abilities that resembled those in case of lack of ability, or in case of abilities that resembled such cases, abilities that would benefit them. Some even had completely new abilities.
-Some Pokemon changed Typings. Cases like this are: Fire/Ground Typhlosion, Grass/Fire Sunflora, Water/Steel Blastoise, Rock/Electric Nosepass, and many more.
-Munchlax is recruitable, complete with ability, stats, friend area location and evolution method. However, due to the lack of capabilities, and the fact that Munchlax canonically has no moves in this game, it's move pool is dummied out. Considering, however, that this is Gen 3, it kinda fits, making it feel like a brand new Pokemon. Munchlax might be a completionist's trophy.
-In favor of Munchlax being in the same friend area as Snorlax in it's friend area, Aipom was moved to the Jungle Friend Area.
-Regarding to Friend Areas, all of them got name changes to their DX names, or closer to those names. Additionally, all friend areas are purchasable from the start, with the exception of those you can only obtain via recruiting a Legendary Pokemon and Darkness Ridge, which is still given to you by Absol. Prices were also adjusted to reflect their new availability.
-All Main Story Dungeons will allow you to bring 4 Pokemon. Trust me, you might need it.
-Most items got a palette swap. It adds that extra flair and ease of distinction.
-All Pokemon are recruitable. Long gone are the days of only getting certain Pokemon via evolution. However, it might be best if you still evolve Pokemon, in case you don't want to miss out on certain moves.
-You may recruit Pokemon in Purity Forest, making it slightly more tolerable. However, it is still the ultimate dungeon.
-There are no version exclusives.
-The "DLC" dungeons Oddity Cave, Marvelous Sea, Fantasy Strait and Remains Island all got differences, and the codes to access them still works.

Screenshots:

Here will be a couple screenshots i took. Didn't want to spoil the game too much.

Status of Completion:

Currently, the Game is practically complete. While further updates to fix issues or for re-balancing purposes could come out, it's practically complete. Currently, i'm trying to wrap my head around Hex Editing so i can expand my scope of hacking. Other than that, though, the game's practically finished. If any new updates come out or are on the works, then i will mention it.

How to Patch:

Instructions will be on the Download.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Will be in the README.txt in the download.

Credits:

First, big thanks to FragOnCrack and Nahnegnal, for they not only helped me with some things i had issues on, but they also served as an inspiration. I seriously recommend playing their ROM hack "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Advanced" if you haven't already, they are amazing and i assure you it's better than mine.
Additional Credits to Nahnegnal for his willingness to teach me the language of wizards: Hex Code Editing. It's not easy, and i'm still on the process of learning, but i'll get there.
Credits for the creator of PMDe (Forgot what's their name sadly, if anyone knows, do tell me).
Huge shoutout to the PMD Advanced Discord Server, as they were there when i was making this. It also happens to be where a lot of the Red Rescue Team Hacking community is.
Additionally, big thanks to the SkyTemple Discord Server, as some people there assisted me in some stuff down the line (Even though it's a Server dedicated to EoS). They're making a EoS editing tool, so i recommend you check it out.
Big thanks to my Beta Testers (Whom i'm keeping in secret).
Big, big shoutout to Mystaldi and his Discord Server. He has provided a real good modding tutorial, and his community is super nice! Check out their channel, as they're amazing.
Also credits to Nintendo/Pokemon Company/Gamefreak because they own Pokémon, as usual.
And for Chunsoft (Later named Spike Chunsoft) for creating both Red and Blue Rescue Team and Rescue Team DX, as it served as some inspiration to some of the changes.

Frequently Asked/Possible Questions:

It is in the README.txt file, but i will also provide it here.
Spoiler:

Add-ons:

Currently, the only mod that's compatible is the Red Rescue Team Complete Team Control Hack/Mod, also known as "Manual Movement" by Jirt. While you could try to play without it, given the general raised difficulty, you may prefer having full control of your team rather than leaving it all to a dumb AI.

Download:

Here will be the .rar file which you'll find the patcher i used, the patch itself, the README.text, as well as another file that gives you locations of Kecleon Shops.

Final Word:

That would be all. I hope you have fun playing this and you seriously enjoy yourselves playing through this thing i put together.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 3, 2024
Hmm, this ROM Hack is interesting, even though I'm not much into Mystery Dungeons. I'll happilly give it a try when it'll be complete.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Hmm, this ROM Hack is interesting, even though I'm not much into Mystery Dungeons. I'll happilly give it a try when it'll be complete.

As mentioned before, the game's practically complete. I made it clear that there were no guarantees that "Release 3" would ever come out, since it might require learning Hex Coding, of which i have great struggles messing with. So you might as well call this Complete-ish.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 3, 2024
As mentioned before, the game's practically complete. I made it clear that there were no guarantees that "Release 3" would ever come out, since it might require learning Hex Coding, of which i have great struggles messing with. So you might as well call this Complete-ish.

Oh, my apologies then. I'll give it a go when I'll have time to do so.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
You will add some new features like Mega evolution if mega evolution patch is released?

Unlikely. It's mostly due to the issue that PMD Red is very underworked right now.

Edit (To avoid Double Posting): PMD Green had an update, fixing the Decoy issue in Mt. Blaze Falls, as well as re-balancing some Pokemon before the fugitive arc! Link's the same.

Editi (Again): Another patch came up. There's a few balancing fixes and fixes in oversights.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
One fun addition I'd personally make is giving a Pokemon the 'itemize' move in level up. If used as a move and not an orb, it never misses and could really pose a problem for people who rely on Reviver seeds, since this move isn't affected by those items and is essentially an automatic dungeon ender if hit by it. Maybe by giving it to select post game dungeon pokemon could really make this challenge intense.

It's still unusable during boss fights, but by giving it to a player with 1 PP usage, it could end up being a little more balanced and would prevent the player from spamming it. Also using it doesn't give any EXP upon turning the foe into an item so if you want to level up, you'd need to still use normal moves.

I use it to farm items like Vitamins and Sitrus berries in specific dungeons in Blue Rescue Team. It's actually quite fun.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
One fun addition I'd personally make is giving a Pokemon the 'itemize' move in level up. If used as a move and not an orb, it never misses and could really pose a problem for people who rely on Reviver seeds, since this move isn't affected by those items and is essentially an automatic dungeon ender if hit by it. Maybe by giving it to select post game dungeon pokemon could really make this challenge intense.

It's still unusable during boss fights, but by giving it to a player with 1 PP usage, it could end up being a little more balanced and would prevent the player from spamming it. Also using it doesn't give any EXP upon turning the foe into an item so if you want to level up, you'd need to still use normal moves.

I use it to farm items like Vitamins and Sitrus berries in specific dungeons in Blue Rescue Team. It's actually quite fun.

Editing level up moves as of right now is outside my skills of editing. Even then, i don't think an "Automatic" dungeon ender move would be fun at all. It's already harder than normally currently, so need for Itemize is just. Not there.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Editing level up moves as of right now is outside my skills of editing. Even then, i don't think an "Automatic" dungeon ender move would be fun at all. It's already harder than normally currently, so need for Itemize is just. Not there.

Doesn't the Red Dungeon have a modding tool that would edit level up moves? I've used it before. Are you only using hex edits? And yeah, now that you put it that way, it doesn't sound as fun. Maybe for a kaizo feel hack. Anyway, best of luck!

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Doesn't the Red Dungeon have a modding tool that would edit level up moves? I've used it before. Are you only using hex edits? And yeah, now that you put it that way, it doesn't sound as fun. Maybe for a kaizo feel hack. Anyway, best of luck!

Wait, is there? If so, what it is? It would solve a lot of my issues, actually.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Well that went nowhere. Because PMDe is the editor i am using. So that won't work.

I was just going to say that I was surprised that you did all the edits via hex.

Sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
I was just going to say that I was surprised that you did all the edits via hex.

Sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up.

Nah. I did PMDe. What i mean is that any further edits will only happen with hex editing.

Edit: I have released a new Patch! This Patch alters how certain moves work. Please, do give feedback!

Edit number 2: New Patch dropped. This fixes the issue where how moves working didn't change. Now it should be working properly.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Did they update PMDe? I tried editing moves on my own but it was view only. Maybe I don't have the most recent version.

Also, has anyone gotten any information on level up movesets? That's one of the key features that PMDe lacked.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Did they update PMDe? I tried editing moves on my own but it was view only. Maybe I don't have the most recent version.

Also, has anyone gotten any information on level up movesets? That's one of the key features that PMDe lacked.

They did not. Editing moves on PMDe also requires editing a few Unknown/Short values, of which i figured out with a little help of Nahnegnal. It's tough, but if you have references and information, you get the gist of it.

As for Movesets, we do have information on them, but it isn't the easiest thing to do. The issue is that, indeed, PMDe was abandoned. And it hasn't gotten an update yet, since to do so, someone has to take the reins of making a tool. A tool which, as of right now, requires JavaScript to understand how to work with. If we have more people on deck and invested on progressing/speeding up the process to make RRT hacking as easy as EoS hacking is right now, then we can level the playing field and more things could be done with more ease. Which in turn allows ME to do MORE with MORE EASE.

Back