• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many Pokemon in a Dex

PoCitMonster

DotDotDot
Years
How many Pokemon should be in a Regional Dex. I just got done making mine and I made every route have new Pokemon but it feels like there might be to many and I'm also sad because I left out some Pokemon I really like out.

Also how many Pokemon should there be per route because I've bean having 4 -5 and that also seems like to many

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Personally my favorite dexes were the 200ish ones, such as Gen.2 and Gen.3's. I thought that once they started getting into 300's with BW2 and beyond, it became too much to try and collect everything on every route.

Too many pokemon in each area takes away from that area's memorability too. Take the pokemon Ralts for example. Part of the reason it's so iconic is it was a notably rare pokemon on a route with otherwise very few common options. Definitely wouldn't have that same effect if there were 7-8 different encounters on it like in XY.

Last edited:

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
I guess it depends from how you think the region should be like...
You could take a look at the in-game locations of each 'mon and decree whether they fit in the region or not.

For instance, pidoves are found solely in Unova despite they're
common in cities according to the dex, which might imply
that line is found in a theorical landmass Unova is attached to.
Tentacools appear in evry single core region (except Unova) and
the Oblivia archipelago, so they would be very likely in the dex.

An other way would be basing the dex off the natural variety of the location/s the region is
based off, however I'm sure it wouldn't quite work because, you see, the real world counter-parts (that can also be multiple)
of certain 'mons don't appear in the real world counterparts of said regions.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2021
200-250 is a good ballpark. You want to be sure that you have a good variety of Pokemon, weak and strong, and that you're introducing them in the right order. It can be disappointing to leave some out, but forcing yourself to work within limitations leads to looking at your choices more critically and giving better results.

As for individual routes, my strategy is to have 4-5 Pokemon per route, but only introduce new Pokemon one or two at a time. Unless it's a whole new, vastly different area, having your player slow down to catch five new Pokemon on every single route will get tiresome. Having a few common Pokemon that appear all over a section of a map will make the world feel more continuous and familiar.

Alexherobrine45

MOFPC - Master Of Fake Pokémon Creation
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 26, 2018
So you want my recommendations huh? Well, I say 200-250 total, 300 at the most for the full regional Dex. My region of Zantaru currently has 256 Pokémon in it, including Mythicals, and won't have many more. 303 like BW2 and SM is a bit much, and XY's 453 is ridiculous. 250 is a nice amount and you can get a lot done, my region has ~160 fake Pokémon and still has room for some original mons too. Really it depends on the size of your game's region - if you have many routes or bigger routes, like Sun and Moon, then maybe a Dex of 300ish makes sense. If you have a smaller region, like Kanto pre-GSCHGSS or Sinnoh, then maybe even a Dex of 250 seems large, let alone Kalos (the smallest region physically and additions-of-Pokémon-ly, how ironic)'s 450.

And you're concerned about leaving some of your favorite mons out? Don't be, it SHOULD BE THAT WAY. In fact, it almost NEEDS to be that way. You WANT to leave some of your favorite mons out - if you like them, chances are a lot of others will too. People should be forced out of their comfort zone and be forced to pick Pokémon they don't know about or necessarily like - if you really want all your favorites, you might as well add all 802 Pokémon from Bulbasaur to Marshadow like my friend Alex. Though in his game, the POINT is that they all exist, but whatever. If you want to use them in playtesting, that's what debug mode's for, amirite? Proper playtesting should be played like the game would by a non-dev, but still.

Amount of Pokémon per route, huh? Well, longer routes you can get away with more, but typically I try to have four Pokémon per route per encounter method, maybe five. And introducing only one or two most of the time would be good, particularly for the early routes. Two or three for fishing/surfing on the routes that have them, and if you do, almost NO variation across the region, because you don't have time for that. And the Pokémon on a route usually should fit a theme, like how in Zantaru, one of my routes is devoted to Fairy-type Pokémon. And that's true even with longer routes that may have six or even seven Pokémon on them, and in fact the aforementioned Fairy-type route has three different Fairy-type evolutionary lines accounted for, and Eevee and a couple others on top of it, just in a map section of tall grass, despite Route 14 being one of the longest routes in the game. It could get away with having ten or eleven lines in just the tall grass, like Kalos, but doesn't because why would it? Longer routes can have more per encounter method by splitting the route into multiple parts, like literally every single area of Sun and Moon does. It doesn't even have to be through a transition or something - Alola's Route 1, I think the longest route outside of Vast Poni Canyon, the one that never ends, has about four different tall grass encounter sets, and yet no transitions are present, or anything else to indicate a change in encounters. Just have a RPGMXP map break or something, it's alright.

A region of about 25 routes of an average of medium size, like Zantaru, should be able to house between 200 and 250 Pokémon easily, even with only three to seven lines per route. My suggestion is, assume each route has 15 Pokémon of the Dex accounted for. Multiply by the amount of routes, and you get the maximum size of the regional Dex. Then, put about five lines per route and you should be good to go! My route-based biggest advice is NOT to take Santalune Forest's nine lines and like, 25 Pokémon as an indication of your routes by ANY means whatsoever. Happy gamemaking!

-Alexherobrine45/SuperLunala

Alexherobrine45

MOFPC - Master Of Fake Pokémon Creation
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 26, 2018
Caves are the same as routes, they just have a cave encounter instead of (or maybe on top of? Ooh, that's a thought) tall grass. So the same rules apply. About five or six Pokémon for the cave encounters, maybe have a bit more variety if encounters are more common, but as it stands a cave encounter is 40% as likely as a tall grass one, and more if you choose. Though maybe you'll focus mostly on Ground, Rock, and Steel-types, it's not totally necessary: Maybe a volcanic cave will have mostly Fire-types. An arctic cavern will probably have mostly Ice-types. Again, you could split it into sections (here, it's even easier because multiple floors).

As for the Safari Zone, maybe save some of the rarest Pokémon for that if you have it. About nine encounterable evolutionary lines should be good, and technically you could still split it into sections (e.g. if I have a safari zone, it'll probably have a Fire section, a Water section, and a Grass section) with more normal amounts of Pokémon per route, but adding up to a large amount. These Pokémon should either be extremely rare or impossible to find otherwise (maybe starters are catchable here so that technically you could get all three starters? Or even another Gen's starters?!). Think: Gen 1's Chansey was only found in the Safari Zone. It isn't necessary to blend routes here, it's a manmade conservation area in the first place.

Back