The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Deep Discussion
Debate Police brutality in the USA

Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old 1 Week Ago (5:12 AM).

Nature: Bold
    http://beforeitsnews.com/v3/alternative/2018/3630726.html

Kinda weird turn of events to be honest. Hopefully these 'aberrant' cops got what they deserved in the end though...

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (10:51 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Trev.

Nature: Sassy
    I recommend pulling the sources from websites that don't use biased language like "sadly."

Regardless, this is not surprising to me. Cops have been so unreasonably aggressive these past few years that I'm not even slightly surprised that something like this happened. Saddened, for sure. People don't deserve to get treated this way and it's completely unprofessional.

Old 1 Week Ago (12:21 PM).

hi my name is Nah and I'm a pretentious cunt and edited the thread title so we can try to morph this thread into one about the the general topic the initial article is related to--the apparent often use of arguably excessive force by police in the USA in the past several years
    Old 1 Week Ago (3:08 PM).
    Pokemon Trainer and Ghostbuster

Nature: Careful
      While there are some grey areas at times and some instances where undeniable proof was presented that the suspect had been threating, I believe that nobody should be above the law.

Oh wait, that's me. :wink-right-eye:
      Old 1 Week Ago (3:23 PM).

Nature: Adamant
      Is there a cause to this? Is it lack of training? Maybe the training program for police needs an overhaul?

I am all that you see,
      I am all that you want me to be
      Old 1 Week Ago (3:25 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by LDSman.

The correct response to being told that you have an arrest warrant is to comply with the commands and ask for a lawyer before answering any questions by the police. The cops aren’t going to take the chance that your “passive resistance” will stay passive.
        Old 1 Week Ago (4:07 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Raven View Post
          Is there a cause to this? Is it lack of training? Maybe the training program for police needs an overhaul?
          I believe that lack of training could account for a majority of cases, but there could be other problems such as steroid abuse, a lack of oversight, the difficulty in indicting an officer for crimes and in some possible cases, discrimination within the force.

Old 1 Week Ago (5:47 PM).

No excuse for beating up civilians. These guys are just corrupt
            Old 1 Week Ago (9:07 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Trev.

Nature: Sassy
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by TheGhostHunter View Post
            While there are some grey areas at times and some instances where undeniable proof was presented that the suspect had been threating, I believe that nobody should be above the law.
            And where exactly did this person act as if he was above law? The only people acting like they’re above the law were the officers who tried to perform a search without a warrant. (EDIT: I realized that your statement was probably geared more towards criticizing the officers, so ignore this if that’s what you were saying lol i’m tired)

Quote:
            Originally Posted by LDSman View Post
            The correct response to being told that you have an arrest warrant is to comply with the commands and ask for a lawyer before answering any questions by the police. The cops aren’t going to take the chance that your “passive resistance” will stay passive.
            People have been tased/shot even when they complied with officers. Maybe the officers should act like the trained professionals they’re supposed to be and not lash out with unnecessary violence when the situation doesn’t call for it.

Old 1 Week Ago (4:18 AM).

Nature: Bold
              Keep in mind that over here in Finland the police is a rather respected institution.
              Old 1 Week Ago (6:42 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Trev View Post
                And where exactly did this person act as if he was above law? The only people acting like they’re above the law were the officers who tried to perform a search without a warrant. (EDIT: I realized that your statement was probably geared more towards criticizing the officers, so ignore this if that’s what you were saying lol i’m tired)

What I mean by acting above the law is not only flouting internal procedures and breaking laws with the low possibility of indictment.

People have been tased/shot even when they complied with officers. Maybe the officers should act like the trained professionals they’re supposed to be and not lash out with unnecessary violence when the situation doesn’t call for it.
                That is what I pointed out by a lack of training, steroid abuse within the force and possible internal discrimination.

Old 1 Week Ago (8:03 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by ShinyUmbreon189.
                VLONE coming soon

Nature: Relaxed
                  Here's a video that goes well into this discussion. This is abuse of powers by a cop and you can tell the cop didn't wanna hear what the dude was saying cause it's the truth. The cop knows he ****ed up but can't admit it. This happened all the time I'm sure. But the guy makes some really strong points.

Forgot how to put video here

https://youtu.be/i3Z02DelCmk
                  Old 2 Days Ago (5:01 AM).

Nature: Serious
                    This is terrible and heart-breaking. I pray for justice, not another paid leave of absence, quiet discreet dismissal or show trial and acquittal. This crap has been going on for way too long.

Have you ever heard of the story of Henry Davis? Davis was arrested by the police because they confused him with another wanted man with a similar name. Differing social security numbers and middle revealed that the police had the wrong man, yet this innocent person was tossed into an overcrowded jail cell with nowhere to sleep but on a cement floor. He complied with the police completely. When he pleaded for at least a sleeping mat, his basic human right even as a prisoner, the officers stormed his cell, angry that he woke them up at 3:00 am in the morning and beat him to a bloody pulp. After these thugs put him in the hospital the police sued Davis for bleeding on their uniforms as they stomped him, calling the stains from his blood destruction of their property! Read the sources if you don't believe this can happen in our democracy.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-day-ferguson-cops-were-caught-in-a-bloody-lie

I have seen a video of a police officer punch a pregnant woman in the stomach for laughing at him, a teenage girl swung around by the hair like something out of Matilda when a cop thought she had an attitude, a child tasered to the floor in Victoria's Secret because she cried while watching her mother being arrested for an upaid parking ticket. I heard of a little boy shot through the heart for playing with a toy gun in the park, a gay entertainer dogpiled and tortured at a party by drunken off-duty cops because the cops claimed he was a thief with no evidence, a woman ordered on the side of the road one dark night to raise her shirt, lift her bra and shake her breasts when a cop pulled her over for a broken headlight, an immigrant gunned down with 40 bullets by cops for presenting his identification! In every one of these circumstances no serious consequences were faced by the bad apples who were drunken on their own power.

I am not against the police, but when we see brutality like Armaldo's story we can't sweep it under the rug, and must demand punishment. No matter how hard the job of being a cop is, nobody is above the law, especially the people who are supposed to be enforcing it. Its our responsibility not to let the justice system become corrupt. The police have to be treated like everyone else, they are just people, some good and some bad. Accountability and responsibility.

Name: Narcissus
                    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Quick Reply