• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PWT

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
So it's either: a. I really am an idiot, or b. the Johto Leaders tournament really is tougher than all the other Leader tournaments, which I've already beaten without much hassle.

I thought of making a team help thread, but maybe a discussion would work better. So here goes:

The AI in the PWT seems smarter, the question is how much smarter is it? Would IV breeding and EV training a team be worth it or a waste of time? Should you focus more on movesets and items? How do you even plan your team and your strategy given that you can battle any three of the seven other participants in the tournament? Basically, do you need to be a competitive trainer to beat the PWT?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

The AI seems smarter, but only due to their teams' better movesets. Well, perhaps they're a bit more wary, but I think that's always been the case anyway. They just had really worse options before, that their AIs probably decided that it's better to stick with "dumb" decisions.. like not switching.

EV training is more than enough, and highly recommended. IVs are not necessary, but would help. Natures, well if it doesn't bother you... but yeah, that goes with EV training usually anyway.

It's pretty easy to predict the PWT trainers, as compared to real people. Taking that into advantage, you could cover your weaknesses much easier. Generally, having one pokemon dedicated to status-dealing (especially T.Wave) rigs the system XD Even Reflect/LS works effectively for most of the time. Some, though, were designed to be fighting competitively like you are, or even like a pro -- like the DLCs... so the only way to beat them leads you back to the basics: a quick-draw game (first to attack has the advantage) and rock-paper-scissors (a guessing game based on luck).

Yes, I do think you'll have to take the battles with a competitive mindset -- as every opponent was designed to battle competitively (with their IVs, EVs, Natures and movesets being modified and all).

Back