• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What Do You Think Is The Best Hoenn Starter?

Years
I have to say...hm...Mudkip is my favorite. He's cute, strong, and amazing overall! The only thing is...when I had mudkip as a pick, I got my butt handed over to me by May in Saphirre when she learned any grass move...:/ Especially in the beginning...when I didn't have much variety or money to my team.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
i like Torchic, it was easy in the beginning, but got challenging near the end (6th, 7th, and 8th gym) thats because back then i only really depended on my starter and the legendary all my other pokemon were HM mules, but then i started caring about my other types around 11 years old and learned what evolved into a flygon.

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014
Well, I have always picked Mudkip for two reasons. One. It's Adorable!!! And
Two. It's final evolution is Swampert. Who reminds me of Iman Shumpert, My favorite basketball player. I always name my Mudkip, Shumpert (He plays for New York and they wear White, Blue and Orange)

Sirfetch’d

Torchic for me. IS and always will be my favorite starter as I just love Blaziken!

Anguscr4p

3rd Gen Enthusiast
Years
All three are actually the strongest starters in any game by BST.

And honestly, I mix it up each time I play.
Sceptile gives me a strong mixed sweeper, Blaziken gives me a powerhouse attacker, and Swampert can be the rock of your team that can also turn around and hit with the best of them.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Mudkip! I mean, Swampert is just awesome! I remember that my Swampert will simply earthquake them all......Furthermore, it is quite bulky, making it one of my all-time favorites. Though I like it due to its design in the first place.....

Years
I can never choose... Strategically, Mudkip is the best choice. Blaziken has some of the best movesets for any starter ever and Treecko has incredile speed and it's evolutionary designs are epic.

Usually I just pick the one that I haven't used in a while.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I have always chosen the Torchic family of starters.

Reasons:

1. Fire

2. Can easily beat most of the gyms with the right training.

3. Cute to Awesome

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Mudkip. It does great against the first gym. Marshtomp has bulk so the second gym is easy and then the third and fourth don't stand a chance against it. Treecko does great against the first gym and then blows against the rest whilst Torchic has to evolve to even compete.

Years
Treecko is my personal favorite, Sceptile's design + Leaf Blade is an amazingg combination. <3 Not a big fan of the evolutions of the other two, so.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
Well in Emerald Mudkip is great for the Rock types at that GYM. Water gun all the way, then at level 16, Marstomp...Muddy Water <3 then at level 36, Swampert and it is like a freaking tank.

So I always go for Mudkip and IMHO is the best starter. Though, Grovile is pretty mean with that leaf blade.

acdbK2Pi.png

nitemate

Don't play Pokemon anymore ...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
mudkip is best. Swampert is water/ground type Pokemon which makes it immune to electric moves. It also has quite high has HP which is . Swampert also has a good movepool allowing it to threaten a wide variety of foes

RIAD99

Rayquaza
Years
of course mudkip he is really strong n when he evolve he will gain the ground so no stupid weakness to electric types

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2013
I continue this Mudkip chain! The first pokemon I ever started with in R/S/E, the ONLY pokemon I will ever start with! (I like the others, don't get me wrong, love even, but when I'm choosing another, I look into Mudkip's eyes, see him saying "Why aren't you picking me??", and go for him.) Also, I just can't imagine an adventure without my Kipp Kiligan.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
My favourite is Treecko since he's adorable, basically! However the 'best' Hoenn starter is undoubtedly Blaziken as he has unrivalled strength within the trio and could arguably take either of the other two down with ease. His Swampert has merits as a defensive wall and Sceptile has merits as a cool tree gecko lizard monster type thing, but Blaziken is the way forward if you want the best Pokémon of the trio since his stats, moves and abilities (shame Speed Boost came in such a late generation!) are all the best.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
Treecko has been my favorite ever since I used him in Emerald (what can I say, I've got a thing for green :P). The Hoenn starters are my personal favorites (closely followed by the Kanto Starters) and I've used each one on numerous playthroughs. All three of them evolve into absolute tanks, so they're all great to have on a team. However, I've got a bias for grass starters and Treecko is, in my opinion, the best grass starter out there. :D

Back