• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Famicom aka. Nintendo Entertainment System (NES™) Discussion Thread

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Oh, do you guys remember the Power Glove?

Spoiler:

Cause yeaaaah those were the days that we were playing with power!

Nintendo sure had some crazy ideas, too bad most of them failed. I only know about those featured in that AVGN video about NES accessories.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Does anyone remember the NES Power Pad?

890094-nes_power_pad.jpg

It's like a Twister pad, but, you know, it works for video games. You can stomp your feet on it and it can move characters around. It was... tiresome but kind of cool, IMO. XD

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I think I remember seeing one in a Flea Market, but, that's about it. You really don't see stuff like that anymore. Well, I don't think it's hard to imagine why, but, still.

How about the NES Konami Laser Scope?

images

This is like the Zapper, but, it's voice controlled. Ironically, it was supposed to be for the convince of the people around you, because there are headphones for you to play the game quietly, but, you'd have to keep saying "FIRE! FIRE!" to make the thing work, so, it sort of defeats that purpose. @_@ You can play shooting games like Duck Hunt.

Last edited:
Years
Oh, do you guys remember the Power Glove?

Spoiler:

Cause yeaaaah those were the days that we were playing with power!
I remember that thing! I was still pretty young when my parents bought one. I just remember being entirely dissatisfied with it, since I thought I'd be able to do awesome things with it - and then I tried playing SMB with it and yeah that didn't work out so well. :I Mario why won't you jump?!

I still have my old NES - well, my parents still have it. Or maybe they do, not sure what they've done with some stuff since I left. But it doesn't work. Something blew on it years ago (I was playing Startropics at the time it happened!), it got cleaned out/fixed but lacked a power cord, and when I finally did buy a replacement cord it wouldn't turn on ever again. :( Sad times.

At least with playing NES games through other ways, I don't have to deal with the cartridges anymore. I think half my time playing the NES was actually spent just trying to blow dust out of the system and/or cleaning the cartridges. Or maybe I just had really dirty games, I have no idea.

(I remember the power pad, I had the light gun, but holy crap I never ever saw that headset or the knitting thing. lol what.)

Years
I owned a NES breifly in my teenage years. It actually came with 2 Zappers, which was pretty boss. I owned Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, Final Fantasy, Mario 2, Mario 3, Dr. Mario, and All Unser Jr.'s Turbo Racing, which was actually a lot of fun :). I've of course played countless other Nes Titles, and own Virtual Console/Colletions Edtions of NES games.

http://nesguide.com/games/al-unser-jrs-turbo-racing/

Castlevania is probably my favorite NES era title.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I only remember using the power glove for Super Mario Bros. XD And yeah, it didn't go out that well! Although, I thought that I was doing something wrong at the time, hence why I didn't throw the Power Glove away or something like that. Although, at the time, the controller was still working perfectly, so, yes, I managed to piece it all together that the Power Glove doesn't work, or... it was defective or something.

KriegStein said:
Yeah I remember that ridiculous headthing. Im glad we never bought it. Hmm I actualy have my nes here somewhere still.

Ugh, yeah, my parents didn't buy it either. XD I thought it looked cool at the time, but, as I understood, it was sort of tedious to wear around, and well, it just plain sucked. :|

Sylphiel said:
I remember that thing! I was still pretty young when my parents bought one. I just remember being entirely dissatisfied with it, since I thought I'd be able to do awesome things with it - and then I tried playing SMB with it and yeah that didn't work out so well. :I Mario why won't you jump?!

I still have my old NES - well, my parents still have it. Or maybe they do, not sure what they've done with some stuff since I left. But it doesn't work. Something blew on it years ago (I was playing Startropics at the time it happened!), it got cleaned out/fixed but lacked a power cord, and when I finally did buy a replacement cord it wouldn't turn on ever again. :( Sad times.

At least with playing NES games through other ways, I don't have to deal with the cartridges anymore. I think half my time playing the NES was actually spent just trying to blow dust out of the system and/or cleaning the cartridges. Or maybe I just had really dirty games, I have no idea.

(I remember the power pad, I had the light gun, but holy crap I never ever saw that headset or the knitting thing. lol what.)

Yeah, nowadays, I use an emulator on this computer to play all of my old NES games. I think the problem with my old NES is that the plug-ins doesn't work all that well anymore. It just barely reads my old NES games, and well, ultimately, I didn't remember how it was generally a pain to get all of the plugs together, and hook it up to the television, only to realize that it doesn't work... ugh.

In any case, those NES accessories are getting very rare nowadays, and they came in limited quantities, so, it's not really a surprise that you might not of seen them before. Even I didn't remember half of these accessories, until now. @__@;;

Speaking of which, this was something that was developed by LJN; the Roll and Rocker:

rock1285517557.jpg

The Roll & Rocker required you to stand on and tilt your body as a substitute for d-pad movement. You could then press the A and B buttons on the NES controller to fully control the character. Uh, bare in mind, I use that last sentence lightly, because there was really no control, just constant ball-punching. Also, it was really a safety hazard. Because yeah, there was no joy if kids fell off this thing, injuring themselves. :(

This thing didn't even work for the LJN games, WHICH BY THE WAY, LJN developed really, really, terrible games for the NES, imo. For example there was the Uncanny X-Men. It was... a confusing game to play.

Ugh, okay, let me be real. Personally, it was one of those games that wasted one of the weekends of my childhood. I can keep rambling about LJN, but, if you've ever played one of the LJN games for the NES, you'll probably know where I'm coming from. :(

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Hahahaha, I remember that! "KNOW THAT YOUR KNITTING WITH POWER!" Was it supposed to come with a knitting game? Or... what exactly was it good for? XD
I imagine it would've been to show off the capabilities of the hardware, so honestly little to do with consumers.
I wouldn't know, but I'd guess knitting was an easy task to program.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I remember seeing the Rock N Roller. That looks so incredibly dangerous tbh. Imagine if you were juuuuuuust too heavy and as soon as you got balanced, you snapped it in half.

Then somehow it enters the Konami code and you are sent to gamers heaven.

That, or you can easily fall off and hurt yourself. It has happened before. :(

Ummm another NES accessory was the speedboard:

speedboard1285517060.jpg

Look, to be honest? This thing was god awful. You can easily get a turbo NES controller instead of this... piece of plastic. Plus, playing the NES controller with this thing was just... awkward. XD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
omg are we talking about accessories? The only relevant one should be the Zapper. Those other ones are a hot mess, though I heard the piano/keyboard was actually pretty decent, even though there's only one game for it. The Guitar Hero before Guitar Hero? lol

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
omg are we talking about accessories? The only relevant one should be the Zapper. Those other ones are a hot mess, though I heard the piano/keyboard was actually pretty decent, even though there's only one game for it. The Guitar Hero before Guitar Hero? lol

Yeah, I heard that you can shoot ducks with it. :O There was also a game featuring R.O.B where you can't make him fall. :(

Honestly, while the majority of these NES accessories were pretty generally bad, they were.. quite entertaining to find all about them at first. XD But, they made them way to hyped up for their own good. :(

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
tumblr_lq9emwxitn1qlhbh7o1_500.jpg

I don't have this. But I do have the SuperNES version. I cannot figure out a use for it XD It makes everything so clunky.

Probably for fighters, but I don't have any

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Ah, the NES Advantage. It's for games that you have to repeatedly press "A" or "B". They have a, extra button that when pushed down, the NES would recognize that as having "A" or "B" being repeatedly pressed.

Also there was this one, the NES Max:
250px-NES-Max-Controller.jpg

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
So maybe for Shmup?

The Cycloid or whatever the control pad there on the Max was called is kinda interesting. I didn't think there were much of a need for 8-direction play until the Game Boy.

Did anyone have the revised NES?

640px-NES-101-Console-Set.jpg

I have a memory of actually seen one in a store when I was younger. Is the back of the controller shaped like the SNES? Or rather the Super Famicom, which was padded and not flat

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
^ I remember that console, but, my parents never bought it for me, because our old NES worked perfectly. But, I've seen it before on separate occasions.

That actually reminds me of this thing:

nt2_top.jpg

The Nin-Toaster. It was, literally, a console. And it worked. XD

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I do like the the remodel was top-loading because it lets you look at the cover art. But, the rest of it doesn't scream NES to me

tabor62

Years
I really want the top loading NES, no lock chip problems so you can play PAL games on it too. I also like the dog bone controllers better too. Fit better in your hand than the original rectangular ones. Though the console and controllers are rarer and more expensive than the original ;.;

The Nin Toaster is a fan made mod though, but still pretty cool.

tabor62

Years
There was no Internet to look up stuff on (gasp, shock, horror). Also, anyone still have the really early issues of Nintendo Power?

Back