The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: General Discussions Pokémon Trading Card Game
Are Pokemon Cards as good as they used to be?

Pokémon Trading Card Game The forum for the Pokémon TCG and Pokemon TCG Online. Post your deck to get rated, rate other decks, ask questions, talk about strategy, etc.

Old 5 Days Ago (2:49 AM).
Matt
    TCGO:

Im in my 20s now and remember Pokemon and YuGiOh cards were my childhood and very very popular back at school. Every break and lunch we played pokemon battles and traded cards. I treasured my cards and still have some great cards from back in the day, such as Mewtwo and Shaymin and some Team Galactic Level Xs

My question today (will likely only apply to those that have collected the cards for many years) is are the cards still as good quality as they used to be perhaps 10 - 15 years ago?

I bought a pack of Sun and Moon cards last year and wasn't amazed by the shine of the holo card, it looked a bit like a fake from a retailer abroad, I also got a double in a pack.
    Many years ago the holo cards were really good quality, quite sturdy and looked like they'd be worth quite a bit in the future. Now I look at my crabbrawler card its slightly shiny all over but doesn't look amazing

Does anyone else think cards arent as great as they used to be? I look at some of my "star" cards now and compare them to the star cards from many years ago and the older ones look the best

Relevant Advertising!

Old 5 Days Ago (5:07 AM). Edited 5 Days Ago by Aduitt.
    Socially Inept
      TCGO: Aduitt

Nature: Bashful
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Game-Station-Forum View Post
      Im in my 20s now and remember Pokemon and YuGiOh cards were my childhood and very very popular back at school. Every break and lunch we played pokemon battles and traded cards. I treasured my cards and still have some great cards from back in the day, such as Mewtwo and Shaymin and some Team Galactic Level Xs

My question today (will likely only apply to those that have collected the cards for many years) is are the cards still as good quality as they used to be perhaps 10 - 15 years ago?

I bought a pack of Sun and Moon cards last year and wasn't amazed by the shine of the holo card, it looked a bit like a fake from a retailer abroad, I also got a double in a pack.
      Many years ago the holo cards were really good quality, quite sturdy and looked like they'd be worth quite a bit in the future. Now I look at my crabbrawler card its slightly shiny all over but doesn't look amazing

Does anyone else think cards arent as great as they used to be? I look at some of my "star" cards now and compare them to the star cards from many years ago and the older ones look the best
      From what I gather, Pokémon has made the rarities near obsolete.
      Pokémon has made each card low in cost by making multiple rarities in each set. This makes the game incredibly player friendly and allows people new to the game have access to the same cards an older player would for a cheap price.
      This differs from early 2000's Pokémon where there was only one rarity/printing for each card and thus the better the card the higher the price.

Games such as YuGiOh on the other hand make it hard for people to build decks/even play the game without breaking the bank; that's one of the reasons I left.

I do admit however that it would be awesome to see some cooler foils as time goes on.
      Old 5 Days Ago (5:35 AM).
      TCGO: donavannj

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Game-Station-Forum View Post
      That's because the "star" rarity cards aren't the pack movers anymore. There are rarities that are rarer than that, which are classified as "Ultra Rare", "Hyper Rare", and "Secret Rare", though these are all still denoted with just stars in the corner of the card. The way you can tell them apart is the card type they are, like Ultra Rares are usually non-full art EX or GX cards. Hyper Rares are full-art cards in general and maybe rainbow rares (full arts with a rainbow color to them, though I think these might technically be Secret Rares)? And then the Secret Rares are the gold full art cards.

Quick Reply