• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 17, 2017
Alright so I figured out where Celebi was.... in one of Bill's boxes and I don't even know what the hell it was even doing there. Am I to understand the game is scripted to just give it to you after doing the "final challenge" a second time and it just went to box since my party was obviously full?

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
any chance of a second variant with the full 386 for those of us with OCD?

no chance.

Alright so I figured out where Celebi was.... in one of Bill's boxes and I don't even know what the hell it was even doing there. Am I to understand the game is scripted to just give it to you after doing the "final challenge" a second time and it just went to box since my party was obviously full?

Spoilers:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 17, 2017
Spoilers:
Spoiler:
The only other modification I was using was the Day/Night Cycle injector, this one:
showthread.php?t=246089
As for the screenshot that will be hard since I had already deleted the game last night after realizing I already had Celebi.
I was playing on my hacked 3DS if that makes any difference.
Right now I moved on to Chronosplit's Complete Hoenn Dex hack of Emerald.

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
Depending on how the RTC was implimented, the cycle injector may have messed up things.

I'm gonna leave that to people more knowledgeable about Throwback to confirm though.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jan 3, 2022
All the numbers on my trainer ID are 0's XD that's kinda weird. but i enjoyed playing through this hack, great job!

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 28, 2023
Hi,Tkim,May I ask a question? I can find the event person in any upperfloor of the pokecenters.

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
Hello. I wanted to ask if there is a chance for more difficult version.
My little addon ups the difficulty of gym leaders and the E4 along with removing Zubat nerfs put into FR , but this is not nearly to the level that a difficulty hack from this site would go. The edits are all minor, more like Challenge Mode did.

Honestly it would be rather tough to make Throwback actually difficult, what with things like the new Poison rules and Reusable TMs. You'd be steamrolling everyone eventually either way if you aren't Nuzlocking or something similar. I've been able to use the source files to customize my extras, but this locks you out of the unofficial updates as it's a single patch.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
I love this hack, especially being able to make Red look like his true Gen 1 self.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Tkim's updates have been great and have improved this hack a lot. Only one I disagree with is Celebi, but even then your implementation is much better than Richter's.

If I created a prism scale item and inserted it into the game, what would I have to edit in order to make it work with Feebas in Bill's teleporter? The script doesn't seem to mention specific pokemon.

Did you have any problems when obtaining Celebi, such as having a different trainer id after? The way I implemented Celebi, i compared it to how Jirachi was distributed from the bonus disk. One thing I would've liked to add was to spawn the player at the nearest Pokemon Center when obtaining Celebi. If I was to go for a more ingame-story route, it would have to feel canon (Would be okay with relating to HeartGold/SoulSilver somehow); I wouldn't just go about placing Celebi at any forest. Then there is also the legality of obtaining it; since Throwback has compatibility with other games in mind, transferring a pokemon from it to say, gen IV would accept the transferred Celebi as legal (not 100% sure, but definitely not obtained legitimately). If you were to transfer Mew from my modified Throwback to gen IV, it would read Mew as if it was obtained in Hoenn (since Mew is only available in Emerald).

The script does infact mention specific pokemon, but also specific items. In order for your new item to work on a new Pokemon, you need to add in the correct index numbers for each pokemon/item. The index numbers are displayed in hex in the script. If you're to add new checks, you would have to move the script to a new offset since it will be expanded.

Pokemon index: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_index_number_(Generation_III)
Item index: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_items_by_index_number_(Generation_III)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Nah, the Celebi event worked fine for me.

Wait, does the transporter even work on Hoenn pokemon? I just noticed in Richter's changelogs he mentions it not working. Has that been fixed?

It will work as long as the national dex is unlocked.

Pokebone

Banned
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 18, 2018
tkim, could you please add the little event with Mew running through the grass on Faraway Island? Please dawg. It would feel hella nostalgic.

Years
Hey, Mr. Tkim, I saw a patch that updates all move effects to the most recent gen. Can you patch that together with Throwback? Would be great if you add the PSS icons to! Nice improvements in the hack, man, keep the good work! :)
Oh, I forgot to say, I patched that move att with Throwback, I found one bug with the pallete in the Bulbasaur icon, thats why I asking you this.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
tkim, could you please add the little event with Mew running through the grass on Faraway Island? Please dawg. It would feel hella nostalgic.

No, unless there are proper sprites for mew and long grass. And those have to be really good.

Hey, Mr. Tkim, I saw a patch that updates all move effects to the most recent gen. Can you patch that together with Throwback? Would be great if you add the PSS icons to! Nice improvements in the hack, man, keep the good work! :)
Oh, I forgot to say, I patched that move att with Throwback, I found one bug with the pallete in the Bulbasaur icon, thats why I asking you this.

Adding that patch would break compatibility to when link-battling between versions (includes unmodified versions). Throwback has always had compatibility in mind, so I will never add that patch in. The bulbasaur icon bug exists in my current version even without the move att patch, and it's something I need to fix. That bug is probably related to the de-capitalization patch, so I need to get rid of the de-cap, as I believe it's implementation was automated rather than doing manual edits. I'll release a new version soon, but again, it won't include the move att patch. Sorry!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 29, 2022
I just like to take a moment of appreciation for this hack. To me this is by far the best version FireRed can get without diverging from it's original intent. It's all about the small tweaks like cutting trees for good, nature stat change display, easy to re-use repels, running indoors and running shoes from the get go. These and other changes help so much with game flow.
Congratulations to this room hacker, it's a masterpiece!

It's very hard to think of a way to improve this. The only thing I can come up with is:
- Fossils are resurrected in a much higher level. Kind of rough to have Level 5 Aerodactyl in Late Game. So you stop all the game flow to grind them to your party level. (I think level 30-35 would be far more acceptable).
- Staryu seems to be placed only on Cinnabar Island, so only late game. I would place it on either Pallet Town, Viridian City and/or Route 22 (much like Leaf Green). When it would be far more acceptable to catch it, teach it Surf and not have that much grind to reach your party's level.

Decagram

Pokèmon Adventures Special is the best
Years
Hey tkim, can you please tell me how to evolve my eevee into an espeon?

Last edited:
Back