• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How To Train Your Dragon

Years
So far, what do you think of the films and which is your favourite? Your favourite dragon? Favourite character? Have you read the books? Seen the series?

Discuss away! Every aspect. But only if you type with Scottish intonations... well its optional, but recommended.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I've only seen the first one, a long time ago so I barely remember. I should watch them.

One thing I do like about this series though is that they actually age the characters. That's pretty neat for an animated movie.

Years
this is an incredibly cute movie series and i lovelove it, can't wait for the third movie to come out next year! toothless is very obviously my favorite. <3

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I've seen both films but the animated series I only saw one season of when it was on Cartoon Network and before it went to Netflix(which I don't have). The characters do indeed grow and planted the seeds for a pivotal character appearing in the second movie(won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it). From what I've seen of the third film, its quite obvious that the one question they've yet to answer was whether there were more of Toothless out there. It was part of their exploration goal in the beginning of the 2nd movie. Based on the trailers of the third movie, their answer is yes more Night Fury's do indeed exist and a rare female no less(couldn't have Hiccup with a girlfriend/fiance and not pair up the Dragon).

Years
I am ashamed to say that I haven't read the books but I love the movies and I can't wait to see The Hidden World - hopefully this weekend.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
I haven't read the books either though I had a friend who did and actually held a deep seated hatred for the movies as a result. ^^; I love the movies though and even played the mobile game for a long while.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
The books are next on my list when I finish crying over the third movie

Favorite character and dragon are of course Toothless (Big surprise right?)

I've seen all seasons the series picked up by Netflix, still have to watch the first TV show series.

All in all, I can't believe the main series is over... sure they have a years worth of time between movie 2 and 3 to put some content, but how long will it take to burn that out?

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I've seen dragons defenders of burk. I hate that show, theres so much bullying in it :(

Can't say it gives me the best impression of the series.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Not one to bump this but I finally got around to seeing the third film tonight and I must admit, it was really good. I'd give it a B+, which for me is still decent. First one is the only one to get an A from me. 2nd got a B+ too so yeah, hard to beat the original.

Spoiler:

Years
I have yet to watch the third, but I'm eager to see it! Sometimes one begins to get paranoid that the crescendo of a trilogy is going to be lazy and slapdash because the creators were overconfident or bored of it, or something, or just looking to take the money and run. Why does The Hobbit leap so mysteriously to the synapses? Hrmm, hrmm, hrmm... but HTTYD is a labour of love, definitely, and it's great that the third movie has met the same standard of quality as its predecessors. Or reputedly. Still have to watch the dang thing.

Hiccup is my favourite character, by far. I relate to him a lot, bravery and spike in competence excepted. He's flipping endearing for the whole ride. My favourite dragon is either Hookfang or Toothless, but the Cloudjumper that Valka rides is a definite competitor.

I've read about three of the books, which were hilarious and genuinely entertaining, but it's an electronic nightmare trying to get more. I totally recommend them. They're very different from the movies, if not completely, though just as fun. The prose is very childish, though. Scholars might be put off. And I've watched a couple of episodes of Riders of Berk. The series is not the prettiest thing to behold, but its still good.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I have yet to watch the third, but I'm eager to see it! Sometimes one begins to get paranoid that the crescendo of a trilogy is going to be lazy and slapdash because the creators were overconfident or bored of it, or something, or just looking to take the money and run. Why does The Hobbit leap so mysteriously to the synapses? Hrmm, hrmm, hrmm... but HTTYD is a labour of love, definitely, and it's great that the third movie has met the same standard of quality as its predecessors. Or reputedly. Still have to watch the dang thing.

Hiccup is my favourite character, by far. I relate to him a lot, bravery and spike in competence excepted. He's flipping endearing for the whole ride. My favourite dragon is either Hookfang or Toothless, but the Cloudjumper that Valka rides is a definite competitor.

I've read about three of the books, which were hilarious and genuinely entertaining, but it's an electronic nightmare trying to get more. I totally recommend them. They're very different from the movies, if not completely, though just as fun. The prose is very childish, though. Scholars might be put off. And I've watched a couple of episodes of Riders of Berk. The series is not the prettiest thing to behold, but its still good.

Recommend it, if only because they do give the impression that the franchise is indeed over and the delay in getting the movie released was well spent since its polished with perfect blend of humor and drama. Granted the plot was kind of predictable seeing as Hiccup had a GF from Movie#1 onward so they had to pair up the Dragon at some point. I'd add that the "twins" stole the show in my eyes but I'll leave that to you when you inevitably see it. As for the Animated series, I saw Riders of Berk or the very first season on CN before it went to Netflix. Been watching Defenders of Berk(first series on Netflix) and now Race to the Edge(second series on Netflix) that took place between Movies#1 and #2. It's not too bad from an initial glance but I'd have to rewatch the Episodes several times to really give a critical review. Overall though I'd give the Animated Series a preliminary grade of a B.

Back