• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
In battle, when selecting an attack some of the attack's types are still capitalized (fighting, electric) which turns out is even more annoying that when they were all capitalized :-)
I must have inadvertently decapitalized those when I shouldn't have. My mistake, I'll fix that soon!

Secondly, do any other pokemon hold sun stones besides sunkerns? I'm hoping to get one off an oddish. Thank you so much for your work.
Nope, only Sunkern hold them. Remember that Johto Pokémon still aren't accessible until after you beat the game, so it wouldn't matter if you got one from an Oddish or Gloom anyways. Plus having such an object available would make it so people are more likely to waste it before they can actually make use of it.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Version 3.6.2 is up.

I made a quick fix to the Decap patch to keep move types lettering consistent. Thanks to Legions for pointing it out for me!

Changelog:
Spoiler:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Version 3.7 Available

Spoiler:

Today marks a new era: The hack now has its own title screen! And two title changes! Check the spoiler above (or the OP) for the new screen! The exterior name of the hack is now Pokémon Throwback. The in-game name is now simply Pokémon (or Pokémon: Pocket Monsters, if you prefer that) when using the Catch 'em All patch or the complete hack. Enjoy!

Changelog:
Spoiler:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Sorry for the double post, but could you perhaps change the Venusaur sprite? 'cause FireRed has one of the ugliest Venusaur sprites in existence.
Sorry, do you mean Venusaur's title screen sprite, or Venusaur's battle sprites? I don't plan to change individual battle sprites unless there is an obvious error with them.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Announcement

After some thought, I decided to turn the hack in a new direction. You know how pretty much every FireRed hack is ONLY for FireRed? Well, now I'm making an effort to break that mold. Starting today, parts of Pokémon Throwback will be available for LeafGreen! As of right now, the GB Player and Wardrobe patches are available for patching to BPGE v1.0. I hope to bring the rest of the hack over in time.

For those of you who chose LeafGreen over FireRed at release, here's hoping you feel more at home now!

Roger Davis

Goofball
Years
Version 3.7 Available

Spoiler:

Today marks a new era: The hack now has its own title screen! And two title changes! Check the spoiler above (or the OP) for the new screen! The exterior name of the hack is now Pokémon Throwback. The in-game name is now simply Pokémon (or Pokémon: Pocket Monsters, if you prefer that) when using the Catch 'em All patch or the complete hack. Enjoy!

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Awesome! Can't wait to try it out!

Just curious, have you thought of making TMs reusable like they are from Generation 5 onward? Or would that be a complex procedure?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Awesome! Can't wait to try it out!

Just curious, have you thought of making TMs reusable like they are from Generation 5 onward? Or would that be a complex procedure?
Oh trust me, reusable TMs is something I've wanted to have in this since I first added the Extras patch to the hack. There are easy ways to do it in FR/LG, but they're not full-featured in such a way that their implementation doesn't look unpolished.

One method involves a byte change that makes it so TMs aren't removed from your Bag/TM Case after use. However, the item quantity still appears. Not only that, but it is still sellable and tradeable across games. The intention is for there to be one of each TM in the game, just like the later games.

The other method is to change the "unknown" byte for each TM to the same value used for HMs. For Emerald this works fine, but in FR/LG it sticks an HM symbol on top of each TM. Now the TMs can't be sold or traded and don't display a quantity, but the inaccurate display of the HM symbol across every teachable move is an eyesore.

Then comes two problems regardless of which method is used. First: making certain TMs still purchasable in Poké Marts (specifically the Celadon Dept. Store), but not sellable. I'm not sure if there's a way to do that off the top of my head, but I don't think there is. Second: making it so TMs no longer restore PP. In Gens 1-4, TMs fill PP to the max when used. If you can use them an unlimited number of times, you'll suddenly have a permanent makeshift Ether/Elixir, which are supposed to be limited in quantity in the games. Once enough TMs are had, this can potentially be seen as game-breaking, particularly against the Elite Four. It could still be done with one-use TMs thanks to purchasable TMs, but it is highly infeasible due to high prices and move compatibility for Pokémon.

If such a way is found that alleviates all these issues, I'll add it to the hack. I want to make sure that my implementation of unlimited TM usage is just right from the start.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Was gonna say, if you have an issue with Espeon/Umbreon evolving, why not implement the Day Night System hack to your hack?
As per the OP, the only issue with the Espeon/Umbreon evolutions is if you're playing the hack on real hardware (as in a GBA or a DS via the GBA slot). I do have DNS in my hack, but only the bare essentials to allow for time-based evolutions. So long as the game is played in an emulator with real-time support, those Eeveelutions should be fine. If an R/S/E-esque solution for time appears in the future, I'll likely switch to that.

Unless you said that in a sense of "Hey, I was gonna suggest this to you, but then I saw that that's what you actually did." Then OK. :)

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
Sorry to ask this, but I can't seem to get a few things through my head. Is this hack only present in Kanto, and the number of Pokemon found in this hack are the first 250 Pokemon? This really caught my eye, and I'm very interested in it.

EDIT: After downloading and re-reading (re-read over 3 times), I found my answers through the documents you provided. Now I have one more question: is there a physical/special split implemented in this game? I've played so many other hacks that have that included, so I was wondering if this one was different.

Last edited:
Years
As per the OP, the only issue with the Espeon/Umbreon evolutions is if you're playing the hack on real hardware (as in a GBA or a DS via the GBA slot). I do have DNS in my hack, but only the bare essentials to allow for time-based evolutions. So long as the game is played in an emulator with real-time support, those Eeveelutions should be fine. If an R/S/E-esque solution for time appears in the future, I'll likely switch to that.

Unless you said that in a sense of "Hey, I was gonna suggest this to you, but then I saw that that's what you actually did." Then OK. :)

Really you do have DNS? Huh, cuz I didn't see any changes between day and night. Cuz I use the Day Night Tool, which does work well btw on your hack, and its funny cuz I went to see if Eevee would evolve into Espeon during the day, but it ended up turning into an Umbreon instead....during the day. Even tried seeing if it would do it in the morning and still Umbreon.

I did back up the ROM before I implemented cuz I used Mastermind_X's Day Night Tool.

Going back to the ROM before I implemented, I tested to see if your DNS works and it does for Eevee but it still evolves into Umbreon. :\ Mind you its 2:53PM where I am when I tested it. XD Went to check YAPE 0.9 for Eevee's evolution line, and it does say it can evolve into Espeon during the day and Umbreon during the night.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
EDIT: After downloading and re-reading (re-read over 3 times), I found my answers through the documents you provided. Now I have one more question: is there a physical/special split implemented in this game? I've played so many other hacks that have that included, so I was wondering if this one was different.
As of right now, my hack does not have the Physical/Special split. This might change in the future depending on perspective and options available. You can always apply it yourself if you'd like, it's a painless procedure!

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
As of right now, my hack does not have the Physical/Special split. This might change in the future depending on perspective and options available. You can always apply it yourself if you'd like, it's a painless procedure!

If only I knew how to code >.<

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Version 3.7.1 Available

Stuff about TMs

You know what? Screw it. Infinite TMs for all! I use the former method that I mentioned. This way people trading in Pokémon holding TMs from other games to Throwback won't have issues. I hope this power isn't abused!

I've also made the Extras patch *mostly* compatible with LeafGreen. Unfortunately, the Gen 5 Repel system could not make the transition. Darthatron mentioned in the thread for his ported system that extra changes beyond pointer changes would be needed to use the system with other ROMs besides FireRed BPRE v1.0. If someone is able to make this available for LeafGreen, that would be amazing!

Also in this update: A move tutor update and fixes. Enjoy!

Changelog:
Spoiler:

If only I knew how to code >.<

Lucky for you, you don't need to know how to code for this! All you need to do is apply the patch from here to get the split. I also posted a patch around the end of that thread for editing move affinities. Just apply both patches for the whole thing. This won't work for LeafGreen.

Last edited:
Back