The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #22576    
Old September 16th, 2012 (8:28 AM).
itman itman is offline
Back to ROM hacking. :D
     
    Join Date: May 2007
    Age: 24
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 100
    For JPAN's OW switch, a warp is needed to make the switch actually happen. I made a level script at the beginning of the game (right after the intro ends) and in it, I set the variable to make the switch, and then a warp which was made to warp you to the same exact spot on the same map, as a way of "resetting it". The idea was this was supposed to happen before the screen showed, like how the player looks up in the original game as soon as the map shows up.

    Instead, the screen showed, then it faded in and out (the warp happened after the screen loaded) and the OW didn't switch. can anyone shed some light on this, if there's a reason it didn't work or something I can do differently?
      #22577    
    Old September 16th, 2012 (8:30 AM).
    Spherical Ice's Avatar
    Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is offline
     
    Join Date: Nov 2007
    Location: Bristol, UK
    Age: 20
    Posts: 5,235
    Let's say Pikachu evolves into Raichu at Level 5. At Level 5, Pikachu learns Move A, and at Level 5, Raichu learns Move B. When Pikachu levels up, it tries to learn Move A. Then, after the battle ends/you've used the Rare Candy, Pikachu evolves into Raichu, and Raichu tries to learn Move B.
    __________________
      #22578    
    Old September 16th, 2012 (1:53 PM).
    Chaos Rush's Avatar
    Chaos Rush Chaos Rush is offline
       
      Join Date: May 2007
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 1,312
      Does anyone know a simple ASM routine to change the value of an offset of your choice within the RAM?

      For instance, let's say I wanted to change the value at 0x02023BE4. How would I go about doing that?
      __________________
        #22579    
      Old September 16th, 2012 (2:47 PM).
      Alignment's Avatar
      Alignment Alignment is offline
      Revered with the stars
         
        Join Date: Mar 2010
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Lonely
        Posts: 308
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
        Does anyone know a simple ASM routine to change the value of an offset of your choice within the RAM?

        For instance, let's say I wanted to change the value at 0x02023BE4. How would I go about doing that?
        I'm not very certain, but what you do is you find out how the value was obtained then you can branch the routine and make your own subroutine to modify the outcome.

        I'm not very sure, but I think that's the way you do it
          #22580    
        Old September 17th, 2012 (2:06 AM).
        JerichoMadness's Avatar
        JerichoMadness JerichoMadness is offline
        He's back. And he's mad! O...o
           
          Join Date: Apr 2012
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 7
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by JerichoMadness View Post
          G'Day people, n00b here.

          I'm getting pretty annoyed.
          Started XSE tutorials yesterday, all I want to do is insert a few things in a FR Rom in my own room at the start who talk to me. So far, so good.
          If I'm unlucky and insert a new script in Advance Map, the whole room is sometimes "broken". It happens from time to time, scripts are correct.
          => My new script can't be seen, all other warps/scripts that were there before don't work anymore (e.g. the PC/TV, stair warp). Even if I delete the new event that make all that happen.

          That again means I can rewrite the rom over again.

          What the hell am I doing wrong? o...o
          I'd like to re-roll my problem.

          Till now I've tried about 10 times to insert simple small events in my starter room. I even managed to set up 3 working scripts in my room. I set up a fourth one and the room was broken (Black screen).
          I tried setting things up in the kitchen where Mum is, same thing happened. I've used different ROMs (Another FR Rom/Ruby Rom), the same thing always happens.
          Using Advance Map 1.92, XSE 1.1 and FSF. Can anyone maybe send me a message with thoughts or try to help me out in any way? I'm tending to give up on this _._
            #22581    
          Old September 17th, 2012 (4:14 AM).
          sonic1's Avatar
          sonic1 sonic1 is offline
          ASM is my life now...
             
            Join Date: May 2008
            Location: Portugal
            Age: 23
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Timid
            Posts: 79
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
            Does anyone know a simple ASM routine to change the value of an offset of your choice within the RAM?

            For instance, let's say I wanted to change the value at 0x02023BE4. How would I go about doing that?
            What do you mean actually? Like an WriteByteToOffset?
            Or a value that changes constantly?

            If the first one, it's as simple as this:

            Code:
            .align 2
            .thumb
            
            push {r0-r1,lr}
            ldr r0, =0xOFFSET
            ldr r1, =0xValue
            str r1, [r0]
            pop {r0-r1, lr}
            You must change That STR to STRB if the value is only 1 byte or to STRH if it's 2 bytes. Otherwise, it's 4 bytes and you leave it like it is.

            ~Sonic1
            __________________
            This signature has been disabled.
            over 350px high
            Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

            You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

            Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
              #22582    
            Old September 17th, 2012 (8:35 AM). Edited September 17th, 2012 by Rasenshurikenbum.
            Rasenshurikenbum's Avatar
            Rasenshurikenbum Rasenshurikenbum is offline
            ASM is very cool!
               
              Join Date: Apr 2011
              Location: Poland
              Age: 22
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Relaxed
              Posts: 70
              Hey guys,
              I got problem with a trip script...
              Spoiler:

              (...)
              setvar 0x5001 0x1
              fadescreendelay 0x3 0x9
              pause 0x4A
              playsong 0x17A 0x1
              fadescreendelay 0x2 0x9
              msgbox @test 0x6

              @test
              = Some text...


              When the fadescreen comes to normal the msgbox doesn't appear...
              What is wrong in this script?

              PS: I tried to delete the "pause 0x4A" and it works but I NEED this pause in script.
              Maybe there is something instead of pause command?

              Please help me!
              __________________
              Check out my tutorials:Next tutorials coming soon!
                #22583    
              Old September 17th, 2012 (9:07 AM).
              surfer treecko surfer treecko is offline
              help, how do I...?
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2012
                Posts: 21
                I'm trying repointing the cries of various Pokemon with Cry Pointer Repointer, however finding the pointers for the cries of Hoenn Pokemon is proving to be difficult as there doesn't seem to be any order to them.

                For example, I'm trying to find Zigzagoon's cry. Typing in the PokeID 288 (zigzagoon's index number) gives me Nuzleaf's cry, 289 (testing to see if evolutions follow one another) gives my Shiftry's cry, 263 (Zigzagoon's national dex number) gives me what I think is Jirachi's cry, and 255 gives me Electrike's cry. It doesn't seem to follow any pattern at all...

                I'm editing Fire Red btw.
                  #22584    
                Old September 17th, 2012 (10:02 AM).
                Rasenshurikenbum's Avatar
                Rasenshurikenbum Rasenshurikenbum is offline
                ASM is very cool!
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2011
                  Location: Poland
                  Age: 22
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Relaxed
                  Posts: 70
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by surfer treecko View Post
                  I'm trying repointing the cries of various Pokemon with Cry Pointer Repointer, however finding the pointers for the cries of Hoenn Pokemon is proving to be difficult as there doesn't seem to be any order to them.

                  For example, I'm trying to find Zigzagoon's cry. Typing in the PokeID 288 (zigzagoon's index number) gives me Nuzleaf's cry, 289 (testing to see if evolutions follow one another) gives my Shiftry's cry, 263 (Zigzagoon's national dex number) gives me what I think is Jirachi's cry, and 255 gives me Electrike's cry. It doesn't seem to follow any pattern at all...

                  I'm editing Fire Red btw.
                  The best idea would be to use PokeCry v1.0 (GUI) and Hex Editor. In PokeCry you have CORRECT order (index numbers). Get the offset, reverse it, find in Hex Editor and change to your new offset (of course put there reversed new one). It worked for me in FireRed (and Ruby too :D).
                  __________________
                  Check out my tutorials:Next tutorials coming soon!
                    #22585    
                  Old September 17th, 2012 (10:17 AM).
                  Dr.Razor's Avatar
                  Dr.Razor Dr.Razor is offline
                  Yellow Remaker
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2007
                    Location: Switzerland
                    Posts: 101
                    So, I'm getting back into the ds romhacking and I have several questions :
                    1) How can I find Hex adresses of palettes in pokemon diamond ? I cannot find the values of palettes in DeSmume, like I used to do in VBA.
                    2) Can I have to edit nsbmd files without having to do it manually? It's really a pain in ths a**. I was able to make a tree in the middle of a town, but not further more.
                    3) Polygons are associated with textures and palettes. I assume these textures are 2D textures editable with crytale tile or Tile molester. Is there anyway to edit them? Or do someone know where those datas are stored?
                    For example, can I copy the texture of trees in HG/SS and palettes and paste them into pokemon diamond?

                    Thanks for your answers =)
                    __________________

                    http://docrazor.blogspot.com/
                      #22586    
                    Old September 17th, 2012 (3:42 PM).
                    MagicalTrevor's Avatar
                    MagicalTrevor MagicalTrevor is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Apr 2012
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 4
                      I'm using Nameless Sprite Editor to edit the sprites for Oak, Red, and Blue in the Fire Red intro speech. However, their sprites start off greyscale, and when I switch greyscale off, their sprites have no pallet. Every time I edit one, greyscale or not, when I get back into the game, the sprite has extremely distorted colors. Is their anyway I can edit these without messing up the colors, or is there a simpler way to edit the sprites without NSE?
                        #22587    
                      Old September 17th, 2012 (5:42 PM).
                      Inkblots's Avatar
                      Inkblots Inkblots is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Sep 2012
                        Location: Canada
                        Age: 28
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Calm
                        Posts: 263
                        I've searched as much as I can, but can't find an answer so I apologize if this has been answered already (sorry guys, but I'm not reading through 900 pages...)

                        I'm just learning, so doing some very simple hacks to Ruby using Advance Map and PKSV (on a Mac, using WINE). I've successfully added and removed wild pokemon, and added a person event, but that's where I ran into trouble. I could not get just a simple "hello" script to work for the life of me even after fiddling around for an hour and reading through half a dozen different tutorials, but now I'm thinking that the problem is with Advance Map instead of my script. Within advance map, I can get the correct script to link with the sprite, and the sprite shows up where I put it, but... any updates I've made to the sprite since putting it in there (changing the image, changing the position, even deleting it) don't show up in the ROM when I save the new map, which is, I think, why the script isn't working either. Does anybody know what's going on?
                          #22588    
                        Old September 17th, 2012 (9:55 PM).
                        destinedjagold's Avatar
                        destinedjagold destinedjagold is offline
                        Oh Hai Thar~
                         
                        Join Date: May 2007
                        Location: Philippines
                        Age: 28
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Careful
                        Posts: 8,589
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
                        I've searched as much as I can, but can't find an answer so I apologize if this has been answered already (sorry guys, but I'm not reading through 900 pages...)

                        I'm just learning, so doing some very simple hacks to Ruby using Advance Map and PKSV (on a Mac, using WINE). I've successfully added and removed wild pokemon, and added a person event, but that's where I ran into trouble. I could not get just a simple "hello" script to work for the life of me even after fiddling around for an hour and reading through half a dozen different tutorials, but now I'm thinking that the problem is with Advance Map instead of my script. Within advance map, I can get the correct script to link with the sprite, and the sprite shows up where I put it, but... any updates I've made to the sprite since putting it in there (changing the image, changing the position, even deleting it) don't show up in the ROM when I save the new map, which is, I think, why the script isn't working either. Does anybody know what's going on?
                        During the game, you probably need to go away from the said map in order for the changes to take effect.
                        Example, you added an NPC outside Pallet Town, and you saved outside the said town as well. In order for the changes to happen, restart the game with your emulator, head inside a house, and head out for the map to be completely refreshed.

                        But if it still does not work, then maybe you are assigning the wrong offset to the NPC, or the NPC is affected by the map's level script.
                        If still not working, then I have no clue about why that is happening. :\
                        __________________

                          #22589    
                        Old September 18th, 2012 (12:16 AM).
                        PokemonMasters's Avatar
                        PokemonMasters PokemonMasters is offline
                        Always Remember Forever&After
                           
                          Join Date: Jun 2012
                          Location: Nuvema Town, Unova
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Calm
                          Posts: 403
                          1. if i were to add rock climb to a ruby rom do i only need the script? or do i need to do like hex editing?
                          2.where can i find 4th and 5th generation cries in .wav format?
                          3. How do i make a person give you the national dex?
                          __________________

                          +ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
                            #22590    
                          Old September 18th, 2012 (4:43 AM). Edited September 18th, 2012 by Inkblots.
                          Inkblots's Avatar
                          Inkblots Inkblots is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Sep 2012
                            Location: Canada
                            Age: 28
                            Gender: Female
                            Nature: Calm
                            Posts: 263
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post


                            During the game, you probably need to go away from the said map in order for the changes to take effect.
                            Example, you added an NPC outside Pallet Town, and you saved outside the said town as well. In order for the changes to happen, restart the game with your emulator, head inside a house, and head out for the map to be completely refreshed.

                            But if it still does not work, then maybe you are assigning the wrong offset to the NPC, or the NPC is affected by the map's level script.
                            If still not working, then I have no clue about why that is happening. :\
                            Thanks! That fixed the problem in terms of the sprite updating. I'll be back after classes to see if I can get the script to work now :)

                            <update>

                            The scripts work now, hurrah! Thanks again :)

                            Okay, a couple more questions now that I've got simple scripts working:

                            I more or less understand the concept of flags, but is there some place I can find a list of unused flags in Ruby? PKSV only shows FR/LG. Or alternatively, is there a way that I can manually check to see if a flag is unused?

                            Also, how can I check to see if the player has a specific item/badge/pokemon?
                              #22591    
                            Old September 18th, 2012 (11:02 AM).
                            Rasenshurikenbum's Avatar
                            Rasenshurikenbum Rasenshurikenbum is offline
                            ASM is very cool!
                               
                              Join Date: Apr 2011
                              Location: Poland
                              Age: 22
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Relaxed
                              Posts: 70
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by PokemonMasters View Post
                              1. if i were to add rock climb to a ruby rom do i only need the script? or do i need to do like hex editing?
                              2.where can i find 4th and 5th generation cries in .wav format?
                              3. How do i make a person give you the national dex?
                              1. You need only a script (link here)
                              2. http://pokerealm.com/downloads/cries.zip
                              3. FireRed - special 0x16F
                              Emerald - special 0x1F3
                              Ruby - ?
                              __________________
                              Check out my tutorials:Next tutorials coming soon!
                                #22592    
                              Old September 18th, 2012 (11:07 PM).
                              Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
                              Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
                              Memento Mori
                               
                              Join Date: Jul 2008
                              Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
                              Age: 26
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Calm
                              Posts: 14,530
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Rasenshurikenbum View Post
                              Ruby - ?
                              writebytetooffset 0x2 0x2026B00
                              writebytetooffset 0x3 0x2026B01
                              writebytetooffset 0xDA 0x2024EBE
                              writebytetooffset 0x67 0x2026A5A
                              __________________
                              ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack.

                              Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                                #22593    
                              Old September 19th, 2012 (1:27 AM).
                              PokemonMasters's Avatar
                              PokemonMasters PokemonMasters is offline
                              Always Remember Forever&After
                                 
                                Join Date: Jun 2012
                                Location: Nuvema Town, Unova
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Calm
                                Posts: 403
                                which program is the best to import cries? im using a-cry but it just has a lot of problems :/
                                __________________

                                +ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
                                  #22594    
                                Old September 19th, 2012 (12:40 PM).
                                Morfium Morfium is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: May 2009
                                  Location: Somewhere Far Beyond
                                  Posts: 11
                                  I'm trying to import a new tileset to emerald. It works fine but the given palettes don't have fitting colors. I can not overwrite existing palettes because I wanted to extend emerald with kanto/jotho maps and want to preserver the original emerald.
                                  I saw that palette 7, 11 and 12 are all but black. Is it save to overwrite those with my own palettes or are they used for something else like 13-15 for textboxes and such?
                                    #22595    
                                  Old September 19th, 2012 (3:44 PM).
                                  PincherD's Avatar
                                  PincherD PincherD is offline
                                     
                                    Join Date: Aug 2012
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Posts: 4
                                    I've been trying to find a program, (or method) that edits the Pokemon's Ability, (like what each one does).

                                    Have any lying around here? XD
                                      #22596    
                                    Old September 20th, 2012 (2:07 AM).
                                    PokemonMasters's Avatar
                                    PokemonMasters PokemonMasters is offline
                                    Always Remember Forever&After
                                       
                                      Join Date: Jun 2012
                                      Location: Nuvema Town, Unova
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Calm
                                      Posts: 403
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by PincherD View Post
                                      I've been trying to find a program, (or method) that edits the Pokemon's Ability, (like what each one does).

                                      Have any lying around here? XD
                                      try using yape. (yet another pokemon editor
                                      __________________

                                      +ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
                                        #22597    
                                      Old September 20th, 2012 (2:52 AM).
                                      Aaron40's Avatar
                                      Aaron40 Aaron40 is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Sep 2009
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Posts: 551
                                        Hey,
                                        I have a R4i3DS but I can't get the 3DS roms to work, I have searched for a solution for hours and I haven't found anything
                                          #22598    
                                        Old September 20th, 2012 (3:37 AM).
                                        tajaros's Avatar
                                        tajaros tajaros is offline
                                        Hi I'm dawg
                                           
                                          Join Date: Apr 2012
                                          Location: Philippines
                                          Age: 19
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Timid
                                          Posts: 857
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by PokemonMasters View Post
                                          which program is the best to import cries? im using a-cry but it just has a lot of problems :/
                                          You can use PokecryGUI look up on old tut's on the Tutorial Forums, and maybe just do it manually cause, A-cry doesn't work that great to me... :)


                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by PincherD View Post
                                          I've been trying to find a program, (or method) that edits the Pokemon's Ability, (like what each one does).

                                          Have any lying around here? XD
                                          If you're talking about changing a Pokemon's ability use YAPE, but, if you're talking about editing one's effects then there's no such tool yet... :/
                                          __________________
                                            #22599    
                                          Old September 20th, 2012 (7:27 AM).
                                          Rasenshurikenbum's Avatar
                                          Rasenshurikenbum Rasenshurikenbum is offline
                                          ASM is very cool!
                                             
                                            Join Date: Apr 2011
                                            Location: Poland
                                            Age: 22
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Relaxed
                                            Posts: 70
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by Aaron40 View Post
                                            Hey,
                                            I have a R4i3DS but I can't get the 3DS roms to work, I have searched for a solution for hours and I haven't found anything
                                            For now there is NO flashcard or emulator that supports 3DS games. Crown3DS is trying to make the first one but they haven't succeeded yet.
                                            __________________
                                            Check out my tutorials:Next tutorials coming soon!
                                              #22600    
                                            Old September 20th, 2012 (7:34 AM).
                                            itman itman is offline
                                            Back to ROM hacking. :D
                                               
                                              Join Date: May 2007
                                              Age: 24
                                              Nature: Adamant
                                              Posts: 100
                                              Where is the attack effects table located?
                                              Closed Thread

                                              Quick Reply

                                              Join the conversation!

                                              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                              Create a PokéCommunity Account
                                              Thread Tools

                                              Posting Rules
                                              You may not post new threads
                                              You may not post replies
                                              You may not post attachments
                                              You may not edit your posts

                                              BB code is On
                                              Smilies are On
                                              [IMG] code is On
                                              HTML code is Off

                                              Forum Jump


                                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:54 AM.