• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2014
Username: Jleggy12
Type: Water
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): Blue, Gold, Emerald, Pearl, Black

My first challenge (and iirc, my first post? Signed up and then left for a while :P) So let's see how this goes! I've decided to go for a starter type to make things easier for myself with catching and whatever. I also need to purchase a copy of Black, but that probably won't be for some time yet :D

FIRST UPDATE: So, started on Blue, obviously picked Squirtle, bought the Magikarp off the guy in the Mt. Moon Pokecenter and trained that up. Went on with those 2 for a while, forgot where to find the old rod, so had them up to getting Eevee, which I immediately evolved to Vaporeon. Then got Lapras off the bloke in Silph. Just beaten Sabrina and about to move onto Cycling Road. Moves are pretty standard, although Gyrados has T-bolt, Vaporean Ice Beam and Blastoise EQ, so got some fairly decent coverage. Not had any problems yet.

Team:
Steve the Gyarados: Lv 41
Bob the Blastoise: Lv 40
Len the Vaporeon: Lv 40
Gerald the Lapras: Lv 29

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Having trouble raising my ground types for the league :(
Any ideas?

Team Quake:

Excadrill (Toshiba) Lv. 65
Rock slide
Swords dance
Shadow claw
Earthquake

Seismitoad (Marinus) Lv. 65
Grass knot
Hyper voice
Scald
Drain punch

Krookodile (Irwin) Lv. 66
Outrage
Crunch
Aerial ace
Earthquake

Stunfisk (Bacon) Lv. 66
Surf
Mud bomb
Thunderbolt
Fissure

Golurk (Colossus) Lv. 66
Heavy slam
Shadow punch
Earthquake
Hammer arm

Marowak (Scapula) Lv. 63
Brick break
Aerial ace
Double edge
Bone rush
Use the Lucky Egg on the Nimbasa Stadium trainers, and make sure you have done everything postgame trainer-wise (challenger's cave, etc.).

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Posting here as an old timer wishing to continue the Poison challenge to try and remember what I liked about Pokemon. The Fire Red playthrough was a memorable one for me, so I thought I should continue where I left off from the challenge to continue where I left off and hope to have the same experience. (Sapphire) However due to losing the save I may have to restart, but that is fine by me.

Though one thing I want to note: I am not, and I repeat, I am not gonna play through Unova. Seeing as that's the region that gave me the bad taste in the mouth, it'd be completely against what I'm aiming for right now to even touch any Gen 5 game. I started without Gen 5 and I'm gonna finish this without it. Being on the Champion list is of no significance to me. If this means I'm not going on it, then by all means. Only reason I'm posting here is to post the updates which I thought added to the experience. I am also gonna play by the old rules.

However, I don't know when I'll start. Could be next week, could be the end of the month, could be never. Hopefully it'll be sooner than later. Reason I'm posting right now is to see if it is alright with the OP to do as I please.
Don't worry man, I don't blame you for hating Unova. It's perfectly reasonable to. I will put you in the Ultimate challengers list when I update, and just cut it off at Sinnoh. That way your recognized, but you can always go back and finish Unova if you ever decide to finish the Challenge!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Don't worry man, I don't blame you for hating Unova. It's perfectly reasonable to. I will put you in the Ultimate challengers list when I update, and just cut it off at Sinnoh. That way your recognized, but you can always go back and finish Unova if you ever decide to finish the Challenge!
Haha, sorry, just deleted my post because I remembered I probably won't have the time for this challenge. I thought it would be better to repost that later if I'm able to squeeze this in my time somehow, and if I got around to doing it. It was probably a bad idea posting when I didn't have my mind set on doing the challenge right now anyway.

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
Just a quick update, I forgot to update that I finished the Emerald portion of my Mono-Electric challenge about 2 weeks ago, I got caught up with Christmas so I never posted.
Here's my final Team Stats:

emesprani310.gif

C.Viper Lv.71 Female
Ability: Static

Moves:
Spark
Bite
Thunder
Iron Tail

emesprani312.gif

Negative Lv.69 Male
Ability: Minus

Moves:
Spark
Thunder
Secret Power
Thunder Wave

emesprani101.gif

Speed Ball Lv.70
Ability: Soundproof

Moves:
Spark
Thunder
Mirror Coat
Double Team

emesprani082.gif

Duke Nukem Lv.72
Ability: Sturdy

Moves:
Spark
Supersonic
Tri Attack
Thunder

emesprani026.gif

Gonzales Lv.73 Male
Ability: Static

Moves:
Thunderbolt
Dig
Brick Break
Hyper Beam

emesprani171.gif

Lure Lv.70 Female
Ability: Volt Absorb

Moves:
Confuse Ray
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Surf

Alright, that wraps up Emerald, now it's on to Platinum.

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
  • After beating Wake I chased after the Galactic Grunt and got the Secretpotion from Cynthia, did all the stuff in Celestic Town and got surf.
  • I then flew to Sandgem Town and surfed to route 221 where I caught Not A Tree the Sudowoodo, which I replaced the Onix I had with.
  • I grinded Not A Tree a few levels to get her up to the rest of my team and also grinded the last 2 levels out to make Tank #3 evolve into a Rhydon, FINALLY!
  • I then went to the move tutor to teach Not A Tree ice punch and Tank #3 Fire Punch, then I went to the move relearner and taught Not A Tree Wood Hammer.
  • I surfed over to Canalave and beat my rival, got HM 4 from Riley on Iron Island and finally took on Byron. Beat him pretty easily, Jude's Earthquake and Tank #3's Fire Punch and Hammer Arm, he never stood a chance.
  • Well now I got 6 badges and I saved the game before talking to my rival outside the library to play another day.

Video:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
UPDATE #2

-Kicked Surge's butt with Apple! ;D
-Ran over to the Rock tunnel to catch a Machop (Clay) to add to my team!!
-Went to Celadon and beat Erika.
-Went to the Game Corner to clean out Team Rocket.
-Headed over to Saffron to take on the Fighting Gym and obtained a Hitmonchan (Baxter).
-Went to Fuchsia and got the Good Rod. Then went the the guy's backyard to catch a Poliwag (Guppie)!!
- Trained him up on the Bike Path and the trainers in the surrounding area.
-About to take on Koga!!

My mini-journal up there is really vague and not too interesting ^-^;. But so much has happened since my last update and I was just trying to hit the highlights. Oh and I forgot to say that I also got the Charmander outside of Cerulean for my HM Slave. His name is M. I was going to name him Match but I hit the wrong button and his name submitted before I was done. ): Oh well!

Spr_1y_062.png

Poliwrath (Guppie) - Lvl. 32

-Bubble
-Hypnosis
-Water Gun
-Doubleslap

Spr_1y_107.png

Hitmonchan (Baxter) - Lvl. 42

-Comet Punch
-Agility
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch

Spr_1y_057.png

Primeape (Apple) - Lvl. 43

-Seismic Toss
-Focus Energy
-Low Kick
-Karate Chop

Spr_1y_067.png

Machoke (Clay) - Lvl. 42

-Karate Chop
-Low Kick
-Leer
-Focus Energy

Last edited:

Umbreon3055

Umbreon Catcher
Years
  • Seen May 5, 2013
Question:
Can I do two challenges at once? I was thinking as I am nearing the end of the unova part of my ground monotype and about to go into sinnoh it might be a good time to start another one. So I will have two running at the same time. Is that possible?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Question:
Can I do two challenges at once? I was thinking as I am nearing the end of the unova part of my ground monotype and about to go into sinnoh it might be a good time to start another one. So I will have two running at the same time. Is that possible?

Yes you may. I'm about to start a water monotype myself as soon as my copy of blue version comes in!

Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2014
So I'm at Victory Road in Blue now (I love being able to play at 5x speed :D) Last two gyms were really easy, water type is working well so far. I have my full team and I'm really pleased with the coverage I've got, a few of these will definitely be appeared thoughout my ultimate challenge :D

Team as of entering VR:

Steve the Gyarados: Lv 43
Bob the Blastoise: Lv 42
Len the Vaporeon: Lv 42
Pete the Starmie: Lv 42
Gerald the Lapras: Lv 41
Barbara the Seaking: Lv 41

I'm totally hooked on this, hopefully Water will be the first of many :P

Matty Mayhem

Matty :3
Years
Username: Matty Mayhem
Type: Dark
Challenge: Single
Game: Pokemon Emerald

Absol (Dark)
Cacturne (Dark/Grass)
Sharpedo (Dark/Water)
Houndoom (Dark/Fire)
Murkrow (Dark/Flying)
Sableye (Dark/Ghost)

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Username: HaiImNate
Type: Fire
Challenge: Single
Game(s): SoulSilver

If I decide to change from single to ultimate, may I do that later on?
Wish me luck! :D

Umbreon3055

Umbreon Catcher
Years
  • Seen May 5, 2013
Good luck HaiImNate!!

FINALLY I BEAT ALDER!!. He beat me about three times but then we were
too good for him

Team Quake:

Excadrill (Toshiba) Lv. 75
Rock slide
Swords dance
Shadow claw
Earthquake

Seismitoad (Marinus) Lv. 73
Grass knot
Rain dance
Surf
Sludge bomb

Krookodile (Irwin) Lv. 75
Outrage
Crunch
Low sweep
Earthquake

Stunfisk (Bacon) Lv. 73
Mud bomb
Thunderbolt
Sludge bomb
Scald

Golurk (Colossus) Lv. 73
Shadow punch
Earthquake
Focus punch
Meaga punch

Marowak (Scapula) Lv. 72
Stone edge
Swords dance
Aerial ace
Bonemerang

My MVP for the first leg of this challenge is Irwin, my Krookodile. I can easil say that this is the best pokemon I have ever owned. With his great attack and speed, puls his ability, moxie, yeah he was awesome

Next is platinum! Super exited about this, it will be the first time my team will have contained a gastrodon of garchomp

But I wanted to add another challenge, so here we go

Username: Umbreon3055
Challenge 1: Ground
Ultimate. Games: Blue, SS, E, Pt, Black
Completed: V
Challenge 2: Bug
Ultimate. Games: B,SS,E,Pt,W2
Completed: 0

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
So Pinsir is pretty much Arceus's gift to Monotype players. Dig and Rock Slide made Blaine easy as cake! :)

-Challenged Rival again, failed
-Explored Safari Zone
-Got HM03
-Gave Gold Teeth to Warden
-Got HM04
-Moved strangely placed boulder in the Warden's house, and found a Rare Candy
-Realized I had 3 Rare Candies, so I pumped them into Pinsir
-Challenged Rival a third time
-Defeated Rival
-Challenged Giovanni
-Defeated Giovanni
-Cleared Saffron Gym
-Challenged Sabrina
-Defeated Sabrina (Yay Twineedle!)
-Cleared Route 19
-Cleared Route 20
-Passed through Seafoam Islands
-Killed Articuno
-Arrived at Cinnabar Island
-Cleared Route 21
-Cleared Pokemon Mansion
-Cleared Cinnabar Gym
-Challenged Blaine
-Almost lost to Blaine, but pulled it together at the last moment (thank you Dig and Rock Slide on Pinsir)

Team:
Spoiler:

@HaiImNate yes you can switch from a single to an ultimate at any time.

Last edited:
Years
UPDATE #3

I LIED.
-Defeated Sabrina FIRST.
-Went back to Koga and slayed him next. ;)
-Went to the Safari Zone and got the Gold Teeth (ewwie).
-Got Strength from the Warden.
-Surfed down to Cinnibar Island.
-Wandered around the Pokemon Mansion for a bit and got the key for the gym.
-Killed Blaine with Guppie. (Hooray for him being half water! ^-^)
-Went straight to Viridian and creamed Giovanni. (Also with Guppie. :3)
-Made it through the checkpoints before Victory Road.
-Currently trying to find my way out of Victory Road. D:

My team probably needs to do more training... I wonder how I'll fair against the Elite Four with my team.

Spr_1y_062.png

Poliwrath (Guppie) - Lvl. 53
-Mega Punch
-Hypnosis
-Surf
-Body Slam

Spr_1y_107.png

Hitmonchan (Baxter) - Lvl. 48
-Mega Punch
-Thunderpunch
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch

Spr_1y_057.png

Primeape (Apple) - Lvl. 49
-Dig
-Screech
-Low Kick
-Karate Chop

Spr_1y_067.png

Machoke (Clay) - Lvl. 50
-Karate Chop
-Low Kick
-Seismic Toss
-Strength

Years
So I've decided to do a Poison Monotype run, most likely will be an Ultimate. Here's my sign up:

Name: mamoswineftw
Games: Red, Silver, Sapphire, Diamond, Black 2
Type: Poison

- Started Red, chose Bronto the Bulbasaur as a starter
- Did Oak's Parcel stuff
- Caught a Nidoran male, named Rex
- Went through Viridian Forest, defeated Brock without healing (forgot haha)
- Fought all the trainers leading up to Mt moon, grinded a bit to get both Rex and bronto to level 17 (both evolved)

Would've played futher but had to cook dinner, then went to bed.

Planned team will be Venusaur, Nidoking, Tentacrual and one of Arbok/Weezing/Muk/Gengar

Night.

PS: Screenies will accompany later posts

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Normal monotype
Spoiler:

Bug monotype
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back