• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are all the fossil pokemon rock types?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I mean they were fossilized and became rocks yes, but resurrecting them should mean that they would become fully biological again. Unless they were rock types to begin with, or the fossil machines just suck at their job.

Last edited:
Years
I actually wouldn't mind seeing a fossil Pokemon be something else other than Rock-type. It'd bring about an interesting amount of variety among fossil Pokemon rather than just being the predictable Rock/(insert other type here).

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
Personally I think it's a missed opportunity not making like Mega Aerodactyl something other rock. I think it'd be a rather cool trope to have the mega evolution essentially complete the restoration process to its fullest and we get to see what the fossils truly looked like at the time.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I honestly think all fossils are part rock due to being revived from a, well, rock fossil. I can definitely see Fossil Pokémon that don't really seem like Rock-types to me, like Anorith (feels more like an Aquatic Bug?) I do think that there were some fossil Pokémon that were biologically a different type before being revived.

The Kanto Fossils, though, honestly, they're definitely biologically Rock-types.

But... if you want my opinion, these are the Pokémon I think were NOT biologically Rock type when they were first alive:

Anorith, as I stated above. Most entries state it lived in warm seas, maybe Water/Bug back in the time they were alive.

Lileep, it lives in a lot of sea areas, apparently, and a lot of Pokedex entries seem to mention the sea. Water/Grass? Probably. It only learns one Rock type move by level up. It also only learns one water type move by level up, but that can easily be fixed.

Archen has always felt more Normal/Flying to me than a Rock/Flying Pokémon.

But other than that, I do honestly think they're all Rock types simply because they have been revived from a rock fossil. That's really it.

Back