The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Competitive Pokémon
Help Me Start First Team, any suggestions?

Competitive Pokémon The forum designed for all of your competitive Pokémon needs! Here you can discuss the metagame, receive help on your team, ask for battles, participate in events, and much more!
Quick Links: PC's Battle Server

Old August 5th, 2018 (11:16 PM). Edited August 5th, 2018 by RoaminOrc.

So first team, I built it using just intuition and also Gengar is a MUST HAVE! Will not do a team without him. Anyways, I built a classic sweeper team so let me know what I can do to fix it! Also want to keep the Latias if I can.

Sp. Sweeper
    Gengar F @(can't decide, is his mega item still banned?)
    Cursed Body - Modest
    Shadow Ball
    Dazzling Gleam
    Sludge Bomb
    Haze

Sp. Sweeper
    Wishiwashi F @Shell Bell
    Schooling - Modest
    Aqua Ring
    Scald
    Ice Beam
    Earthquake

Atk. Sweeper
    Charizard F @Charizardite X
    Tough Claws - Adamant
    Belly Drum
    Earthquake
    Fire Punch
    Protect

Atk. Sweeper
    Bewear F @Groundium Z
    Fluffy - Adamant
    Thunder Punch
    Ice Punch
    Hammer Arm
    Double-Edge

Tank/ Staller
    Shuckle F @Leftovers
    Sturdy - Impish
    Toxic
    Protect
    Sandstorm
    Stone Edge

Support
    Latias F (duh) @Latiasite
    Levitate - Timid
    Ally Switch
    Heal Pulse
    Dragon Pulse
    Tailwind

The idea behind this team is to use Latias as a starter 99% of the time, the timid nature gives the ability to likely go first and get tailwind out. My other starter just depends but 80% of the time it will be Charizard. This way my first 3 turns could look simple yet effective. Tailwind and Protect, Ally Switch and Belly Drum, Heal Pulse onto Zard then either fire punch or earthquake, and Latias has levitate so it isn't affected. The other 2 pokemon I choose are just counters at that point. Likely Shuckle and then either Gengar or Wishiwashi.
    Old August 6th, 2018 (6:50 PM).

Hi. I don't know what format you are playing (Smogon or VGC), but this is a Competitive Pokemon forum, so the team has to be competitive. There are some things that you haven't had a knowledge about:
      1) Checks and Counters
      An ideal team is a team that has no weakness (every Pokemon's weakness should be able to be checked, at least, by the team's other Pokemon). With an instant glance, I know that Mixed Greninja will wreck this team. You can say that Bewear resists Dark and Latias/Wishiwashi resist Water, but they are slow and not bulky that they can be brute forced by non-super-effective moves by Greninja. Offensive Garchomp can also destroy this team after Latias faints. Pretty much all Fairy Pokemon are your weakness. Gengar is strong offensively, but defensively, it's so frail. You can't use it to tank much damage.

2) Item Effectiveness
      Every item should be able to be used at any time. In your team's case, you have 2 Mega Stones on your team. I know that you can pick between 2 Pokemon to suit the battle, but it's not worth having a Pokemon item-less (your team can only turn Mega once per battle). Also, why do you give Groundium Z to Bewear, when it has NO Ground moves? Just, why?

3) Pokemon Role
      Shuckle is NOT meant to take damage. It's true that it has insane Defense and Sp. Defense, but its Health is also insanely terrible. Gengar is a sweeper, that's right. A sweeper should have a high Speed, high offense stat (either before or after setup), and a wide movepool so that it can not be easily forced to switch. A sweeper should NOT have status moves other than self-boosting moves. Why does your Gengar have Haze?

That's what I can think for now. My advice for now is, you need to rebuild the team using what I typed, at least.
      Old August 7th, 2018 (1:17 PM). Edited August 7th, 2018 by The Alchemyst.

Nature: Relaxed
        Hey there! I really admire that you have vision and are looking to team-build around something you want to try. There's definitely a lot of power from your Hyper Offense team, and you definitely have diversified roles and coverage. Latias and Gengar are both generally solid OU Pokemon, and have clearly cut-out roles to impact the meta-game. That said, there is quite a bit of work your team needs to go through to become at least a little more balanced,. Additionally, I am unsure of which format you are trying to go for. Smogon only allows for one Mega Evolution, whereas VGC allows for multiple, though it leads to limited teambuilding that might impact your team's direction. With this in mind, I would be more than happy to point you in the right direction!

Firstly, let's take a look at your team as a whole. On paper, it has a lot of viable options and you can afford some key switch-ins. Gengar and Bewear have symbiotic immunities, with the former being able to switch into Fighting-types, and the latter being able to force out Pursuit trappers and Ghost/Dark-types. MegaZardX is a ridiculous physical machine, and hits universally hard with STAB Flare Blitz/Dragon Claw that is only resisted by a handful of Pokemon. Latias is the pinnacle of support, as you have rightly chosen. Finally, Wishiwashi is a fairly interesting choice that possess unbelievably potent bulk (for only so long). Despite these excellent team roles, it seems that you have some gaps to fill. The first counter that comes to my mind immediately are entry hazards. Both Charizard and Shuckle are weak to Stealth Rock, and hazards are a crucial aspect of the OU metagame. Gengar generally runs Focus Sash or some form of Choice item, and constantly switching in and out will completely limit Gengar's sweeping ability. Wishiwashi and Bewear also do not appreciate hazards, as it decreases their longevity to hit hard and leaves them easily able to being KOed. The second big hole in your team is its susceptibility to powerful neutral hits. I've taken the liberty to test your team up against common presences in both OU and VGC, and the outcome is quite terrifying. Most offensive Pokemon can 2HKO your team, especially so after status/hazards damage, which is not good in any case. You want members on your team to fulfill different roles, and it becomes more difficult if there is less of a chance for each Pokemon to perform its role if they are immediately killed. A few unresisted types your team has trouble against are Dark, Dragon, Ground (bar Latias), Ice (bar Wishiwashi), Psychic (bar Latias), Fairy (bar Gengar), and Electric (bar Latias). Most of these types are prominent offensive coverage moves like Earthquake, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt that most Pokemon in higher tiers have access to and hit especially hard with. Finally, your team contains Pokemon that are outclassed in their functions and power level, which is detrimental to your success. There's a reason why you barely see a Shuckle or a Wishiwashi in the higher tiers, and that's because there are several other Pokemon that do the same things as them but excel due to superior typing, movepool, or stat distribution. It's hard to see that outright, but there are easily a few other Pokemon that form better cores and synergies for the playstyle you want.

With all of this in mind, let's take a look at potential changes:

Bewear --> Lopunny-Mega

This is a really excellent switch due to the fact that Lopunny outspeeds everything in the tier bar Zeroara and Mega Alakazam, and possesses the highly valued ability Scrappy, which completely ravages the few defensive Ghost-types in the tier. Its STAB combination alone hits everything in the tier for at least neutral damage, and it can wallop most things that aren't immediately prepared to take a hit. Here's a set to run:

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
        Ability: Limber
        EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
        Jolly Nature
        - Return
        - High Jump Kick
        - Power-Up Punch
        - Ice Punch

Latias @Latiasite --> Latias @Soul Dew / Life Orb

Since your new Mega is in the form of a Lopunny, you probably should stick to running an Offensive Support Latias. Not only does her dual STAB hit quite extensively, but she can quickly aid her fellow teammates by clearing all hazards with Defog. Additionally, run Healing Wish over Heal Pulse because it adds tempo to your team and a full recovery is more reliable for sweeping teams.

Latias @ Soul Dew / Life Orb
        Ability: Levitate
        EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
        IVs: 0 Atk
        Timid Nature
        - Draco Meteor
        - Psyshock
        - Healing Wish
        - Defog

Shuckle --> Landorus-T

Landorus-T is an unbelievably reliable lead, especially when it comes to taking care of physical attackers that threaten your team. Landorus has key immunities to Electric and Ground, all while boasting resistances to Bug, Fighting, and Poison types. Lando has access to powerful offensive and support moves that will surely put you in a better position to win.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
        Ability: Intimidate
        EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
        Impish Nature
        - Stealth Rock
        - Earthquake
        - Hidden Power Ice
        - U-turn

Charizard-Mega-X --> Scizor

Your team now has a hole to Fairy-types, and Scizor definitely can handle that. With many common resistances and one weakness that is covered by your team, Scizor can emerge from UU to shine as a physical Choice Band Technician power hitter with solid coverage.

Scizor @ Choice Band
        Ability: Technician
        EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
        Adamant Nature
        - Bullet Punch
        - U-turn
        - Superpower
        - Knock Off / Pursuit

Wishiwashi --> Rotom-Wash

Finally, Wishiwashi is simply too slow and unreliable to act as a prominent Water-type sweeper. Instead, count on the interesting Electric/Water type combo of Rotom-Wash. Nowadays, Rotom-W usually runs defensive sets with a slow Volt Switch, but you can always rely on crippling stall/defensive Pokemon with Choice Scarf/Specs and Trick, while being able to hit quite hard and fast against your opponent's Pokemon with excellent coverage.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
        Ability: Levitate
        EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
        Timid Nature
        - Volt Switch
        - Hydro Pump
        - Hidden Power Ice
        - Trick / Thunderbolt

All in all, you definitely have the right idea for formulating a Hyper Offense team, but you just needed to be aware of some of the aspects of the tier and of your Pokemons' roles that would limit the potential of success for your team. These are just suggestions; do not feel compelled to use the sets verbatim, but I made sure to take in to account threats you might encounter in your competitive experience. Hope this helps a little bit. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Quick Reply