• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash and Gary as Traveling Partners

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Would you have wanted Ash and Gary to be traveling partners at some point in the anime before Gary stopped being a Pokemon trainer to become a Pokemon researcher, after Gary stopped being a jerk and he and Ash became more of friends? I think it would have been interesting since they both had different approaches in their training and seeing their dynamic together for an extended time could've been compelling.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
may as well make my 3,000th post in Pokemon Anime anyway...

No.

And here's why I don't. Gary and Ash have always meant to have been rivals. Having them travel together wouldn't really grow him as a character, in my opinion. Though, seeing the two work together in Sinnoh once was nice to see, but I wouldn't have wanted Ash to travel with him, tbh. The point of rivals is for the opposing trainer to bring the best out of you, and that's what Gary was for up until his "departure" in the series. Maybe now that he's got a scientist job, he could tag along for a tiny bit in Alola but it's quite unlikely.

Years
As much as I love Gary, it wouldn't be right for him to be a travelling partner for Ash as his primary role in the show is to be his rival. That being said I would like to see him tag along for a few episodes just for a few laughs between him and Ash and to see them bring out the best in each other.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Well to be fair, Ash argued with Misty regularly too as well as with other companions.

Back