Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

TrollandToad.com
 
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old July 17th, 2012 (10:29 PM).
munchhack's Avatar
munchhack munchhack is offline
Advanced Scripter
     
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: Las Vegas
    Age: 18
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 98
    Garchomp Choice Scarf
    Sand Veil
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Careful
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Fire Blast

    Excadrill Choice Band
    Sand Rush
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Bashful
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    X-Scissor
    Return


    Ludicolo Life Orb
    Swift Swim
    4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest
    Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Energy Ball
    Focus Blast

    Gigalith
    Sturdy
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Quirky
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake
    Explosion
    Stealth Rock

    Gallade
    Steadfast
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Serious
    Close Combat
    Psycho Cut
    Leaf Blade
    Stone Edge

    Forretress
    Sturdy
    252 Def / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
    Serious
    Explosion
    Spikes
    Toxic Spikes
    Gyro Ball
    __________________

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old July 18th, 2012 (4:31 AM).
    PlatinumDude's Avatar
    PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
    Nyeh?
    • Gold Tier
     
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Location: Canada
    Age: 23
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Hasty
    Posts: 12,897
    As much as I hate to say it, you're going to have to do some re-breeding on some of your Pokemon, particularly Garchomp. Under normal circumstances, its nature should be Jolly. A Careful nature isn't good on it because it's more of a "defensive" nature, and Garchomp is more tailored towards sweeping than defending/supporting. When Black 2/White 2 come, you can teach Garchomp Outrage; this should go over Fire Blast.

    Excadrill appreciates the freedom of switching moves to hit opponents hard with the appropriate move, considering that Choice Band leaves it locked into a single move as long as it's in battle. Use and Air Balloon as the item for a temporary immunity to Earthquake. Also, use an Adamant nature; Bashful does absolutely nothing on a Pokemon's stats.

    Gigalith is terrible in OU because of its somewhat widespread weaknesses and shallow move pool. Tyranitar should be in there instead because it sets up Sandstorm and has a much better move pool:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Crunch
    -Fire Blast
    -Ice Beam/Superpower/Stone Edge
    Nature: Sassy/Hasty
    EVs: 252 HP/64 SAtk/192 SDef (Sassy) or 56 Atk/252 SAtk/200 Spe (Tyranitar)
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Stream

    What exactly is Ludicolo doing on the team? Virizion is a better alternative because of its ability to help with bulky Waters:
    -Calm Mind
    -Giga Drain
    -Focus Blast
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

    or
    -Swords Dance
    -Leaf Blade
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

    or
    -Work Up
    -Close Combat
    -Giga Drain
    -Stone Edge/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 104 Atk/152 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

    or
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Taunt
    -Giga Drain/Close Combat
    Nature: Timid/Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Light Clay


    Gallade should use an Adamant or Jolly nature to take advantage of its high Attack or decent Speed. Replace Leaf Blade with Night Slash or Trick (latter comes as a B2/W2 move tutor). Give it Expert Belt or Life Orb

    On Forretress, just so you know, Gyro Ball gets stronger the slower you are than the opponent and adding in Speed EVs makes it weaker. Using a 0 Speed IV (or something close to it) with no Speed EVs makes Gyro Ball very strong. Make the EV spread 252 HP/176 Def/80 SDef for more bulk. Explosion got nerfed in the generation shift (it no longer halves Defense before it hits). Rapid Spin is the primary option in the last slot to get rid of opposing entry hazards.
    __________________

      #3    
    Old July 18th, 2012 (10:22 AM).
    munchhack's Avatar
    munchhack munchhack is offline
    Advanced Scripter
       
      Join Date: Jun 2012
      Location: Las Vegas
      Age: 18
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Adamant
      Posts: 98
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
      As much as I hate to say it, you're going to have to do some re-breeding on some of your Pokemon, particularly Garchomp. Under normal circumstances, its nature should be Jolly. A Careful nature isn't good on it because it's more of a "defensive" nature, and Garchomp is more tailored towards sweeping than defending/supporting. When Black 2/White 2 come, you can teach Garchomp Outrage; this should go over Fire Blast.

      Excadrill appreciates the freedom of switching moves to hit opponents hard with the appropriate move, considering that Choice Band leaves it locked into a single move as long as it's in battle. Use and Air Balloon as the item for a temporary immunity to Earthquake. Also, use an Adamant nature; Bashful does absolutely nothing on a Pokemon's stats.

      Gigalith is terrible in OU because of its somewhat widespread weaknesses and shallow move pool. Tyranitar should be in there instead because it sets up Sandstorm and has a much better move pool:
      -Stealth Rock
      -Crunch
      -Fire Blast
      -Ice Beam/Superpower/Stone Edge
      Nature: Sassy/Hasty
      EVs: 252 HP/64 SAtk/192 SDef (Sassy) or 56 Atk/252 SAtk/200 Spe (Tyranitar)
      Item: Leftovers
      Ability: Sand Stream

      What exactly is Ludicolo doing on the team? Virizion is a better alternative because of its ability to help with bulky Waters:
      -Calm Mind
      -Giga Drain
      -Focus Blast
      -Hidden Power (Ice)
      Nature: Timid
      EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
      Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

      or
      -Swords Dance
      -Leaf Blade
      -Close Combat
      -Stone Edge/Hidden Power (Ice)
      Nature: Jolly
      EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
      Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

      or
      -Work Up
      -Close Combat
      -Giga Drain
      -Stone Edge/Hidden Power (Ice)
      Nature: Hasty/Naive
      EVs: 104 Atk/152 SAtk/252 Spe
      Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

      or
      -Reflect
      -Light Screen
      -Taunt
      -Giga Drain/Close Combat
      Nature: Timid/Jolly
      EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
      Item: Light Clay


      Gallade should use an Adamant or Jolly nature to take advantage of its high Attack or decent Speed. Replace Leaf Blade with Night Slash or Trick (latter comes as a B2/W2 move tutor). Give it Expert Belt or Life Orb

      On Forretress, just so you know, Gyro Ball gets stronger the slower you are than the opponent and adding in Speed EVs makes it weaker. Using a 0 Speed IV (or something close to it) with no Speed EVs makes Gyro Ball very strong. Make the EV spread 252 HP/176 Def/80 SDef for more bulk. Explosion got nerfed in the generation shift (it no longer halves Defense before it hits). Rapid Spin is the primary option in the last slot to get rid of opposing entry hazards.
      Ok thanks for the feedback, and also the only reason I have gigalith is because if stealth rock but because tyranitar can learn it I will happily get it, and does tyranitar learn it by level up or do I have to get it by tm in gen 4? Plus, I want speed in my forretress because I want it to attac first because of spikes and toxic spikes so ill replace gyro ball with rapid spin because I didn't even know what attack I was going to use I couldn't think of one.
      __________________
        #4    
      Old July 18th, 2012 (5:09 PM).
      Dark Azelf's Avatar
      Dark Azelf Dark Azelf is offline
      Probably hates you.
      • Gold Tier
       
      Join Date: Jun 2007
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Impish
      Posts: 7,146
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by munchhack View Post
      Plus, I want speed in my forretress because I want it to attac first because of spikes and toxic spikes so ill replace gyro ball with rapid spin because I didn't even know what attack I was going to use I couldn't think of one.
      Forretress is a wall/utility mon, it doesn't need speed. If you want fast Spikes you're most certainly using the wrong pokemon for that job. Without an attack move its set up fodder. Even Toxic would suffice as it actually covers spin blockers. Really though Forretress isnt very good its set up fodder, cant hurt ghosts (they'll be coming in to block your rapid spin) and lack of recovery hurts it as it struggles to set up on MANY things, as a Spiking steel its rather outclassed by Skarm and Ferrothorn and as spinner by Excadrill, so id just replace it for a better Spiker and leave spinning to something elsewhich brings me onto my next point.

      Garchomp and Excadrill are also banned. Really again people miss this when rating teams ? Its kinda annoying now lol. =\ Landorus and Sand Rush Sandslash (can spin better than forry if you went down that route)/Stoutland are viable replacements respectively. Landorus also benefits from PlatDudes T-Tar (use Sp.Def Tar though since nothing can Take Draco Meteors) suggestion cos of the sand.

      [email protected] Choice Scarf
      252 Atk / 4 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
      Naive Nature
      Trait: Sand Rush
      - Earthquake
      - Stone Edge
      - Hidden Power [Ice]
      - U-Turn

      Sandslash @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Passho Berry
      252 Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
      Jolly / Adamant Nature
      Trait: Sand Rush
      - Swords Dance
      - Earthquake
      - Stone Edge
      - Rapid Spin / X-Scissor / Return

      Or

      Sandslash @ Choice Band
      252 Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
      Jolly / Adamant Nature
      Trait: Sand Rush
      - X-Scissor
      - Earthquake
      - Stone Edge
      - Return / Rapid Spin

      As for Stoutland

      Stoutland @ Choice Band
      252 Atk / 252 Speed / 6 HP
      Adamant Nature
      Trait: Sand Rush
      - Return
      - SuperPower
      - Wild Charge
      - Crunch


      Hope this helps good luck with the team.
      __________________
      This signature has been disabled.
      You\'ve been told enough times to remove this signature. Slandering a part of PokeCommunity is unacceptable.
      Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

      You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

      Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
        #5    
      Old July 19th, 2012 (4:39 AM).
      PlatinumDude's Avatar
      PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
      Nyeh?
      • Gold Tier
       
      Join Date: Aug 2010
      Location: Canada
      Age: 23
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Hasty
      Posts: 12,897
      Oh my; how could I forget that Excadrill and Garchomp are banned in standard play? But this is Random Matchup; anything could happen I guess.

      If you want to stick to Forretress, go with the EV spread I mentioned earlier. As I already mentioned, adding Speed EVs on Forretress makes Gyro Ball weaker. To further elaborate why the spread I mentioned is better, Forretress has the defenses and typing to take hits while it sets up its hazards. Use both Rapid Spin and Gyro Ball together just so Forretress isn't just a "set up entry hazards, spin opposing hazards away then die" kind of Pokemon. But yeah, a different Spiker like Ferrothorn would be a better idea over it, considering that Dark_Azelf already suggested Sandslash as a Rapid Spinner:
      -Spikes/Stealth Rock
      -Leech Seed
      -Power Whip/Protect
      -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
      Nature: Relaxed
      EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
      Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell
      __________________

        #6    
      Old July 19th, 2012 (1:28 PM).
      munchhack's Avatar
      munchhack munchhack is offline
      Advanced Scripter
         
        Join Date: Jun 2012
        Location: Las Vegas
        Age: 18
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 98
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
        Oh my; how could I forget that Excadrill and Garchomp are banned in standard play? But this is Random Matchup; anything could happen I guess.

        If you want to stick to Forretress, go with the EV spread I mentioned earlier. As I already mentioned, adding Speed EVs on Forretress makes Gyro Ball weaker. To further elaborate why the spread I mentioned is better, Forretress has the defenses and typing to take hits while it sets up its hazards. Use both Rapid Spin and Gyro Ball together just so Forretress isn't just a "set up entry hazards, spin opposing hazards away then die" kind of Pokemon. But yeah, a different Spiker like Ferrothorn would be a better idea over it, considering that Dark_Azelf already suggested Sandslash as a Rapid Spinner:
        -Spikes/Stealth Rock
        -Leech Seed
        -Power Whip/Protect
        -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
        Nature: Relaxed
        EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
        Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell
        Ok so I'll take out Excadrill and Garchomp cause either way I don't want to do Random Match up anymore because it is a 3 on 3 battle and I wanted all 6 of my Pokemon so that was a fail xD
        __________________
         

        Quick Reply

        Join the conversation!

        Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

        Create a PokéCommunity Account

        Sponsored Links
        Thread Tools

        Posting Rules
        You may not post new threads
        You may not post replies
        You may not post attachments
        You may not edit your posts

        BB code is On
        Smilies are On
        [IMG] code is On
        HTML code is Off

        Forum Jump


        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:56 PM.