• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: The 4th gen class split in 3rd gen

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2020
Emerald. I have edited my initial post with this information. I thought it would be obvious since the icon post I was replying to was specifically for Emerald.

Sorry about that.I've been coming on during some pretty crazy times, so sometsometimes I'm on when I'm tired. Thank you again, and would you possibly have a patch for Fire Red, as well? I never got to play FR/LG back when they came out so I'm currently tweaking a copy of FR to my liking.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Are you getting this on a clean ROM? I'm able to duplicate this on a friend's Emerald hack if I put Forecast back on Castform's slot, but not on a clean Emerald ROM that just has the split.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
Are you getting this on a clean ROM? I'm able to duplicate this on a friend's Emerald hack if I put Forecast back on Castform's slot, but not on a clean Emerald ROM that just has the split.

Well sure enough, patching a clean rom didn't reproduce it. Haven't really played with Castform much so I hadn't noticed it until now. Seemed like the most likely cause to me (haven't messed around with weather at all myself, so seems like the only place it could have come from).

Out of curiosity and idea what caused it to happen in your friend's hack? Might help me diagnose mine.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
I have no clue. I do know there's a battle scripting command that does stuff with Castform, and would be inclined to look into that, but his hack does very little with custom battle scripts and nothing with abilities so I'm quite confused as to how it emerged there as well.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
I have no clue. I do know there's a battle scripting command that does stuff with Castform, and would be inclined to look into that, but his hack does very little with custom battle scripts and nothing with abilities so I'm quite confused as to how it emerged there as well.

After spending most of the morning on this, I've figured it out: Castform doesn't like being ???-type (or anything other than Normal for that matter).

When I added Fairy to my game, I did it by moving Normal over to what used to be ???-type. I think Castform is failing a "is Castform Normal" check somewhere, which is causing him to transform. Now I just need to find where said check might be, and change the type byte it's comparing to.

EDIT: Found a way to fix it. For anyone else having this problem, see my post here.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 24, 2014
Now that I have enough posts to put this here I might as well for convenience's sake, it was rather rude of me to not just bypass the filter to get these links up:

FR: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7e0m7xhmyaga2af
Em: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ipcjia5b778zj8o

Like with the other implementations in this thread, they work off the eleventh byte of the move data. They also implement the Special Defense boost in Sand, and jump through a number of other hoops to not break existing abilities and attacks, which is why I provide them as patches and not simple hex edits. Be aware that these patches do not touch the move table- you'll have to toggle the moves as physical or special yourself. I recommend using a hex editor or Nightmare for this, but PGE can also do the job (slowly).

Credits go to Tailes for most of the work on the Emerald split.

Also yes you can use these for your hacks just give credit you don't need to pm me for permission and plz don't

If you have to make it physical/special yourself, what does this even do?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
If you have to make it physical/special yourself, what does this even do?

It HAS the PS split, but what you have to do is distinguish the moves yourself in a move editor or hex editor. Otherwise, they'll all be physical.

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Your welcome. I'm glad that I helped. :)

---

Oh, sorry about that. I haven't been busy checking this thread. (I hope you recognize this now) Hmm... if you can't do the ASM, but can you do HEX EDITING, right? Read the revised steps again and Step 2B will help you a lot.

This is a great hack. One thing to note though, is that it doesn't work with animations.
Basically if you move from one Pokemon's status screen to another status screen directly (through scrolling with the up and down arrow keys) it'll cause a buggy version of the PSS icons to appear over the Pokemon when you select a move. What I mean by this, is that it is cut in half over the Pokemon's sprite using the palette of the Pokemon (last few colours).

xIQxkJW.png

If you leave the screen after viewing the moves (by clicking B) and then going to another Pokemon, this glitch does not occur.

Rather interesting. I imagine it has something to do with the way animations are loaded a second time, probably an overlapping variable/raw.

I am personally not really an Emerald hacker so I don't really know where to look, but I'll try some debugging at some point in the future.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
This is a great hack. One thing to note though, is that it doesn't work with animations.
Basically if you move from one Pokemon's status screen to another status screen directly (through scrolling with the up and down arrow keys) it'll cause a buggy version of the PSS icons to appear over the Pokemon when you select a move. What I mean by this, is that it is cut in half over the Pokemon's sprite using the palette of the Pokemon (last few colours).

xIQxkJW.png

If you leave the screen after viewing the moves (by clicking B) and then going to another Pokemon, this glitch does not occur.

Rather interesting. I imagine it has something to do with the way animations are loaded a second time, probably an overlapping variable/raw.

I am personally not really an Emerald hacker so I don't really know where to look, but I'll try some debugging at some point in the future.

Hmm... but it worked fine to me:

untitled_1_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d82mg3i.gif

I also tried the scrolling part with two smaller Pokemon. It doesn't appear any problem to me actually. Maybe something's wrong while you make this hack.

MrDollSteak

Years
Hmm... but it worked fine to me:

untitled_1_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d82mg3i.gif

I also tried the scrolling part with two smaller Pokemon. It doesn't appear any problem to me actually. Maybe something's wrong while you make this hack.

Interesting! Let me double check my implementation!
Thanks for showing me that.

EDIT: Seems to be with my implementation of the Fairy-type!
If the byte at 61CFC1 is above 17 it causes this glitch.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Interesting! Let me double check my implementation!
Thanks for showing me that.

EDIT: Seems to be with my implementation of the Fairy-type!
If the byte at 61CFC1 is above 17 it causes this glitch.

The Emerald Fairy patch really buggy and it already includes the split viewer. So anyways, (this might be off topic so bear with it) I tried manually add the Fairy type in Emerald without replacing any (I added the icon after the Dark and the 5 contest types). It glitched afterwards, why so? Have you tried adding the Fairy type manually and carefully? If so and very successful, please teach me dude. :)

MrDollSteak

Years
The Emerald Fairy patch really buggy and it already includes the split viewer. So anyways, (this might be off topic so bear with it) I tried manually add the Fairy type in Emerald without replacing any (I added the icon after the Dark and the 5 contest types). It glitched afterwards, why so? Have you tried adding the Fairy type manually and carefully? If so and very successful, please teach me dude. :)

I'm not using the Fairy type patch... at all.
As I mentioned I expanded it myself without replacing. The only problem is, again as I mentioned the limiter for the type icons at 61CFC1 affects the PSS Icons. If it is 17 then its fine, but you don't get the Fairy-type, if it's 18, then you get the bug I mentioned before. I believe it's not just a limiter, but also an OAM co-ordinate, so I'm just going to find a location where it doesn't overlap.

EDIT: 30 seems to work.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
I'm not using the Fairy type patch... at all.
As I mentioned I expanded it myself without replacing. The only problem is, again as I mentioned the limiter for the type icons at 61CFC1 affects the PSS Icons. If it is 17 then its fine, but you don't get the Fairy-type, if it's 18, then you get the bug I mentioned before. I believe it's not just a limiter, but also an OAM co-ordinate, so I'm just going to find a location where it doesn't overlap.

EDIT: 30 seems to work.

Ahh... alright. I will try that later... but... "30" really works? So like, if it is 30 (hex), I can have 48 types (26 new) in game. LOL Haha! Thanks dude.

Years
Hello, I have a little problem.
I did it on a clean emerald rom and it worked.
But i try to do it with my rom which has extended moves and it fails.

The game run without problem until I go to Pokemon-Summary-Battle Moves and I press A.

With VBA 1.8 I have this error message "Unsupported BIOS function 44 called from 0880043e0. A BIOS file is needed in order to get correct behaviour."
Then it reset the game. With other emulators, it is just reseting.
(I'm sure it is not a BIOS problem)

In all cases, thank you for this helpful tuto !

Édit : I didn't see where the mistakes were. So I restarted from the begining and it seams working. :)

Last edited:

ZoneX

Spriter
Years
Physical/Special split in Gen 3 games!! That's such an awesome feature! I think I've only seen a few hacks that contained this! I wonder if there's a hacking tool one can use. I would really enjoy using this feature in my Expert Emerald rom I've download ed

TheRabbit

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 1, 2015
When I used Dartharon's ASM code (with Jambo's fix), I'm just getting blank white squares where the icons would be.

The odd thing is I did it exactly the same way on a clean FR ROM and it worked fine.

What would be causing this?

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Hey, would anyone be interested in a tutorial using Darthatron and Jambo51's routines to insert the physical/special split that dumbs it down so you only have to use a hex editor? I think I've executed everything needed properly, but before I post the tut, I'd like to know that it would be useful. I know there are patches and whatnot that exist.

Years
Hey, would anyone be interested in a tutorial using Darthatron and Jambo51's routines to insert the physical/special split that dumbs it down so you only have to use a hex editor? I think I've executed everything needed properly, but before I post the tut, I'd like to know that it would be useful. I know there are patches and whatnot that exist.

In my opinion, that would be useful. Maybe I'll even try it out ;)

Back