• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Encountering Legendary Dogs

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
Have any of you ever encounted one of the legendary dogs after only 3 badges? I keep thinking it's a glitch/bug.

Outside Mahogany Town, I've encountered Entei and Raikou with a gap of 5-6 normal spawning pokémons. I've only just cleared the Burned Tower.

That's kind of early isn't it?

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
it's not early at all.
The Roaming variable is activated as soon as you clear burned tower.
You can catch them after seeing them in the tower.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
it's not early at all.
The Roaming variable is activated as soon as you clear burned tower.
You can catch them after seeing them in the tower.

It's just funny, I've never encountered them this early on in the game. Having completed it several times it came as a surprise to me.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
It's just funny, I've never encountered them this early on in the game. Having completed it several times it came as a surprise to me.

Different encounter rates.
It's just chance you found them early.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Have any of you ever encounted one of the legendary dogs after only 3 badges? I keep thinking it's a glitch/bug.
They aren't dogs, they are cats (or alternatively hamsters :P[/insider])

I think I've encountered one early on one of my playthroughs, even though I can't remember exactly. It was Raikou if I recall correctly and the usual happened: it run away

Because their AI script lets them run away on sight it prevents that from being a bug/glitch (except if they show up even though you haven't cleared Burned Tower, which never happened to me)

Years
As soon as you meet them in the burned tower you can catch them at any route in the wild, except Suicune on Crystal.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You can find them as soon as they're released from the tower. I found one after walking in the grass below Ecruteak once. Like, it was the first thing I found, haha. So yeah, that's only three badges in, so it's possible. If it's before you've released them though, then yeah, that'd be a bug. But it's not uncommon to find them after they've started roaming, even if it was two seconds ago.

Eh. Debatable. But more often referred to as dogs, so I've always taken them as such. But that's a topic for another time!

Sirfetch’d

I've encountered them that early before, but I have never attempted to catch them until after I have gotten the Master Ball. I wouldn't want to waste my time attempting to catch them that early with no good Pokeballs available and even if I did manage to catch them, I wouldn't use them because it would make the game too easy.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I haven't been able to encounter any of the dogs as early as you, unfortunately. The first dog I've stumbled into was after my fifth or sixth gym battle, and if I remember correctly, I think it was Suicune. I didn't bother to throw any Poké Balls towards it, though, because I knew that I wouldn't be able to catch it. I used a move on it instead to make it a little weaker, so that I would have an easier time to capture this Pokémon next time I encounter it.

C4

Explosive
Years

I've always called them "The Beasts."
Entei and Raikou are obviously felines (tiger and lion) while Suicune is obviously a canine (big dog?)

Years
I've always called them "The Beasts."
Entei and Raikou are obviously felines (tiger and lion) while Suicune is obviously a canine (big dog?)

I always called them dogs - I think they might have been referred to like that somewhere in crystal? Maybe not, and I was just going off of Suicine, who is very dog-like. And while Raikou is obviously feline, I feel Entei is somewhere in the middle - I can see lion, but I can also see very large dog, like a german shepherd or something.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years

You got lucky!

It's activated after burned tower, I usually don't see the beasts until I'm actively searching for them, though. They very rarely just appear... especially not before the E4! Guess I have bad luck :P

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I never encountered a dog until post e4 in Kanto I was like oh cool entei let me catch you and he was like lol nope and ran away. I had no idea what went on so I just ran up into viridian city

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013
I heard different music somewhere near Azalea Town (looking for a Bellsprout) and was like "WTF im scared" and saw Raikou. I freaked out and ran.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
Only ever encountered one dog in 100 hours of the game, Raikou. I don't like Raikou, so I named it Magikarp.

glozell-lmao-o.gif

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 13, 2013
The thing with the Legendary Dogs is that, if they run away, you can still view their 'nest' in the Pokedex. Funny thing is, every time you change position on the map, their nest changes. (For instance I am in Violet City, while Entei is just north of Goldenrod City. If I move to the route just south of Violet City, the Legendary dog may randomly change position to some other route.)

Back