• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Unbound [COMPLETED]

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
Years
Skeli Games Presents
HMT9q3Z.png
I give full permission for the contents of this thread to be hosted on external sites!

Introduction
Hello Pokécommunity, my name is Skeli and this is my one and only ROM Hack. I began ROM Hacking seriously in 2016, and since then I've written various ASM routines, created the Dynamic Pokemon Expansion for FireRed, and created the Complete FireRed Upgrade alongside ghoulslash.
After much time, I am proud to announce that Pokemon Unbound is finally ready. There are now two fully-featured versions available:
  • The first is the main game, a story-driven game with complex puzzles designed to test the limits of your patience and perseverance. Once you clear the main campaign, there is also a significant amount of post-game content to enjoy for weeks to come.
  • The second, known as the Battle Frontier Demo, showcases Unbound's battle engine by granting unrestricted access to the Battle Frontier. This version was created in the format of a mobile game; meaning daily rewards, monthly distributions, and unlimited playtime. If you enjoy battling, then you'll find no shortage of things to do with the over 100 different possible battle combinations. For a fair battling experience, I recommend this version over the main game's Insane difficulty - a difficulty designed around unfair challenges.
With that being said, enjoy Pokemon Unbound!​

Story
Welcome to Borrius, a region rich with history. Centuries ago, the Borrian people were enveloped in a great war with a foreign land. When all seemed lost, the Borrian king summoned a powerful force to help turn the tide of battle. Unfortunately, the war ended in defeat when the king of the foreign land unleashed a devastating weapon. Disgruntled, the Borrian army returned home.
The people, now enraged against the Borrian king, attempted a coup by manipulating the dark force summoned during the war. The Borrian king was able to seal away its power, however, and the coup was thwarted.
Many years later, an organization known simply as the "Shadows" seems bent on releasing the dark force once again. Are they after the destruction of the Borrius region, or is there something else at play? It's up to you to stand in their way!​

Features
  • A Powerful Engine: Pushing the Complete FireRed Upgrade to its maximum potential, Pokemon Unbound contains a custom battle engine on par with Gen 8, as well as many quality of life features that improve the gameplay experience just waiting to be found. Enjoy catching all of your favourite Pokemon, from Gen 1 up to Gen 7, while using all of your favourite moves and abilities from each of these generations!​
  • QOL Galore: Pokemon Unbound is also chock full of quality-of-life features to enjoy, such as Unlimited Bag Space, Auto-Run, the DexNav, Daily Raids and much more!​
  • A New HM System: Have access to all of your favourite HMs without the hassle of carrying HM slaves! As long as your Pokemon can learn an HM, they will be able to use it in the overworld, and once you purchase the brand new key item - the ADM in the post-game, enjoy battling with all six Pokemon from your favourite team regardless of the HMs they can learn!​
  • Updated Graphics: Sporting Gen 4 graphics in the overworld and Gen 5-esqe interfaces, in addition to a dynamic day and night system, Pokemon Unbound has a brand new, yet familiar feel! You're not in Kanto anymore!​
  • Difficulty Modes: Choose from up to four different difficulty modes! Ranging from Easy to Insane, you can either sit back and relax or get your teeth kicked in by a completely brand new AI system!​
  • A Unique Mission System: Pokemon Unbound contains over 80 unique Missions to complete! Mission progress can be tracked using the new Mission Log, in addition to extra details, such as which items have been found in collectathons!​
  • Character Customization: Choose from up to 300 different combinations of skin tones, hair colours, and outfit colours! Unleash your fashion sense!​
  • Daily Events: There are plenty of events all over Borrius, many of which can be experienced daily, and some can only be found at certain points in the day! Play throughout the day to experience them all!​
  • Exciting Mini-Games: Play exciting mini-games such as Cloud Burst, Safari Sniper, and Underground Mining!​
  • Challenging Puzzles: Put your brain to the test, and find ways to solve many of the unique and complex puzzles littered throughout Borrius!​
  • A Rich Post-Game: Spend hours after the main campaign battling in Pokemon Unbound's battle facilities, completing Missions, mining in the KBT Expressway, catching Legendary Pokemon, and so much more!​
  • A Custom OST: Enjoy over 180 original songs composed for Pokemon Unbound, each as brilliant as the last! And if you're left wanting them for yourself, you can download them all here!​

Screenshots

OUWXtD0.png
SEBRdPG.png

IILcQLr.png
yxnDnr4.png
JcHbIKH.png

1oTkbq6.png
LnStzst.png
uOUEa1B.png

8t6oj0f.png
hvEqEgo.png
ZWygquv.png

xQ4ABUF.png
myB9U0x.png
Ud47Y7i.png

08DYJJN.png
7pLDGZx.png
EaZa9zA.png

r4xp0bJ.png
Dwb5sP1.png
EnTlsds.png

Bo35fe7.png
5EULmW3.png
bai2G8i.png

7wTigpD.png
EA4iRFW.png
a5RFylA.png

YHEhgtz.gif
ac4ok4e.gif
4S4xjbT.gif

dnLqFAp.gif
oom2jAr.gif
skh275N.gif

IhlxabS.png
mYegrVT.png
jvw2Tec.png

xDlBnrn.gif
knB2wr8.gif
fDxqGOE.gif

KrYoVMN.png
8V9Zkjy.png
Dl66HLn.png

f661TPk.png
Ztep6ET.png
HUoXHFX.png

ZZq74lW.png
FHhzWNf.png
rnFHYkU.png

1BfOO4Y.png
kVv92NJ.gif
pNKDbxR.gif

Videos

Special Thanks
• Golche for sprite work, feedback, music, bug testing, and all around good work.
• Theharth for many things such as testing, Trainer text, menial labour, and just being a good friend.
• Lixdel for helping with a ton of stuff, including move animations, data insertion, and thorough bug testing.
• Nex for great sprites, great tiles, and the amazing title screen background.
• Criminon for plenty of great sprites, UI designs, and pouring hours into the costume system.
• Kwenio for several stellar character redesigns, including the main characters.
• Pascal van den Bos for taking on the role of Sound Director and ensuring the Unbound OST was phenomenal from start to finish.
• Rowyn Berlan, Jose Villanueva, Humanly, and Blanders for a huge chunk of the astounding OST.
• CyanSMP64 for helping save ROM space and making the OST even higher quality.
• Maria Panaiotti for the great redesign of the logo.
• U.Flame for the underwater tileset, as well as several tile and map improvements.
• Dr. Fuji and Hillsy13 for great tileset and mapping work.
• SevenK for always doing a great job tracking down bugs, being a huge asset in fixing them, and almost all of the custom shiny palettes.
• HnzMtthw for a great job bug testing and designing concept art.
• Patrickz for Frontier bug testing and AI suggestions.
• Deneb and Elgathar for testing and helping create challenging teams.
• Doctordoak for several balance suggestions and revamping almost all of the Battle Frontier spreads.
• Gail for helping test the CFRU in its infancy and plenty of bug testing afterwards.
• Strudelmuffin for coming up with some great late-game puzzles.
• Noodlewhiz for handling bug reports and his research into the correct mining implementation.
• Achromatic for the CSS Template used as a base for this thread.
• PRET for their astounding work with the decomps, a large reason Unbound is where it's at today.

Credits
Spoiler:

Bugs
All of the bugs and changes from the official games are listed in the attached readme file. If you find a bug not mentioned, please report it in the hack's Discord channel.

FAQ
Spoiler:

Documentation
General Guide (Credits to The Spectre)
Location Guide (Credits to SevenK)
Level-up movesets
Egg Moves
Evolution Methods
Base Stats & Wild Held Items
Battle Frontier Info
Trainer Teams (Credits to SkiDY)

Main Story Completion
100%

Battle Engine Completion
100%

Post Game Completion
90%

Downloads

Unbound 2.1.1.1
Original Release Date: December 20, 2021
Update Date: November 8, 2022
Completion: This is the completed version of Pokemon Unbound. Cube Corp.'s interior is still missing, but all Pokemon can be obtained one way or another, and all Missions can be completed.
Update: Hotfix for Rival battle crash.

Unbound Battle Frontier 2.0.1
Original Release Date: August 21, 2022
Update Date: August 26, 2022
Completion: This is a demo version that allows you to play exclusively in the Borrius region's Battle Frontier. It contains five battle facilities enjoy, as well as Raid Battles and a Safari Zone demo.
Update: Ring Challenge, New Key Items, Less Time-Based Events, + More (See changelog)

Unbound Original Soundtrack
Release Date: March 6, 2022

Spoiler:

Special Distributions
January's special distribution is an ancient puffer fish! If you're playing the main game, once you defeat the Pokemon League, talk to the green deliveryman on the second floor of any Pokemon Center to enter the password to receive this Pokemon! If you're playing the BFD, head south of the Battle Frontier and talk to the green deliveryman after travelling to the Cable Club.​

jhgWx7W.png
hbhJ95d.png
You must be on 2.1.0 or higher to claim this gift!
Password: 3ER7BX8CA5WR
Revealed On: January 3, 2022
Will be Hidden After: January 31, 2022

December's special distribution is an ancient "Weavile"! If you're playing the main game, once you defeat the Pokemon League, talk to the green deliveryman on the second floor of any Pokemon Center to enter the password to receive this Pokemon! If you're playing the BFD, head south of the Battle Frontier and talk to the green deliveryman after travelling to the Cable Club.​

2jtNdHD.png
hbhJ95d.png
You must be on 2.1.0 or higher to claim this gift!
Password: 7AX2WN9UN4BJ
Revealed On: January 3, 2022
Will be Hidden After: January 31, 2022

As part of v2.1.1's release, you can now receive a special Zarude! Obtaining this Zarude, saving, and reloading the game will allow Gen 8 mons to start being detected randomly by the DexNav. If you're playing the main game, once you defeat the Pokemon League, talk to the green deliveryman on the second floor of any Pokemon Center to enter the password to receive this Pokemon! If you're playing the BFD, head south of the Battle Frontier and talk to the green deliveryman after travelling to the Cable Club.​

zarude-dada.gif
hbhJ95d.png
You must be on 2.1.1 or higher to claim this gift!
Password: 3YT4BV7PH4UT
Revealed On: November 8, 2022

Awards

• HOTY 2019: Most Graphical Appeal
• HOTY 2019: Best Gameplay
• HOTY 2019: Fan Favourite

Support us!

EhoRFfU.png

https://discord.gg/k34Jm4T

Last edited:

Trainer 766

Isn't the name 'Pokemon Unbound' already taken for ORAS hack?

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
Years
Looks interesting, I have one question what are inverse battles?
Inverse battles are a special type of battle introduced in X&Y where type matchups are reversed.

Isn't the name 'Pokemon Unbound' already taken for ORAS hack?
I don't see how that is a problem. That is an entirely different kind of hack than mine. And anyways, my hack name has been in my signature for a while now.

Can I be a beta tester?
Of course! Beta testers and bug fixers are always welcome. I'll let you know when a testable version is ready.

cool! seeing that this is your' first hack... I think you have great future
Thank you!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Yes, it has Mega Evolution.

Of course! Help is always welcome. Beta testing is to begin by the end of the week so be ready.

Holy Crap! The hack is half way done? Thats insane! I honestly love the plot of the story and the mapping and graphics and sprites really match the region itself. So much attention to detail with the weather and style of clothing for the male and female protagonists! Not gonna lie though, but the female protagonist kinda looks like flannery but it really doesn't bother me. I wish you the best👌👌!

Z25

Team Player
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 27, 2023
This looks nice, can't wait to see a demo!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Inverse battles are a special type of battle introduced in X&Y where type matchups are reversed.

I don't see how that is a problem. That is an entirely different kind of hack than mine. And anyways, my hack name has been in my signature for a while now.

Of course! Beta testers and bug fixers are always welcome. I'll let you know when a testable version is ready.

Thank you!

May I beta test too? It looks very interesting and promising.

golche

Tactician of Askr
Years
Here's to hoping we can get a testable version out by the end of the week :)

Last edited:

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
Years
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2017
Wow this hack has/going to have everthing I want from a hack. Please write my "nickname" as a beta tester. I want to have a part in this project

Back