Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
22,689 posts
8.7 Years
gimmegaming

Alright, I have decided to give one of these gaming journal things a try. I'll try to post thoughts as I go for most games, but you'll likely only get initital thoughts and thoughts on completion for some. Especially if they are games I've already played through not that long ago. I probably won't share thoughts on Pokemon games either unless I pick one for my challenge since there's a separate section for that.

I'll be keeping track of what I am currently playing and what I have completed here in this post as well as keeping a table of contents linking to individual update/review posts.

Goal: Complete Twelve Games
Completed: 1/12
Currently playing: Pokemon Shield (Ghost Monotype), Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Staff Anime Villain Collab • Petelgeuse Romanee-Conti • My brain trembles!

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
22,689 posts
8.7 Years
Halo Reach: Overall Thoughts
I said this elsewhere, but it should probably be included here too.

I only owned this game because a friend wanted more people to play with and thus bought it as a gift for a handful of people. I'm not big on the FPS genre, or first person games in general, because seeing a disembodied set of arms floating around on my screen usually hurts my immersion more than it helps it. That being said, I enjoyed Halo: Reach.

The story isn't super complex or deep, but it's much more compelling than a lot of similar games feel to me. The characters are all very distinct and interesting and you get a good feel for them and for what they're experiencing. The gameplay itself is, again, not my preferred style of game. However, as far as FPS games go it was solid. The controls are very intuitive, you can avoid getting lost simply by following the enemies and the variable difficulty is handy if you need to drop it for a while or if it gets too easy.

The only segments I didn't enjoy as much were the ones that required you to pilot a vehicle. No matter what it was, the vehicles always felt really clunky to operate and steered awfully. Part of that is undeniably because I suck at gaming, but I definitely think the experience itself could be improved on.

Vehicles aside, I'd gladly recommend this game to others.

Story: 7/10
Visuals: 7/10
Soundtrack: 9/10
Gameplay: 7/10
Total Score: 30/40

Will post my first FE:3H update below soon!

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
22,689 posts
8.7 Years
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Prologue and Chapter One
I enjoyed the opening cinematic and the early interaction with Sothis, but my first impression of the game as a whole started to take a bit of a hit after getting to the Monastery Academy. I get why it was done the way it was, but you're immediately hit with "your mission is to meet roughly the entire cast" as well as a lot of exposition and fetch quests. Plus you're very quickly introduced to a lot of different stats and mechanics. It can feel a bit overwhelming, especially when you remember that the combat is also very strategy-based.

A lot of the cast don't leave amazing first impressions either. Although, I have to say, I liked Sothis, Edelgard and Claude well-enough and Bernadetta very quickly became my favourite. That was a big part of what lead me to choosing the Black Eagle route. It's funny that I promised to do the Blue Lions last and that people keep telling me they have the best story, because I like the prince the least of the leaders and honestly, most of the rest of that house don't do much for me either.

By the time I reached the Mock Battle, I was coming around to the game a bit more and by the end more of the students were growing at me. After the initial onslaught, things get easier to deal with and you get more room to take things in. I was a bit apprehensive about hearing about the upcoming bandit conflict though because I'm playing on Classic and the spectre of death is always hanging over me.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Chapter Two
After this chapter, the cast is definitely growing on me more and I'm really enjoying the teaching mechanics and various interactions and sub quests around the school's facilities. Bernadetta remains my favourite character by far, but I don't dislike any of the house at this point. That being said, some have grown on me more than others. Edelgard, Petra, Caspar and Lindhard are characters I'm especially enjoying but the remaining handful all seem like they have potential. I like that I can recruit characters from the other houses if they catch your attention too, so I'm going to hopefully recruit Hilda and Ignatz at some point since they seem fun.

The worldbuilding and combat this chapter was fun. The auxiliary battle was surprisingly fun for a tutorial and I ended up having a great time during the bandit battle. I'm really enjoying the combination of strategy game, almost civ-like battle, but with characters you actually give a damn about to add to the tension. I'm pleased to say nobody died in the first real battle, but I am glad I have a healer and healing items looking at how much damage the minions plebs sometimes did.

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
22,689 posts
8.7 Years
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Chapter 3
Okay, I'm officially sold on the entirety of my house except for maybe Hubert but he'll probably grow on me too. The little interactions you get through things like the Suggestion Box, questions in class, the out-of-class bonuses and supports really give you a feel for the characters. I'm definitely set on recruiting Ignatz and Hilda if/when I can too. I think the game actually does a surprisingly good job with the teaching aspect. It's really cool seeing the students grow from the lessons, how their goals change and the classes they aim for stem from that and also how they interact with you during their study. The teaching segments might be some of my favourite. I'd give you my top 5 characters or something, but the list gets real murky after Bernadetta now.

The combat this chapter was plenty fun too. I nearly lost Caspar because I got distracted and did something dumb, that was a bit of an oof but time psyduckery saved me. Other than that, the battle was pretty easy - especially once the fog was lifted (cool strategic element that was). Even without Catherine just bodying everyone that got near her it wouldn't have been too difficult I think. It was definitely fun though. Surprisingly, Dorothea got MVP and climbed an entire two levels. Current roster looks like

Byleth - lv 7, Myrmidon
Edelgard - lv 6, Fighter
Bernadetta - lv 5, Aiming for Sniper (heh)
Ferdinand - lv 5, Aiming for Cavalier
Caspar - lv 5
Petra - lv 4
Dorothea - lv 4
Lindhardt - Lv 4, Aiming for Bishop
Hubert - lv 4

Nah

Age 28
Female
Seen 41 Minutes Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
14,534 posts
7.2 Years
I should probably mention to you that, for whatever reason (I feel like it was a dev error/oversight but can't confirm), you can't recruit Hilda if going the Black Eagles route. She's available in the 3 other routes though.
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
22,689 posts
8.7 Years
I should probably mention to you that, for whatever reason (I feel like it was a dev error/oversight but can't confirm), you can't recruit Hilda if going the Black Eagles route. She's available in the 3 other routes though.
WELL NEVER MIND THEN

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
22,689 posts
8.7 Years
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Chapter 4
So I opened this chapter with my student ordering me around and sending me on a mission because teaching royalty is just the worst. I wish I'd gotten a bit more worldbuilding or something out of the mission too, since it was mostly just hunting around for a bunch of monks who told me things I already knew. However, since I had to re-evaluate my recruiting preferences because psyduck Hilda I guess, running around the academy did give me a chance to stat building better relationships with some of the others I'm now looking at - Ignatz, Ashe, Lysethia, Mercedes, Annette and Marianne. The tea party mechanic you unlock surprised me, but it's cute and it's handy having another way to improve relationships. I also enjoyed the special cooking and fishing events that came up and hope I get to do more of those.

I got loads of supports this chapter and they're definitely doing their job of making me like characters more. Dorothea roasting Ferdinand definitely made my opinion of her increase and has been one of my favourites so far. I also really liked Bernie's supports with Lindhardt, Petra and Caspar a lot. Caspar's with Byleth was great too. I enjoyed all of them, but those are the ones from this time around that I feel deserve specific mention.

This chapter's combat definitely felt like a small jump up in difficult because I really did have to think about it. I took Anette with me this time, which proved very useful. Having two healers with her present meant it was much easier/safer for me to split the party into two as we went around the Death Knight and came at the General from both sides. The game gave Byleth MVP this round, which is fair since he cleaved through a lot of enemies and shot up two levels. I have to give honourable mentions to Ferdinand who was almost never hit despite being consistently in front line combat and dealing buckets of damage and Bernadetta who very nearly just one-shotted the enemy general from like half the map away. Current roster looks like:

Byleth - lv 9, Myrmidon
Edelgard - lv 8, Fighter
Bernadetta - lv 7, Aiming for Sniper (heh)
Ferdinand - lv 7, Soldier, Aiming for Cavalier
Caspar - lv 6
Petra - lv 6
Dorothea - lv 5
Lindhardt - Lv 4, Aiming for Bishop
Hubert - lv 5

I really need to set up some kills for Lindhardt since he's falling behind cause while healing gives decent XP, it's not as much as the others are getting for murdering muk. The Sword of Creation looks badass and I'm going to have to fight a lot of temptation to use it so it doesn't break.

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
22,689 posts
8.7 Years
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Chapter 5
Whoa boy, this was a hectic chapter. I got bucketloads of supports again and had multiple combats to get through. Quite a few quests to do as well. This was another chapter where I got to see some interesting character moments. Hearing more about Jeralt and his wife/Jeralt's mum was a welcome surprise, I feel like there might be a bit more there but I'm happy with it regardless. Caspar and Petra's unfortunate shared history (and related worldbuilding) was fantastic. Edelgard has grown on me a lot this chapter too, it's becoming clearer and clearer that her goals are something I greatly empathise with. Dorothea has grown on me as well the past two chapters. Also, obligatory Bernie is still the best character.

I'm finding Hubert's talk of taking muk into his own hands pretty damn ominous right now though.

The first combat I did, for Seteth's quest, was really easy. The mission combat though, god damn. It wasn't the hardest thing ever, but I ended up grateful for Sothis and her time psyduckery because I nearly got Caspar killed again - very neary had a situation where I was going to have to choose who died out of him, Dorothea and Lindhardt. Because Archers. Psyduck archers. Oh, and Black Beasts are terrifying. Gilbert got mauled by it, but I managed to take it out with a Byleth/Ferdinand/Edelgard/Bernadetta combo with Lindhardt and Annette healing from the back.

I'm focusing on trying to recruit Annette right now, but I think it's going to be tricky if I can't find a way to get my Magic stat to increase. Not sure what I'm going to do about that. I'm also planning on recruiting Ignatz, Ashe, Marianne, Lysethia, Mercedes and Leonie. Right now though, I haven't managed to recruit anyone else and I'm a bit worried it's taking me too long.

Current roster is:

Byleth - lv 14, Mercenary
Edelgard - lv 11, Fighter
Bernadetta - lv 10, Fighter, aiming for Sniper (heh)
Ferdinand - lv 10, Soldier, Aiming for Cavalier
Caspar - lv 9, Fighter
Petra - lv 9, Myrmidon, Aiming for Assassin
Dorothea - lv 9
Lindhardt - Lv 9, Monk, Aiming for Bishop
Hubert - lv 10, Monk

Annette - lv 9, Monk, has been joining the party for missions but is not formally recruited.

I'm hoping to level them all considerably during the next chapter and get Dorothea into a class, probably Monk as well. If I'm lucky, a few will be able to do their first intermediate classes too. Really want to make progress on recruiting, that's irking me.

Nah

Age 28
Female
Seen 41 Minutes Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
14,534 posts
7.2 Years
Increasing support levels also helps you meet the threshold for recruiting other characters, so do what you can on that front too.
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."