• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Public Service Announcement

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2018
um
is there an actual, comprehensive css guide on here that like goes through easy and accessible post styles as reference for other people? otherwise anybody could point out super minor pet peeves like this in this way.......

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
um
is there an actual, comprehensive css guide on here that like goes through easy and accessible post styles as reference for other people? otherwise anybody could point out super minor pet peeves like this in this way.......
There's a very simple guide here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7509388&postcount=58 which you could find from the guides section in the RP rules thread.

There is also this: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200899 Which is more comprehensive aaaaand possibly outdated lol. Maybe I can make him update it...

Years
um

The difference between this and a pet peeve is that this makes it impossible, without copy/pasting text into a text document (which also ruins formatting), to read posts. Which, I think we can all agree, not being able to read something is an issue.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2018
The difference between this and a pet peeve is that this makes it impossible, without copy/pasting text into a text document (which also ruins formatting), to read posts. Which, I think we can all agree, not being able to read something is an issue.

lol or just do the shortcut key for 'highlight all' (ctrl+a / command+a) in the meantime, bruv

but the point i'm trying to make is i think a way more effective way of going about an inconvenience is 1. an actual comprehensive guide that people can actively promote and be referred to and 2. dealing with it as it comes.

maybe i should just make an updated one and get some real opinion from people who know how it works on here

i just think this thread would later be an example for a roundabout way of going '[GUIDE] hey ppl y'all need to put some actual padding in ur css like at LEAST 10px kthnx' like.... it'll get petty real quick lmfao

don't get it twisted tho, i'm just flagging

Years
lol or just do the shortcut key for 'highlight all' (ctrl+a / command+a) in the meantime, bruv

but the point i'm trying to make is i think a way more effective way of going about an inconvenience is 1. an actual comprehensive guide that people can actively promote and be referred to and 2. dealing with it as it comes.

maybe i should just make an updated one and get some real opinion from people who know how it works on here

i just think this thread would later be an example for a roundabout way of going '[GUIDE] hey ppl y'all need to put some actual padding in ur css like at LEAST 10px kthnx' like.... it'll get petty real quick lmfao

don't get it twisted tho, i'm just flagging

Highlighting may work with a really short post, although it really is hard to read white on bright blue anyway, but using the scroll on my mouse un-highlights everything so...

Anyway if you're css savvy enough to add a background you should know how to change text color. So a guide on how css works wouldn't really solve this issue. It could definitely help people learn about css though so that would be neat to see those guides updated.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2018
Highlighting may work with a really short post, although it really is hard to read white on bright blue anyway, but using the scroll on my mouse un-highlights everything so...

Anyway if you're css savvy enough to add a background you should know how to change text color. So a guide on how css works wouldn't really solve this issue. It could definitely help people learn about css though so that would be neat to see those guides updated.

i'm not gonna contest a personal problem like that so i'll leave you to it, fam.

that's also assuming the people who make this mistake always made their css from scratch. it doesn't take into account peeps who copied and fiddled with a css template by another user (im def sure people who didn't know about css before this site just quoted somebody's post and went from there), and even then, not everybody who does it fully understands junk like different selectors and attribute.

educating people... would solve the issue, like then and there, and it'd act like a preventative measure too, tbf. i'll just make a legit guide now so there's something to actually show for people who wanna try to learn so little passive stuff like this doesn't need to be. finito

Years
tfw a humorous reminder about something small sparks a debate.

There are CSS guides (and template threads) both in the RPT and elsewhere on PC. There's not a shortage of resources and this is hardly a pet peeve of mine since I'm guilty of the mistake too.

This was just a friendly reminder to people that nobody can read your posts under those conditions. That's all. We don't need to make anything out of it.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 28, 2018
this post is just discussing the few guides linked:

i appreciate the links provided and they do provide information, but i feel like there are some things (in that guide, kitty, as my next example) that are unnecessarily imposing ("You must ALWAYS ensure that your design fits your character's personality") ... like... lol? a design is just a design and if someone wants to be indicative, deceptive, or basic about it in representing their character (or not!), that's their privilege, like some people just use css to center and contain a post, nothing else added. i've no right to say that's "boring" or imply it's "inelegant" in a guide. css is just a wrap for the gift of content, and the content is where you should derive any solid character info from. everyone approaches the impression of css different. what should matter for css is function and accessibility first, ya dig?

i'm gonna try and go about it in a clean, directional way and give room for expression. i'm not trying to daunt people how to think aesthetic like me, i'm trying to give them the basics and foundation and any pointers are gonna be in consideration of accessibility for others and customization for the self. and whatever else pops up that i'll weigh as i write it, lol

i want my guide to be demonstrative so i'm not just listing a bunch of possible elements for a selector, or a string of code and explaining like 'i added a bunch of extra stuff in this next step so quote my single giant text wall post n see what i did!' i don't think that's engaging, so i'm going to try my best to strike a balance.

but i'm done with this topic since there's seriously nothing else to contribute. i've got my resolve tho.

((( If anybody who feels like they have a grasp of how to do CSS coding (through the forum's BBCode) - moderately or extensively - and they want to share some concerns and tips or offer to be a reference as I make my guide, please contact me in private! )))

I just want a more uniform, on-site point of ref for inexperienced people who wanna try their hand at CSS so pointy topics like this don't have to be a thing. Maybe some of y'all in the style game will learn some new things too from other contributors when I get around to compiling t all together!

Years
I just want a more uniform, on-site point of ref for inexperienced people who wanna try their hand at CSS so pointy topics like this don't have to be a thing. Maybe some of y'all in the style game will learn some new things too from other contributors when I get around to compiling t all together!

Go for it ^_^

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
And here I am, alone in wishing people would use less css in their posts ahhaha. I miss the days when simple text was the norm. Oh, so easy on the eyes.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
And here I am, alone in wishing people would use less css in their posts ahhaha. I miss the days when simple text was the norm. Oh, so easy on the eyes.

Gross! Plain text makes me want to puke though.

And it's your themes that break it, that's your problem not mine. #RESIST
Wait my boyfriend is the one person I do want to actually be able to read my stuff. Ugh why.

Back