• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advice needed for a novice.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 14, 2017
I am looking to start my own ROM hack, I feel I have a good grasp of the basics thanks to Anthroyd's excellent video tutorials and various threads on here and am almost ready to begin properly.
Ideally I would like to keep most of the original Fire Reds scripts in place, keeping the plot of the original game but with the following changes/additions;

Change starter to Pikachu and have him follow the hero at all times.
Up to date Pokedex including Gen 7 Pokemon and mechanics including mega evolution and Z moves.
A Day/Night system that switches the wild Pokemon available depending on time and the ability to grow berries/acorns.
Some kind of battle tower style defend your title mechanic after you become champion.

Since this is my first ROM hack I don't want to set my goals too high and some of the mentioned changes my not be possible, especially with my level of skill but I have seen what other people have done with their hacks and some of the patches available look very appealing.

I need some advice

I am aware of some of the patches available such as;
Navenatox's Dynamic Overworld Pallets
MrDollSteak's Decap. and Attack Rombase (Version 1.5a)
prime-dialga's DNS - Day, Night and Seasons
JPAN's hacked engine
pokefreak890's Pok?mon FireRed 1460ips

But which patches are recommended for a novice like me?
for instance pokefreak890's patch seems to delete a lot of things that I'd rather keep, is there a relatively simple fix for this or am I better off using something else and if so what other options are there?

Hopefully I have posted this in the correct section if not I apologise and ask could a mod please point me to the right direction.

Back