• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity's Small Writing Contest!

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
GetTogetherLogo.png

PC's Small Writing Contest!

2mnfatt.png

No area is immune to the PokéCommunity Get-Together 2009's touch, not even the Fanfiction Forum! Everybody knows the fanfic writer is the most crazed form of a Pokémon fanatic and now it's time to show them why. In this event, I challenge not only those who hail from the Fanfic Lounge, but all members of PC to write an intriguing story based on a prompt chosen by yours truly. Sounds like the Fanfic Challenge thing Astinus had going on a while back, right? Well, there is one major difference: entries will be judged, scores will be given, and winners will be crowned.​

The Rules

• First and foremost, follow all PokéCommunity Rules.
  • Must be Pokémon related. This is PokéCommunity's get-together, after all.
  • No poetry. Sorry poets, but I simply cannot judge poetry, and even if I could I'd find it unfair to pit poetry against fiction.
  • All entries will be PMed to me. Not VMed. Not linked to. Definitely not emailed. I'm a 4th Tier Supporter, allow me to use my 1000 PM space. I will handle forwarding it to any additional judges. Also, please put the tag [SWC] at the beginning of your PM so I don't mistake it for something else.
  • I don't mind explicit work, but please mind your limits. Write as if you were to post this on a public Pokemon forum, of which hundreds of kids visit everyday.
  • It's called the Small Writing Contest for a reason. I'd appreciate it if you didn't give me a novel (if you do though, and it's interesting all the way through, bonus points for you!)
  • Follow the prompt. If the prompt is "the color blue," please don't write about red.
  • Entries can be submitted, resubmitted and even completely changed before 11:59 PM Monday, August 24th[EST].
  • The Fanfiction Challenge gave you a month. I'm giving you three days. Good luck. :D
The Prompt

Time

Creativity will win you points. Making Dialga/Celebi the center of attention won't.​
Judging

Each entry will be judged according to three categories:

• Grammar
  • Literary Elements (plot, setting, characterization, etc.)
  • Use of prompt
Each category will receive a score out of ten. Whichever story comes out with the highest score wins. Simple enough, right?

As of now, I am the only judge. However, I am partaking in other events, and even doing a little hosting of the Gaming Event on Saturday. For this reason, I am accepting more judges (two is a nice, round number) to help out with scoring. To apply, simply send me a PM about helping with the judging and link me to what you believe to be your best work (or write something on the spot, I don't care). It doesn't take much to impress me, I just want to make sure I'm not picking someone who wouldn't score higher than a 15 overall. Please note, though, that if you are a judge, you may NOT enter the competition.

Judges:

• Gummy
  • Astinus
  • Bay
Contestants

Prizes

vg4mkp.png

Small Writing Contest: 1st Place
Congratulations, you scored the highest in PC's Small Writing Contest! Make sure to show this off to your friends with the Writer's emblem!
Awarded to the entry with the highest score in the Small Writing Contest.

14syu0i.png

Small Writing Contest: 2nd Place
First is the worst! You got second in PC's Small Writing Contest, be happy!
Awarded to the entry with the second highest score in the Small Writing Contest.

Last edited:

Kazukii

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 2, 2009
Oh I'm definetly entering this. I love to write.. however I probably won't do very well :p
Do we put our entries on this thread?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
[jq]All entries will be PMed to me. Not VMed. Not linked to. Definitely not emailed. I'm a 4th Tier Supporter, allow me to use my 1000 PM space. I will handle forwarding it to any additional judges. Also, please put the tag [SWC] at the beginning of your PM so I don't mistake it for something else.[/jq]

I hope that answers your question.

Kazukii

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 2, 2009
Sorry didn't see that bit. Yeah, that answers my question perfectly. Other than one thing. You say we can change our editions untill midnight of the 24th. If we sent you our first edition but want to change it, do you discard the previous edition?

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Cool, as I've said before, I'm definitely entering this.

Small writing contest

A tear-jerking poem or short story about a ____________?
Hosted by Gummy, Klippy and Astinus

So poetry is definitely out. How about the tear jerking part? Do we have to conform to that too?

Also, how many entries are allowed per person?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
I asked Jake to change that >.>; Yes, poetry is out for good. If you can fit the tear jerking part into the prompt, then go for it. And only one entry per person.

I'll add an Recently Asked Questions section to that post later.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Just for the sake of general clarification, I'm assuming that all submissions must be completely new material written during the next three days?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I doubt I'll be able to get anything especially sharpened out, but it's a good writing exercise so I'll attempt it and have something up even if not in time for the contest itself.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I think I'd like to particiapte in this, so expect a short story from me soon :D

Guy

just a guy
Years
This seems fun, and the prompt is something I think I can work with too. I would like to participate in this event, so like deku, you can expect a PM from me within three days time. It'll be great practice for my writiting skills, and maybe influence me to write more afterwards.

I have been looking for the motive to write again, so hopefully this will be it.

Years
id like to join, i love to write. this is going to so fun, so expect a story from me soon. Also, a question, can their be a little blood in it? x3

heh...and can their be some...inappropriate words, like damn and hell? (hopefully the little kids wont think bad of that x3)

Last edited:

King!

better
Years
Yeah, I think I'll try to participate. My friend and I just finished a game we were playing, and it has a time machine in it. :P

Although, does it have to FOCUS on the Pokemon world, or does it just have to have Pokemon in it? Because this is...well, not exactly revolving around Pokemon, but most of the characters are Pokemon. xD

Bay

Years
Dang, I have one story already written long ago that would be perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect for the prompt! D: However, that story is a prequel to NE and is getting long, so I'm not complaining. XD

Hm, I have a few short ideas, so I'll see if I can come up with something.

Heh, I would have help, but busy at the moment. Need to finish this one application and finish off judging the Heart and Soul contest at Serebii. I'm also thinking of entering the graphics contest too. Bleh! :O

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Contest? Interesting.

I may try this. It's not everyday that there's a writing contest at PC and the whole Get-Together makes it special.

A shame that I have writer's block right now... but I'll try hard to get something done.

Also, a broad and very abstract prompt. I thought we were going to go with the 'tear-jerker' thing... :D

Back