The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Deep Discussion
Debate Police brutality in the USA

Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old August 9th, 2018 (5:12 AM).
BronzeHeart92's Avatar
BronzeHeart92 BronzeHeart92 is offline
     
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Location: Finland
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Bold
    Posts: 166
    http://beforeitsnews.com/v3/alternative/2018/3630726.html

    Kinda weird turn of events to be honest. Hopefully these 'aberrant' cops got what they deserved in the end though...
    Reply With Quote
      #2    
    Old August 9th, 2018 (10:51 AM). Edited August 9th, 2018 by Trev.
    Trev's Avatar
    Trev Trev is offline
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Age: 21
    Nature: Sassy
    Posts: 1,382
    I recommend pulling the sources from websites that don't use biased language like "sadly."

    Regardless, this is not surprising to me. Cops have been so unreasonably aggressive these past few years that I'm not even slightly surprised that something like this happened. Saddened, for sure. People don't deserve to get treated this way and it's completely unprofessional.
    __________________






    Reply With Quote
      #3    
    Old August 9th, 2018 (12:21 PM).
    Nah's Avatar
    Nah Nah is online now
     
    Join Date: Nov 2013
    Age: 26
    Gender: Female
    Posts: 12,680
    hi my name is Nah and I'm a pretentious cunt and edited the thread title so we can try to morph this thread into one about the the general topic the initial article is related to--the apparent often use of arguably excessive force by police in the USA in the past several years
    __________________
    Nah ンン
    “No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."
    Reply With Quote
      #4    
    Old August 9th, 2018 (3:08 PM).
    TheGhostHunter's Avatar
    TheGhostHunter TheGhostHunter is offline
    Spooky Girl with a Computer
       
      Join Date: Nov 2016
      Location: Lavender Town
      Age: 18
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Careful
      Posts: 203
      While there are some grey areas at times and some instances where undeniable proof was presented that the suspect had been threating, I believe that nobody should be above the law.
      __________________
      "Never say 'Who's there?'! Don't you watch horror movies? It's a death wish! You might as well come out to investigate a strange noise or something."

      Oh wait, that's me. :wink-right-eye:
      Reply With Quote
        #5    
      Old August 9th, 2018 (3:23 PM).
      Raven's Avatar
      Raven Raven is offline
       
      Join Date: Jun 2013
      Location: Canada
      Age: 28
      Nature: Adamant
      Posts: 15,125
      Is there a cause to this? Is it lack of training? Maybe the training program for police needs an overhaul?
      __________________


      Tiny splinters are in your soul
      Darkest life in the deepest hole
      Reply With Quote
        #6    
      Old August 9th, 2018 (3:25 PM). Edited August 9th, 2018 by LDSman.
      LDSman LDSman is offline
         
        Join Date: Dec 2017
        Posts: 94
        The correct response to being told that you have an arrest warrant is to comply with the commands and ask for a lawyer before answering any questions by the police. The cops aren’t going to take the chance that your “passive resistance” will stay passive.
        Reply With Quote
          #7    
        Old August 9th, 2018 (4:07 PM).
        TheGhostHunter's Avatar
        TheGhostHunter TheGhostHunter is offline
        Spooky Girl with a Computer
           
          Join Date: Nov 2016
          Location: Lavender Town
          Age: 18
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Careful
          Posts: 203
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Raven View Post
          Is there a cause to this? Is it lack of training? Maybe the training program for police needs an overhaul?
          I believe that lack of training could account for a majority of cases, but there could be other problems such as steroid abuse, a lack of oversight, the difficulty in indicting an officer for crimes and in some possible cases, discrimination within the force.
          __________________
          "Never say 'Who's there?'! Don't you watch horror movies? It's a death wish! You might as well come out to investigate a strange noise or something."

          Oh wait, that's me. :wink-right-eye:
          Reply With Quote
            #8    
          Old August 9th, 2018 (5:47 PM).
          strangerhypno's Avatar
          strangerhypno strangerhypno is offline
             
            Join Date: Jul 2017
            Posts: 2,294
            No excuse for beating up civilians. These guys are just corrupt
            Reply With Quote
              #9    
            Old August 9th, 2018 (9:07 PM). Edited August 9th, 2018 by Trev.
            Trev's Avatar
            Trev Trev is offline
             
            Join Date: May 2012
            Age: 21
            Nature: Sassy
            Posts: 1,382
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by TheGhostHunter View Post
            While there are some grey areas at times and some instances where undeniable proof was presented that the suspect had been threating, I believe that nobody should be above the law.
            And where exactly did this person act as if he was above law? The only people acting like they’re above the law were the officers who tried to perform a search without a warrant. (EDIT: I realized that your statement was probably geared more towards criticizing the officers, so ignore this if that’s what you were saying lol i’m tired)

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by LDSman View Post
            The correct response to being told that you have an arrest warrant is to comply with the commands and ask for a lawyer before answering any questions by the police. The cops aren’t going to take the chance that your “passive resistance” will stay passive.
            People have been tased/shot even when they complied with officers. Maybe the officers should act like the trained professionals they’re supposed to be and not lash out with unnecessary violence when the situation doesn’t call for it.
            __________________






            Reply With Quote
              #10    
            Old August 10th, 2018 (4:18 AM).
            BronzeHeart92's Avatar
            BronzeHeart92 BronzeHeart92 is offline
               
              Join Date: Jun 2017
              Location: Finland
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Bold
              Posts: 166
              Keep in mind that over here in Finland the police is a rather respected institution.
              Reply With Quote
                #11    
              Old August 10th, 2018 (6:42 AM).
              TheGhostHunter's Avatar
              TheGhostHunter TheGhostHunter is offline
              Spooky Girl with a Computer
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2016
                Location: Lavender Town
                Age: 18
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Careful
                Posts: 203
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Trev View Post
                And where exactly did this person act as if he was above law? The only people acting like they’re above the law were the officers who tried to perform a search without a warrant. (EDIT: I realized that your statement was probably geared more towards criticizing the officers, so ignore this if that’s what you were saying lol i’m tired)


                What I mean by acting above the law is not only flouting internal procedures and breaking laws with the low possibility of indictment.



                People have been tased/shot even when they complied with officers. Maybe the officers should act like the trained professionals they’re supposed to be and not lash out with unnecessary violence when the situation doesn’t call for it.
                That is what I pointed out by a lack of training, steroid abuse within the force and possible internal discrimination.
                __________________
                "Never say 'Who's there?'! Don't you watch horror movies? It's a death wish! You might as well come out to investigate a strange noise or something."

                Oh wait, that's me. :wink-right-eye:
                Reply With Quote
                  #12    
                Old August 10th, 2018 (8:03 AM). Edited August 10th, 2018 by ShinyUmbreon189.
                ShinyUmbreon189's Avatar
                ShinyUmbreon189 ShinyUmbreon189 is offline
                VLONE coming soon
                   
                  Join Date: Mar 2012
                  Location: Chicago
                  Age: 26
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Relaxed
                  Posts: 1,422
                  Here's a video that goes well into this discussion. This is abuse of powers by a cop and you can tell the cop didn't wanna hear what the dude was saying cause it's the truth. The cop knows he ****ed up but can't admit it. This happened all the time I'm sure. But the guy makes some really strong points.

                  Forgot how to put video here

                  https://youtu.be/i3Z02DelCmk
                  __________________
                  Reply With Quote
                    #13    
                  Old August 18th, 2018 (5:01 AM).
                  VisionofMilotic's Avatar
                  VisionofMilotic VisionofMilotic is offline
                  Mother of Dragons
                   
                  Join Date: May 2016
                  Location: Sootopolis City
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Gentle
                  Posts: 1,982
                  This is terrible and heart-breaking. I pray for justice, not another paid leave of absence, quiet discreet dismissal or show trial and acquittal. This crap has been going on for way too long.

                  Have you ever heard of the story of Henry Davis? Davis was arrested by the police because they confused him with another wanted man with a similar name. Differing social security numbers and middle revealed that the police had the wrong man, yet this innocent person was tossed into an overcrowded jail cell with nowhere to sleep but on a cement floor. He complied with the police completely. When he pleaded for at least a sleeping mat, his basic human right even as a prisoner, the officers stormed his cell, angry that he woke them up at 3:00 am in the morning and beat him to a bloody pulp. After these thugs put him in the hospital the police sued Davis for bleeding on their uniforms as they stomped him, calling the stains from his blood destruction of their property! Read the sources if you don't believe this can happen in our democracy.

                  https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-day-ferguson-cops-were-caught-in-a-bloody-lie

                  I have seen a video of a police officer punch a pregnant woman in the stomach for laughing at him, a teenage girl swung around by the hair like something out of Matilda when a cop thought she had an attitude, a child tasered to the floor in Victoria's Secret because she cried while watching her mother being arrested for an upaid parking ticket. I heard of a little boy shot through the heart for playing with a toy gun in the park, a gay entertainer dogpiled and tortured at a party by drunken off-duty cops because the cops claimed he was a thief with no evidence, a woman ordered on the side of the road one dark night to raise her shirt, lift her bra and shake her breasts when a cop pulled her over for a broken headlight, an immigrant gunned down with 40 bullets by cops for presenting his identification! In every one of these circumstances no serious consequences were faced by the bad apples who were drunken on their own power.

                  I am not against the police, but when we see brutality like Armaldo's story we can't sweep it under the rug, and must demand punishment. No matter how hard the job of being a cop is, nobody is above the law, especially the people who are supposed to be enforcing it. Its our responsibility not to let the justice system become corrupt. The police have to be treated like everyone else, they are just people, some good and some bad. Accountability and responsibility.
                  __________________
                  I got Haxorus on "What Dragon-Type Pokemon are you?" https://quotev.com/quiz/5077163



                  Name: Narcissus
                  Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                  Reply With Quote
                    #14    
                  Old August 20th, 2018 (11:31 PM).
                  Hands's Avatar
                  Hands Hands is offline
                  I was saying Boo-urns
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2016
                  Age: 28
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 1,690
                  The US police started as a racist institution formed to round up escaped slaves. It's not surprising that they continue to be bully boys and murderers for the rich. Arguably they're a little less racist these days, in the sense that they kill and abuse unarmed white people now as well.
                  __________________

                  Reply With Quote
                    #15    
                  Old August 21st, 2018 (7:27 AM).
                  Nah's Avatar
                  Nah Nah is online now
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2013
                  Age: 26
                  Gender: Female
                  Posts: 12,680
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Hands View Post
                  The US police started as a racist institution formed to round up escaped slaves. It's not surprising that they continue to be bully boys and murderers for the rich. Arguably they're a little less racist these days, in the sense that they kill and abuse unarmed white people now as well.
                  Source?
                  __________________
                  Nah ンン
                  “No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."
                  Reply With Quote
                    #16    
                  Old August 21st, 2018 (1:24 PM).
                  Hands's Avatar
                  Hands Hands is offline
                  I was saying Boo-urns
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2016
                  Age: 28
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 1,690
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Nah View Post
                  Source?
                  http://time.com/4779112/police-history-origins/

                  The US police started as private enterprise, in the south they were almost exclusively fielded to chase down escaped slaves. In the north they done this to a lesser degree but still mostly worked for the rich
                  Reply With Quote
                    #17    
                  Old August 21st, 2018 (2:42 PM).
                  ShinyUmbreon189's Avatar
                  ShinyUmbreon189 ShinyUmbreon189 is offline
                  VLONE coming soon
                     
                    Join Date: Mar 2012
                    Location: Chicago
                    Age: 26
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Relaxed
                    Posts: 1,422
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Hands View Post
                    The US police started as a racist institution formed to round up escaped slaves. It's not surprising that they continue to be bully boys and murderers for the rich. Arguably they're a little less racist these days, in the sense that they kill and abuse unarmed white people now as well.
                    I'm sure it's just more to harass and collect than to protect and serve. i respect police cause lots are actually good people and want to help their community but there's a handful of cops that make the force look like the biggest gang in America with their "I'm above the law cause I got a badge" mentality and this is a result in abuse of powers/police brutality. Most of the incidents are usually younger officers that don't use proper training and or they just want to stir the pot. The system has never been about seeking justice cause it's all a huge profit scheme for them. I mean, there's a reason why so many officers are getting shot on duty nowadays. They target the ghetto cause most are minorities and those people are dodging bullets as is, they don't need police all in their business as well. It's even gotten to the point where if you're black in general officers feel a need to have their weapon drawn. It's gonna get to a point where it's gonna be full blown war zone if this keeps up. America has been psyducked and they're just getting deeper and deeper into trouble.
                    __________________
                    Reply With Quote
                      #18    
                    Old August 22nd, 2018 (9:25 PM).
                    Hands's Avatar
                    Hands Hands is offline
                    I was saying Boo-urns
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2016
                    Age: 28
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 1,690
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
                    I'm sure it's just more to harass and collect than to protect and serve. i respect police cause lots are actually good people and want to help their community but there's a handful of cops that make the force look like the biggest gang in America with their "I'm above the law cause I got a badge" mentality and this is a result in abuse of powers/police brutality. Most of the incidents are usually younger officers that don't use proper training and or they just want to stir the pot. The system has never been about seeking justice cause it's all a huge profit scheme for them. I mean, there's a reason why so many officers are getting shot on duty nowadays. They target the ghetto cause most are minorities and those people are dodging bullets as is, they don't need police all in their business as well. It's even gotten to the point where if you're black in general officers feel a need to have their weapon drawn. It's gonna get to a point where it's gonna be full blown war zone if this keeps up. America has been psyducked and they're just getting deeper and deeper into trouble.

                    It's why they have arrest quotas and why they're running entrapment schemes like leaving a truck full of desirable shoes open and unattended in an economically impoverished area in front of a bunch of economically deprived kids. They need to fill the private for profit prisons.
                    Reply With Quote
                      #19    
                    Old August 22nd, 2018 (9:45 PM). Edited August 22nd, 2018 by ShinyUmbreon189.
                    ShinyUmbreon189's Avatar
                    ShinyUmbreon189 ShinyUmbreon189 is offline
                    VLONE coming soon
                       
                      Join Date: Mar 2012
                      Location: Chicago
                      Age: 26
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Relaxed
                      Posts: 1,422
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Hands View Post
                      It's why they have arrest quotas and why they're running entrapment schemes like leaving a truck full of desirable shoes open and unattended in an economically impoverished area in front of a bunch of economically deprived kids. They need to fill the private for profit prisons.
                      Exactly. This is just my inner "conspiracy theorist" trait as many claim on here coming Out except it falls in my favor this time. I'm sure we both recall when and why the war on drugs was implemented. It was a profit scheme to target poverty and in most cases this affects the minorities more than people think. The police know there's lots of narcotics in rough neighborhoods, they even got their "go to" locations which is their hot spots. Cause think about it. In These areas lots are a buyer or supplier and when it comes to narcotics especially controlled substances they can be hit with felonies for 'using' even go to prison for being an user. Felons lose rights and prison is basically a legal way of slavery, hence why a majority of the inmates are 'black' and the highest incarceration crime is 'drugs'. Congratulations America for having the highest incarceration rate on the globe and making it so obvious yet so many are completely oblivious to this. Then on top of that they invest in big pharma and this put prescription pills in the streets, which leads to heroin addiction if you take opiates. The arrests for drugs in general is just ridiculous. This is why many officers use the "smells like cannabis" line when lots of the time they just say it cause the victim at this point really has no Other choice than to follow orders. Even if it doesn't smell like cannabis.
                      __________________
                      Reply With Quote
                        #20    
                      Old August 22nd, 2018 (11:16 PM).
                      Hands's Avatar
                      Hands Hands is offline
                      I was saying Boo-urns
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2016
                      Age: 28
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 1,690
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
                      Exactly. This is just my inner "conspiracy theorist" trait as many claim on here coming Out except it falls in my favor this time. I'm sure we both recall when and why the war on drugs was implemented. It was a profit scheme to target poverty and in most cases this affects the minorities more than people think. The police know there's lots of narcotics in rough neighborhoods, they even got their "go to" locations which is their hot spots. Cause think about it. In These areas lots are a buyer or supplier and when it comes to narcotics especially controlled substances they can be hit with felonies for 'using' even go to prison for being an user. Felons lose rights and prison is basically a legal way of slavery, hence why a majority of the inmates are 'black' and the highest incarceration crime is 'drugs'. Congratulations America for having the highest incarceration rate on the globe and making it so obvious yet so many are completely oblivious to this. Then on top of that they invest in big pharma and this put prescription pills in the streets, which leads to heroin addiction if you take opiates. The arrests for drugs in general is just ridiculous. This is why many officers use the "smells like cannabis" line when lots of the time they just say it cause the victim at this point really has no Other choice than to follow orders. Even if it doesn't smell like cannabis.
                      Oh absolutely, the war on drugs cannot be won and it was never designed to be won. It's a constant flow of what essentially becomes slave labor. You're completely on the ball about it being designed to target minorities too. Men of Colour face far harsher sentencing for drug related 'crime' than their white counterparts. But again, its all for profit. It always has been. It's why the second "unite the right" march (that was literally just white supremacists as opposed to regular republicans or whatever, like 30 people showed up lol) had a private police escort to protect them whereas peaceful protesters against corporations can expect tear gas, batons and water cannons.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #21    
                      Old September 9th, 2018 (6:24 AM).
                      VisionofMilotic's Avatar
                      VisionofMilotic VisionofMilotic is offline
                      Mother of Dragons
                       
                      Join Date: May 2016
                      Location: Sootopolis City
                      Gender: Female
                      Nature: Gentle
                      Posts: 1,982
                      It may add to this discussion to note that we have another tragic case of an innocent man shot and killed because of an officer's lack of judgment. Mr. Jean was a young, successful African-American businessman who appears to have been beloved in his community. He was fatally attacked by a policewoman who entered the wrong home. The name of the officer was witheld from this article, but she claimed that she thought she was in her home, and killed him because she thought he was a burglar. The reality was that Mr. Jean was in his own home, and she had broken into *his* house and ended up murdering her own neighbor.

                      The Jean family is devestated, keep them in your thoughts or prayers.

                      https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/09/07/us/dallas-police-shooting-botham-shem-jean.amp.html
                      __________________
                      I got Haxorus on "What Dragon-Type Pokemon are you?" https://quotev.com/quiz/5077163



                      Name: Narcissus
                      Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                      Reply With Quote
                        #22    
                      Old September 9th, 2018 (10:57 AM).
                      BronzeHeart92's Avatar
                      BronzeHeart92 BronzeHeart92 is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Jun 2017
                        Location: Finland
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Bold
                        Posts: 166
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by VisionofMilotic View Post
                        It may add to this discussion to note that we have another tragic case of an innocent man shot and killed because of an officer's lack of judgment. Mr. Jean was a young, successful African-American businessman who appears to have been beloved in his community. He was fatally attacked by a policewoman who entered the wrong home. The name of the officer was witheld from this article, but she claimed that she thought she was in her home, and killed him because she thought he was a burglar. The reality was that Mr. Jean was in his own home, and she had broken into *his* house and ended up murdering her own neighbor.

                        The Jean family is devestated, keep them in your thoughts or prayers.

                        https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/09/07/us/dallas-police-shooting-botham-shem-jean.amp.html
                        Geez, as if you needed yet another reason to DEMAND a change in US's police culture...
                        Reply With Quote
                          #23    
                        Old September 9th, 2018 (1:36 PM).
                        LDSman LDSman is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Dec 2017
                          Posts: 94
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by BronzeHeart92 View Post
                          Geez, as if you needed yet another reason to DEMAND a change in US's police culture...
                          That death wasn’t an example of “police culture”. Being a police officer had nothing to do with the shooting.
                          Reply With Quote
                            #24    
                          Old September 10th, 2018 (4:06 AM).
                          Hands's Avatar
                          Hands Hands is offline
                          I was saying Boo-urns
                           
                          Join Date: Aug 2016
                          Age: 28
                          Gender: Male
                          Posts: 1,690
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by LDSman View Post
                          That death wasn’t an example of “police culture”. Being a police officer had nothing to do with the shooting.
                          I mean, the shoot first ask later mantra that many, many cops have is absolutely at fault here. Although it sounds pretty fishy to me.
                          Reply With Quote
                            #25    
                          Old September 10th, 2018 (4:36 AM).
                          LDSman LDSman is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Dec 2017
                            Posts: 94
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Hands View Post
                            I mean, the shoot first ask later mantra that many, many cops have is absolutely at fault here. Although it sounds pretty fishy to me.
                            This scenario could have happened to any person coming home late. You walk into “your” likely dark apartment and an intruder attacks you. You defend yourself and end up killing the intruder. When you turn on the lights you find out it’s not “your” apartment. Nothing to do with being a cop.

                            I want to know how the door opened. If her key worked, that lends credence to her claim. Was the apartment the same door number as hers? Lot of apartment hallways look like. Tired person could have walked on autopilot to the correct door but wrong floor. 455 instead of 555.
                            Reply With Quote
                            Reply

                            Quick Reply

                            Join the conversation!

                            Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                            Create a PokéCommunity Account
                            Thread Tools

                            Posting Rules
                            You may not post new threads
                            You may not post replies
                            You may not post attachments
                            You may not edit your posts

                            BB code is On
                            Smilies are On
                            [IMG] code is On
                            HTML code is Off
                            Minimum Characters Per Post: 25

                            Forum Jump


                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:45 AM.