• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

that guy [TCTI v 8]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

The first two Golden Sun games (for the Gameboy Advance) hold up even after all these years

Same goes for Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission

Dark Dawn wasn't that bad either...IF IT WASN'T FOR THE UNSKIPPABLE TEN MINUTE OPENING

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years

Speaking of Metroid, am I the only one, who got very excited for a new Metroid only for it to be Xenoblade Chronicles X, during the Nintendo Digital Event? I'm happy yet sad.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Eh, agree to disagree. From the experience I've gained coding as a career, assuming anything will be fast/easy from the perspective of an outsider is almost always misguided. Everything looks easy and quick until you have to actually do it.
Well I don't know if it'd be easy or fast, especially not now. Mainly because, as previously stated, they don't have anything to work off of. What's more, nowadays there are so many Pokemon, types, moves, split, and a combination of all of those, it would be far more difficult to even frame how such an algorithm would be made than if they'd at least started working on that in, say, Generation 1 or 2. I'd imagine it'd take years, especially working alongside the development of more Pokemon and moves (and features).

And I do understand what you're saying. Not a professional coder myself, just a Sophomore currently. Of course, I wouldn't really compare what I do to what you do, they're two completely different leagues.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

Yeah...still waiting for them to remake Super Metroid in 3D

Keep the gameplay mechanics and sequence breaking, just update the visuals

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

Like what New Super Mario Bros. and Sonic The Hedgehog 4 does

3D models on a 2D plane

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Yeah, that's what I assumed you meant. I dunno if that's necessary, though. Super Metroid's a nice looking game and, understandably, there'd be a lot of bawwing and outrage at the idea of it.

Especially since it's Metroid. A 2.5D port would cost cause quite a stir.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Yeah, but DKC didn't make their old games 2.5D, they just went forward with the idea. Same with Mario and Sonic (though Generations is a special case), as well as Giana Sisters. But touching a classic like Super Metroid would easily be met with backlash. Unless it were toggle-able, then I doubt people would care.

But again, not really necessary. Despite SM's status, it probably wouldn't do much for sales. It'd be one of those "Oh yeah, that's a thing" cases. It'd be a nice option, though.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023

Geez, I haven't played a DKC game since the Nintendo 64 days. Donkey Konga was kind of fun on the Nintendo Gamecube.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

Concerning the matter of pokemon AI, the system the games already have in play has several preset "levels" of AI for in-game trainers to use. Usually enemies have a really stupid AI, while the more difficult ones are saved for ace trainers and bosses and the likes. Wild pokemon use moves at random.

Having a mode where more enemies employ the higher levels of AI would not require mountains of code, I'd imagine. I've used third party programs to change the difficulty level of enemy AI in rom hacks before, it's not a complicated system. In addition to this, do as in the challenge mode of BW2: systematically raise pokemon levels, give gym leaders more capable movesets. Of course that would require work to be done, but it's exactly what's being asked for. And they've practically been doing this in XY already, except in reverse. Giving trainers such as the rival characters intentionally bad movesets (look up Tierno's team, I dare you).

See, this is the root of the problem. In XY, the developers have actively tried to make the games easier, for the sake of accessibility. This has been explicitly said several times in interviews. And it's honestly making me quite concerned.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

What really pissed me off about the PWT, aside from the ridiculous requirements to be able to battle champions, was the fact the pokemon in it were all based on comp play in terms of stats and the AI was freakin' hacking

Took me MONTHS to get the wins with my regular Black 2 team and I did not want to go out and EV Train a comp team

Why couldn't it have been completely random

I hated going in with my team and then getting my arse handed to me by Volkner, Clair and Drayden

and if I went in with an ice type...FIGHTING TYPES EVERYWHERE

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

PWT was supposed to be this balls-to-the-wall competitive thing that you'd have to build teams around, though. It wouldn't feel like a big challenging tournament between the best trainers in the world if you could just breeze through it with your starter mon.

Never noticed any hax along the lines of opponents picking mons based on yours, but if that was indeed the case, yeah, that sounds pretty BS.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

I always assumed the people that want harder AI want more than higher levels and moves though. I assumed they want trainers that regularly switched out their Pokemon, that remembered what you used and planned around it, that made an attempt at predicting your actions, which is hard.

If people just want higher levels and a better moveset and have them stick with the "attack until this Pokemon dies then switch and attack until this Pokemon dies" AI then...I disagree with them I guess.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

I always assumed the people that want harder AI want more than higher levels and moves though. I assumed they want trainers that regularly switched out their Pokemon, that remembered what you used and planned around it, that made an attempt at predicting your actions, which is hard.

If people just want higher levels and a better moveset and have them stick with the "attack until this Pokemon dies then switch and attack until this Pokemon dies" AI then...I disagree with them I guess.

Ohhhh. Now I see what you mean.

Heck yeah, I want that. But the feat of accomplishing such a competent AI is, as you've said, really tough. I was giving examples of how the games could be made more challenging using what GF already have at their disposal, and grieving over the fact that they're attempting no such thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back