• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serena's Design: The Old vs. The New

Which of Serena's designs do you like?

• Total voters
Years
Serena_XY.png
Serena_XY2.png

(the designs together for comparison)

One thing we know about Serena is that she was known for being the first main character in the anime to change their look completely, which happened in episode XY060 after failing in her first Pokemon Showcase. The haircut and redesign was something most of us never expected so it was definitely something fresh, with hew new design being a truly anime-original look that definitely departed from her original design's basis on her ingame counterpart.

That comes to the topic, which of Serena's designs did you like better? What did you think about her redesign in general?

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Meant to vote for the first design. Oh well. I do like the cowboy boots from the second design though.

Guest123_x1

I think both of Serena's designs are cute. While I was, like many other people, finding it hard to accept that she was going to change her look, I soon caught on to her new outfit and haircut, and now I even think that the redesign makes her even cuter. Of course, other people will probably jump all over me in disagreement, including a certain regular member...

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Anyone who's been around the anime section longer should know why I voted for the old design. It's because the long hair is suppose to be part of her beauty trait, just like how Misty or May's short hair are part of her beauty trait. There are hair styles that work for certain female characters, and short doesn't work for Serena. Veteran users here would also know how the haircut scene traumatized me to the point where I couldn't concentrate on my college work and tried to think of Smash to get it off of my head, only to come back to torture my mind again.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I'm fine with both designs. I wasn't really torn when Serena cut her hair, because she can work with any hairstyle, really. I'd love to see her maybe change her hairstyle one last time after the Master Class, but it is highly unlikely it'll happen. Since Kalos had trainer customization anyway, it made sense when Serena changed her look, that's all I really saw in her redesign, really, "Trainer Customization" in the anime. I also thought her first design was cute, since the long hair suited her at the time, now I feel the short hair works for her fine.

Years
I am someone who also likes both designs on her, and like Karnavaly said the redesign was kind of the anime's interpretation of X/Y's trainer customization feature.

When I first heard she was changing her look I was very sceptical as to how it would be handled but I was happy with the way it turned out, and like many it was odd to see such a change at first it had since grown on me fast because I feel like she can work many different hairstyles. The new design in particular had more appeal to me, especially because it seems to make her feel more like an individual, and the confidence boost she got from her makeover.

I also knew her short hair wouldn't suit her original outfit, because to make her resolve look "complete" she needed to have a new outfit as well, to signify a new reborn Serena, which really ties in with the fact that in the culture for a lot of Asian countries (such as Japan), a haircut is meant to signify a new beginning.

The hat and boots give Serena's new design a sense of maturity, but the ribbon will always be my fave part of the new outfit, because it always reminds her of Ash and his "never give up" remark. Now every time I think of Serena, I always associate the original design with her game appearance and the new one with the anime appearance.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I like both, but Serena's new design is by far my favorite. It isn't as girl as the other one which I love. I honestly with the whole outfit was in the games.

I really love the blue ribbon though. It is by far my favorite park of the outfit. And as I live in the south, I really love the boots. I really don't like the skirt feeling. If she isn't in the next saga, I really hope she is replaced by someone with a more tom boyish look, but not completely boyish. Have a mix of both like she had when she rides the Rhyhorn.

Years
I really love the blue ribbon though. It is by far my favorite park of the outfit. And as I live in the south, I really love the boots. I really don't like the skirt feeling. If she isn't in the next saga, I really hope she is replaced by someone with a more tom boyish look, but not completely boyish. Have a mix of both like she had when she rides the Rhyhorn.

I actually made a "blue ribbon appreciation post" on my Tumblr which features my fave close-up shots of the ribbon, so I can see why you loved it. The boots initially turned me off but these days I think they actually suit her, to the point I even think they look cuter than her black high-tops.

As for the "skirt" it seems to be a dress that looks like she made it herself, since it seems to be tied up by the ribbon and if you look closely underneath, you can see the black top from the original outfit, as well as its white collar.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
As I wrote before, I prefer her new look, since her long hair reminded me too much the hair Iris had. Now, with short hair, she is unique character finally for me ;)

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Here A picture I drew --

smile_by_idealist99-d9w138d.jpg

It show How Beautiful serena would have become if she just change her bang instate of cutting off hair.
So , You can see Why I'm disappointed with her new hairstyle .

Years
Here A picture I drew --

smile_by_idealist99-d9w138d.jpg

It show How Beautiful serena would have become if she just change her bang instate of cutting off hair.
So , You can see Why I'm disappointed with her new hairstyle .

It makes me think how different Serena would look if she kept her long hair, but had the bangs that her new design has.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2018
For me, Serena is one of the most beautiful Pokemon characters either way. However, I would have to say that her new look slightly edges it. I like how it differentiates her from her game counterpart and the added maturity it brings to her. The finishing touch on a beautiful look is of course dat ribbon. It's the cherry on top of a very beautiful cake!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I like both Serena designs, even though at times I'm leaning more on her redesign, because when Serena cuts her hair and change her outfit as well, it signifies her resolve to make a new beginning, and that she wants to reach into new heights. That's why she become one of the most developed main cast in Pokémon XY anime for me.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I kinda like the old design better because I feel it matches the game perfectly, but I seems fine with the new design probably to avoid klutzy during pokemon showcase where her hair cause her to fall. It's a shame though.

PunkRockRat

Punking Pun-King
Years
Seeing as I personally find girls with long hair cute, I must say that additionally based on the clothes I find the old Serena better.

Though more and more girls are cutting their hair short nowadays, which I don't mind at all, and it seems like she's happy with her decision and the new beginning it brought, so it's no loss at all.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Plus , Personality influence A Characters beauty ! Serena's main problem lies in her personality .
Just look at Y-chan from PokeSpe manga.
She looks exactly like Serena , Yet she seem far more attractive and Cuter then Serena.
I guess , Its possibly because of her strong , Brave and head-strong personality that make her cuter then Serena .
Not to mention , She process leadership quality as she lead the group when X is just too depress to lead anyone.
In fact , I start crying over the "Serena" we have compare to the Cool "Y-chan" from PokeSpe manga.

Back