• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] TCG in RPG Maker

Would you like to see this project realised and, if so, which version of RPG Maker should it use?

• Yes, and RPG Maker MV

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Yes, and RPG Maker VX Ace

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Yes, and RPG Maker XP

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • No, go away

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

Epidal

Professional Pokémon Poacher
Years
I'm planning on creating a set of scripts and supporting tools to allow people to create Pok?mon TCG games with RPG Maker (think Pok?mon Essentials, but for emulating Pok?mon Card GB instead of the main series).
I'd like to get the community's opinion on which version of RPG Maker to choose. I've been looking at the latest one (RPG Maker MV), but I know a lot of people here may not have much experience with it, or may prefer the older versions.
I would also like to gauge the general interest in a project like this, and see how many people would be willing to contribute to the project. I'd like to focus on the programming side of things myself, as creating art assets would take up too much of my time (especially if I choose to use RMMV as it uses a non-standard tile size). I'm also not that talented when it comes to pixel art.
If there's enough interest, I'll start working on the core scripts and throw the project up on GitHub.

EDIT: Please, if you vote, I would greatly appreciate if you could take the time to post a reply explaining your reasoning behind your vote. Just voting "no" and leaving no actual input doesn't help, and having real responses would help weed out any "troll" votes.

Last edited:

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
RPGMaker MV is better in just about every way. The only reason you see people here stick with XP is because it's the only one that supports essentials.

Also there's the obvious bonus of being able to play your game on mobile devices as well. Which imo, the mobility of the original Gameboy TCG title was one of its biggest assets.

Epidal

Years
RPGMaker MV is better in just about every way. The only reason you see people here stick with XP is because it's the only one that supports essentials.

Also there's the obvious bonus of being able to play your game on mobile devices as well. Which imo, the mobility of the original Gameboy TCG title was one of its biggest assets.

This was my own opinion, too. I like how open the RMMV engine is due to the fact that it runs on node.js, and that the team decided to open-source their efforts on said engine. I also much prefer JS over RGSS. I wasn't sure, however, how the community felt about the newest RPG Maker, which is why I asked. There's also the issue of cost; the earlier versions are cheaper, which makes them accessible to more people. Although, I suppose if someone was determined enough to use the software and NOT pay for it, they'd find a cracked version... Anyway, thanks for your input.

Epidal

Years
I'd like to get more feedback on this. Where's a good place to ask? Are there any subreddits with a reasonable amount of traffic dedicated to this kind of thing?

Years
I'd like to get more feedback on this. Where's a good place to ask? Are there any subreddits with a reasonable amount of traffic dedicated to this kind of thing?

While I'm not sure where you'd find someone willing to make the game's graphical assets, I do know that our own Pok?mon Trading Card Game section has a few people who might be interested in helping with card design for any non-official cards you'd add as well as for interpretation of any areas where the rules aren't clear on how a situation would play out.

I also know Maruno was working on a project like this a couple years ago before Pok?mon Essentials started taking up quite a bit more of his time.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
RPGMaker MV is better in just about every way.
No. I heard than several people complains about performance issues with certain Graphic Cards and SOs. And I prefer much more Ruby over JavaScript.

I also know Maruno was working on a project like this a couple years ago before Pokémon Essentials started taking up quite a bit more of his time.
Here.

Epidal

Years
No. I heard than several people complains about performance issues with certain Graphic Cards and SOs.
They seem to be addressing performance issues and just generally improving the core scripts on github: github.com/rpgtkoolmv/corescript

I prefer much more Ruby over JavaScript
They're both not really great languages, but JS running on Node.js outperforms Ruby by a drastic amount.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
No. I heard than several people complains about performance issues with certain Graphic Cards and SOs. And I prefer much more Ruby over JavaScript.

Much of those issues were when the software launched, the updates since then have fixed most of that. Also I've had two pc's that had issues with Rmxp, so it's not like that's inherently better.

As far as ruby compared to JavaScript is concerned, it's not really a matter of which you like better. I LIKE ruby more than JavaScript myself as well, but when it comes to trying to make a kit that's as accessible as possible, it's always better to use the most popular and widespread language possible. Just think about the fact that Essentials probably would have been ported to a better system by now, if it wasn't based on a language barely anybody uses.

Edit: Also to the OP. If you're looking for TCG sprites to use, even if albeit placeholders, there's someone on DA I follow whose done quite a few sprite overs of the older cards. Here is the link to her gallery -

http://speedxaaa.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/

In addition, I'm sure you can use any of the art that was made for the kit FL posted, if you ask permission.

Last edited:

Epidal

Years
If you're looking for TCG sprites to use, even if albeit placeholders, there's someone on DA I follow whose done quite a few sprite overs of the older cards. Here is the link to her gallery - *snip*

This person's pixel art is on point.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
As far as ruby compared to JavaScript is concerned, it's not really a matter of which you like better. I LIKE ruby more than JavaScript myself as well, but when it comes to trying to make a kit that's as accessible as possible, it's always better to use the most popular and widespread language possible. Just think about the fact that Essentials probably would have been ported to a better system by now, if it wasn't based on a language barely anybody uses.
I agree, just countered the statement "RPGMaker MV is better in just about every way.". MV isn't the same thing that VX Ace was to VX (excluding the perfomance problem on VXA I guess). I also disagree about the statement "if it wasn't based on a language barely anybody uses". Ruby is generally on language popularity top 10, currently was on position 11 in latest TIOBE ranking.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2023
I think that is a swell idea, XP because that is what Essentials is built for and is the best RPG Maker program to date due to numerous features that are exclusive to it and it's not too expensive to get. If this project of yours becomes real it could mean even better RPGXP games while also bringing back a favorite feature of mine from another equally great but always changing franchise, in Digimon World 3 you can play the Card Game.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2019
wow!TCG Pokemon! I like it!But in my city,it seems that people doesn't like tcg pokemon very much.I guess there are the reasons:1.the most important one,maybe because it isn't as multiple as the traditional pokemon game,eg weather,skills,level and mega.2.The traditional pokemon game in my opinion is a RPG,in a RPG,collect pokemon and grow them up are very important part.
So,if you want to make the game,you can do a survey about "there are how many people liking it".
umm,about which of RPGMaker,i think XP or VA,but not VX,because VX is said to be a transitional version from xp to va.I prefer VA because of the user interface.
umm,my summer holiday was just starting,i have many free time and i know ruby and rgss,if you need help,maybe i can help you.
(i am a Chinese who is poor of English,there must be many Syntax errors in this reply,hope you not mind.)

Epidal

Years
Hopefully this will be started because it's a great idea!

It has been started already, but progress is real slow as I don't have a lot of spare time right now. This should change soonish, though.
I decided to go ahead and use RMMV, not only because of the performance improvements over XP and VXAce, but also purely because it's the newest version of the software. I don't really want to use outdated versions which are no longer being developed. RMMV also gives use the ability to make any improvements to the main engine we went, as it's all open-source.

Years
It has been started already, but progress is real slow as I don't have a lot of spare time right now. This should change soonish, though.
I decided to go ahead and use RMMV, not only because of the performance improvements over XP and VXAce, but also purely because it's the newest version of the software. I don't really want to use outdated versions which are no longer being developed. RMMV also gives use the ability to make any improvements to the main engine we went, as it's all open-source.

Cannot wait for it!

Sotireon

Strong pokemon. Weak Pokemon.
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
How is this TCG GB reboot going jirachi? What do u need help with? Im obsessed with the original tcg game and would love to contribute!! Sprite revamp, music files, overworld sprites revamp? Attack animations? Please let me know

Back