• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New: how to decide what to buy

Years
  • Age 72
  • Seen Feb 8, 2018
I'm new'ish to Pokemon.
How do I decide which booster box to begin buying?
And then collecting cards of that expansion, to start building decks.

I've bought a couple of decks from Battle Arena Decks, Rayquaza Vs Keldeo. And those have nice cards and good trainers.
So would it be best to just continue buying premade decks and begin collecting the trainers and then buying individual cards I'd want to make certain types of energy decks with? Maybe using online competitive decks as examples?
Or would it make sense to stick to one release/expansion and just buy booster boxes and begin collecting that way?

There's too many directions to go I've decided when I look at the individual cards of each expansion. Each has one or two great cards in each energy type and has a handful of good EX/GX cards. Seems cheaper to buy booster boxes and gamble on getting certain GX/EX's than putting out $25-$50 for each single card, you know?

Well totally confuselated on direction for this for now. Any suggestions would be heavily appreciated.
Thanks!!
Chuck

Years
I'm new'ish to Pokemon.
How do I decide which booster box to begin buying?
And then collecting cards of that expansion, to start building decks.

I've bought a couple of decks from Battle Arena Decks, Rayquaza Vs Keldeo. And those have nice cards and good trainers.
So would it be best to just continue buying premade decks and begin collecting the trainers and then buying individual cards I'd want to make certain types of energy decks with? Maybe using online competitive decks as examples?
Or would it make sense to stick to one release/expansion and just buy booster boxes and begin collecting that way?

There's too many directions to go I've decided when I look at the individual cards of each expansion. Each has one or two great cards in each energy type and has a handful of good EX/GX cards. Seems cheaper to buy booster boxes and gamble on getting certain GX/EX's than putting out $25-$50 for each single card, you know?

Well totally confuselated on direction for this for now. Any suggestions would be heavily appreciated.
Thanks!!
Chuck

At this point, your best bet is to probably do some research into competitive decks instead and see if any of those decks catch your eye as doing things you like and focus on buying cards for that one as there are many decks where you will not be shelling out $25 to $50 per card.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2018
I got back into the game in 2017, after being away for about 15 years. I started by getting my girlfriend and I both off-the-shelf theme decks. We played with those decks for a couple days to get a feel for the game, then started buying boosters and upgrading our decks.

Now my brother, sister-in-law, sister, and dad have all gotten into Pokemon TCG they do the same thing, start with a theme deck and use it as a guide to begin deck-building. If you're solely into playing and don't want to collect, then I recommend buying singles online and building a deck. However, if you're getting into collecting as well, then you can enjoy the thrill of buying boosters, booster-boxes, trainer boxes, and everything else you see on the shelves. If you get pulls that fit your deck, great! If not, then they will still make a great addition to your card collection.

Back