• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to speed up mac?

Xilme

Banned
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 18, 2017
Guys!
What are the best ways to speed up MacBook Pro? Do you use any cleaning utilities? Actually, is mackeeper safe?

Delliar

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 5, 2018
Guys!
What are the best ways to speed up MacBook Pro? Do you use any cleaning utilities? Actually, is mackeeper safe?

Is mackeeper safe? I think yes. However, you always have a few ways. You can free up some space on your Mac without any apps. Just delete all useless files and apps, close all background programs.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2019
NO! Avoid MacKeeper like the plague! The only reason this app is popular is because they are aggressive with advertising, particularly in false pop-ups telling you about how your Mac is infected or your information has been breached. These are scams! Ironically, installing MacKeeper will give you exactly those problems they say they're shielding you from. It's a massive PITA to completely remove from your Mac too.

And macOS in general is good at maintaining itself. Unless you're experiencing hiccups or you think there's something wrong you should be fine without any download any utility apps meant to clean it.

But if you insist, you can look at software like CleanMyMac (paid) as a general cleaning utility, Gemini (paid) for getting rid of duplicate files roaming around in your Mac, AppCleaner (free) or iTrash (paid) for removing leftover files of apps you uninstall, and then there's also OnyX (free) and Cocktail (paid) which are both maintenance utilities. I wouldn't touch either OnyX or Cocktail unless you really know what you're doing lest you can render your computer unworkable. Again, in general, macOS is able to take care of itself and you only lean on these powerful third-party tools when you start experiencing problems. If you are indeed experiencing issues with your Mac, try downloading EtreCheck which is a free tool that can potentially help you get to the root of whatever problem you may be facing.

My apologies for only recommending paid software in some areas, but I can only recommend apps that I have used and vouch for. For alternatives, MacUpdate is a decent site where you can search for an app and in many cases it will recommend alternatives submitted by the community.

And finally... if you're looking for anti-virus software, in general you don't need it unless you often visit really shady websites or you're prone to installing random software from unverified sources. In that case, at least get yourself an on-demand anti-malware software and not those that run in the background continually zapping your precious resources. I personally keep Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac installed which is a software Malwarebytes originally bought (and rebranded) from a trusted developer who previously made the tool exclusively for exposing malware that may be hiding anywhere in your Mac. Run the anti-malware software whenever you feel an action you took may have inadvertently infected your computer.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac has a premium offering, but you can still use it for free as an on-demand anti-malware utility. Paying basically just nets you continuous background checking which is exactly what we're trying to avoid here. The premium feature is great for parents or anybody who are not used to working with computers?the crowd you don't expect to follow on with your suggestion to run a scan whenever they feel at risk?but you probably don't need it.

Hope this helps a bit!

Last edited:

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
MacKeeper is bad! It's one of the biggest scams in software (that I know of anyway ^-^).

The single best upgrade I did to my computer was to replace the hard drive by an SSD. Took it to a shop and they took like a week to give it back, but it has been very speedy ever since ^-^. This only applies if your computer is running a mechanical hard drive. My computer is from like 2012 so it had one of those.

I really don't use any cleaning utilities or anti-malware and I've never had any issues. Maybe it also helps that I do a clean install every time there is a new version of macOS.

Years
This only applies if your computer is running a mechanical hard drive.
Just an FYI, there's no need to call it "mechanical," because a hard drive is a hard drive and that's that, The only variances in hard drives are the type of connector (IDE vs SATA), the speed in which the drive revolves, and its disk capacity. Of course you have full size vs compact as well.

The functionality of a hard drive is all the same. If you mean to use "mechanical" to diversify it from an SSD, then that's not the best way to put it. A hard drive is a hard drive, and a solid-state drive is a solid-state drive; they're two entirely different technologies and units of storage.

Last edited:

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
Everyone I know calls "mechanical" to the hard drives with spinning discs and SSDs to the solid state ones. But okie, I will keep that in mind.

Back