• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

zachlim98

Half-way mark Scripter
Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2016
Erm, could u maybe explain the world map editor inbuilt into advance map? I cant seem to access it...

Years
I want to swap events with trainers/events/signposts/etc. How do I do that? Like changing Youngster Calvin to Youngster Joey or make the Weedle man appear in Viridian Forest? An example of this is in Flora Sky where you can battle Psychic Edward in Route B. How do you do that?

Years
My question isn't really answered (and for all I know, it could just be a glitch), but I placed a warp into a building, and it works totally fine besides it warping me to a random tile inside the building and, once exiting, on the route. Perhaps someone knows the answer? :)

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2019
I need some help
1) I have a warp in stairs,When i m going up it's ok.. but when i m going down,it teleporting me in a table :P
2)How can i add a ship,and make it going me in other town ?I tried with person event,but when i loading the rom it going in other place (over some trees :P)
3)I need a lot help with tilesets ... I can work with the 0 0 (the "basic" tileset),but i don't know how to change to other (for example to the tileset with the bridges)

I m waiting answers :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
I'm a relative newbie at this sort of thing, and am struggling to understand all the movement types. Things like 0, 1, 4, 10, C and D are easy enough to understand (except where a few D tiles are in the middle of a bunch of 1 tiles), but I'm getting rather a lot of 5s and not a few 14s, and even a couple of 11s here and there. Do those actually mean anything? Also, bridges are 3C tiles over land, is there a different code for when they're over water?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I'm a relative newbie at this sort of thing, and am struggling to understand all the movement types. Things like 0, 1, 4, 10, C and D are easy enough to understand (except where a few D tiles are in the middle of a bunch of 1 tiles), but I'm getting rather a lot of 5s and not a few 14s, and even a couple of 11s here and there. Do those actually mean anything? Also, bridges are 3C tiles over land, is there a different code for when they're over water?

The game uses some weird movement permissions sometimes. The only ones you really need are 0, 1, 4, C, and 3C for bridges (and possibly 14 if you're creating multiple levels). I'm guessing the programmers used some development tool to make the maps which somehow creates weird movement permission data. And in response to the bridge question, you can use 3C for bridges over water and land.

ortiz

Welcome
Years
What you probably haven't done is changed where the warp leads to. what you need to do is:
1. Highlight events, click on the warp
2. on the right, there is a box next to the text 'map bank', enter the first number next to your caves name (eg. Vermillion City is 3.5, the 3 is the map bank.)
3. Below, there is a box nect to the word 'Map', this is the second number next to your caves name (eg. Vermillion City is 3.5, the 5 is the Map)
4. The 'to warp no.' above refers to the warp you wish to connect to. To find out what this is, go to your cave and highlight your exit, at the top it will say 'No.', the number in the box next to this is the number you must enter in the 'to warp no.' in your entrance warp.
5. Do the same thing with the other warp, only finding the map and bank of the entrance location

hope that helped.

Now, my problem is that, when i changed the pokemon centre/mart tileset with paint, when i loaded it it turned into blank green. i tried it with the tree tiles and it done the same. Please tell me what caused it to happen and how i can fix it. In case my description wasn't clear, an image of what happened is below.

EDIT: I have solved the problem myself, it was related to the Pallete
Wow how did you do that I had the same problem with that.

Years
  • Seen Jul 25, 2011
I don't know if this has been answered yet, but how to I use the D/P/Pt sprites that are in the tutorial? All i seem to have is the gba ones.

Hackmon

Complete Yognaut
Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2011
How do you create your own map name and how do you make your map appear in the in-game map?

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
In case no one's posted this, I believe that trees are Headbutt Trees, like the ones found in Johto. Sorry if someone has posted this before.

You have a great guide, by the way! This'll help me and my friend set up a hack based on my region, the Sentou Region. PM me for the details regarding it.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
In case no one's posted this, I believe that trees are Headbutt Trees, like the ones found in Johto. Sorry if someone has posted this before.

You have a great guide, by the way! This'll help me and my friend set up a hack based on my region, the Sentou Region. PM me for the details regarding it.

Actually, I think Headbutt was meant to be Rock Smash, as the option for Headbutt isn't in the newer Advance Map, but Rock Smash is.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
you can just not put any warps in it. just don't link it.
this is for people who want to "delete" maps.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
you can just not put any warps in it. just don't link it.
this is for people who want to "delete" maps.
Which is all well and good if your goal is to simply make a map inaccessible. If, on the other hand, you want to delete the map so that you can use the location it used to occupy as additional free space...

Back