• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

Years
hey guys,

I am having a problem with getting an npc to move. I have him say something and then move out of the way. But I cant get it to work. Here is what I have, any help would be greatly appreciated.

#org 0x8740268
'-----------------------------------
msgbox 0x8740274 ' There are somtimes s...
callstd MSG_FACEPLAYER ' Builtin lock/faceplayer
m walk_down look_right endsetbyte2 0x3 0x2
end

#org 0x8740274
= There are somtimes secret areas[.]\nhidden in the trees.

-Kyle

Last edited:

LightSlei

ExtremelyHyperNerdTestGam erGuy
Years
I'm having a problem with warps, you said when you click to increase the number of warps by one it should show up in the top left corner of the map, but I'm not getting anything, any ideas?

Also I can't seem to allow Pokemon to be wild events in the cave I created? This is what I see:

2porrt3.jpg

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2009
I can't get my room to house warp to work .. after i go down the stairs i enter a black room but the music is still playing.. can you help me?

dragonface

Check out Elite version
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 27, 2010
nice tutoril i still dont understand how to make a trainer disapeer after u fight him.

ville!

Abbysus, abbysus invocat!
Years
i have a question, when i insert a map over other map, the name in the map is pallet town, and if i change the name of the insert map, the name of pallet town map chage too, how can i do that?

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2010
I'm having a little problem with the trainer thing; i have created the trainer and did everything u said in the tutorial.. but, when i went on and tested it.. the trainer talked to me and the game froze.... do i need to do anything else?(like edit what pokemons he has or?) if so, how?
Thanks,

Seriaza

Prof. Elm's Aide
Years
Sorry to sound a bit noobish, but whenever I try to open AM a long message comes up saying something like something doesn't exist and I have to place some ini files in a directory file or something like that. Plz help!!

HackinJohn

FireRed ROM Hacker
Years
I have a quick question:

I added a new map to my Pallet Town bank, but whenever I try to go to the new house map in-game, the player can't get through. The rom just turns black and nothing happens so you have to turn off the game and turn it back on.

Any way of fixing this?

Integra Hellsing

The Convention of Twelve
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2009
I'm having a problem with warps, you said when you click to increase the number of warps by one it should show up in the top left corner of the map, but I'm not getting anything, any ideas?

Also I can't seem to allow Pokemon to be wild events in the cave I created? This is what I see:

Have you clicked to the button under the amount of warp points which says "Change Events"? Then are you sure if you have on or off the sprite showing, you must be not able to see the sprites, in order to place-move or anything else the signposts and warps.

About the Pokemon to be in the wild, I see that you're using an old AM, why won't you try with a newer one and see if it does work?

I can't get my room to house warp to work .. after i go down the stairs i enter a black room but the music is still playing.. can you help me?

This is probably because your warp point is pointing in the wrong place, check again the bank-map or if the pointed map has anything that would cause such error. You could try by re-creating the warp point.

i have a question, when i insert a map over other map, the name in the map is pallet town, and if i change the name of the insert map, the name of pallet town map chage too, how can i do that?

When you do replace a MAP's name, I believe that Advance Map automatically finds another name in the ROM and replaces it. (basically address your new name to an already used address, causing all the maps that point at that address as their name to have the same - new name you have set)

I have a quick question:

I added a new map to my Pallet Town bank, but whenever I try to go to the new house map in-game, the player can't get through. The rom just turns black and nothing happens so you have to turn off the game and turn it back on.

Any way of fixing this?

Are you sure that you have inserted it in the right way? Also, are you sure that the eventual warp point is pointing at the right bank - map?

hey guys,

I am having a problem with getting an npc to move. I have him say something and then move out of the way. But I cant get it to work. Here is what I have, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
#org 0x8740268
'-----------------------------------
msgbox 0x8740274 ' There are somtimes s...
callstd MSG_FACEPLAYER ' Builtin lock/faceplayer
m walk_down look_right endsetbyte2 0x3 0x2
end

#org 0x8740274
-Kyle

Heres an example of the code your said above, in the ways I use to script.

Code:
'-----------------------
#org @main
Lock
FacePlayer
Release
applymovement 0x04 @move ' go down
applymovement 0x1B @move2 ' look left
Lock
Faceplayer
msgbox @msg "There are somtimes secret areas"
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org @msg

Also are you sure that your AM is pointing at the correct event address?

You just forgot to use the "release" command after lock.

Last edited:

HackinJohn

FireRed ROM Hacker
Years
Okay, I figured out what I was doing. But now I have one last question.

I renamed Pallet Town "Cobalt Cove," but now every time I try to insert a new town/cave/room, it automatically becomes "COBALT COVE (xx.x)," no matter which map bank I put it under. And if I try to change it from Cobalt Cove, it changes the original one that I want to be named Cobalt Cove.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure that I'm creating & inserting the right way, maybe I'm just doing one little thing wrong? Let me know.

Integra Hellsing

The Convention of Twelve
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2009
Okay, I figured out what I was doing. But now I have one last question.

I renamed Pallet Town "Cobalt Cove," but now every time I try to insert a new town/cave/room, it automatically becomes "COBALT COVE (xx.x)," no matter which map bank I put it under. And if I try to change it from Cobalt Cove, it changes the original one that I want to be named Cobalt Cove.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure that I'm creating & inserting the right way, maybe I'm just doing one little thing wrong? Let me know.

Please check the post before this one, I have answered the question. Basically AM replaces the name, and the game uses a certain number of Addresses to point into the map names. So if you change Pallet Town, all the maps that point at the address with that name, will change their name too, because the address is pointing at "Pallet Town" that you have changed. So you have always to use other zones names, unless you know how to add new addresses for the map name list.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 22, 2010
Hmmm. I've had this question for almost a month. It has never been answered.

Before you attempt to answer it, understand that in Advance Map, I have all the map banks correct on the warps. Even when I hit "Goto", the warp works.

Now, when I play it in the game, and I walk into the door, it takes me to another map, except I cannot move, I'm invisible, and I believe I'm out of bounds. I changed the map height and width, and checked if I had a warp out of bounds. I did not.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

link12552

decade club
Years
Hmmm. I've had this question for almost a month. It has never been answered.

Before you attempt to answer it, understand that in Advance Map, I have all the map banks correct on the warps. Even when I hit "Goto", the warp works.

Now, when I play it in the game, and I walk into the door, it takes me to another map, except I cannot move, I'm invisible, and I believe I'm out of bounds. I changed the map height and width, and checked if I had a warp out of bounds. I did not.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Note: This is a tuff question to answer with only the given information.

First double check your warp. Make sure its unknown is set to 3
and that the map bank and header are correct. Then make sure the transfer number is the sam as the other maps warp.

This might be a problem with your rom. This generally happens when you change a map size, and AM overwites part of another
map. Before you do anything else to your rom I suggest you save your map files somewhere and make a back up.

P.S. Som times when you make a warp weird things can happen, such as showing up in the middle of the course.
Trying adding a new warp to each of the maps

Vittorini

Expert Trainer
Years
Make sure that in the tile ,with the warp on it, that its behavior is set to warp. Change the unknows for the warp to 3 and if you're doing a lower caves exit set the warp behavior to an arrow and a warp. This should fix both of your problems.:nervous:

Respond if this is succesful and if it's not ttry to give me more details :)

And how would I go about setting the warp behavior? I'm having a lot of difficulties with this and I'm really frustrated.

link12552

decade club
Years
And how would I go about setting the warp behavior? I'm having a lot of difficulties with this and I'm really frustrated.

From what you've siad I'm assuming that you want a warp to work on a door or cave exit. The problem just may be that the warps unknown has to be set to 3

If the above doesn't work,
Can you sort of describe the issue your having more carefully.

Vittorini

Expert Trainer
Years
From what you've siad I'm assuming that you want a warp to work on a door or cave exit. The problem just may be that the warps unknown has to be set to 3

If the above doesn't work,
Can you sort of describe the issue your having more carefully.

You assume correctly. I have set both warps in my cave to unknown 3 and yet I still cannot exit when I enter the cave. Again, I can enter the cave perfectly fine but once inside I cannot go back out on either side. If you have any idea as to why, please let me know.

link12552

decade club
Years
You assume correctly. I have set both warps in my cave to unknown 3 and yet I still cannot exit when I enter the cave. Again, I can enter the cave perfectly fine but once inside I cannot go back out on either side. If you have any idea as to why, please let me know.

First make sure the warp is on the tile in front of the exit,

Secondly make that tile is the first cave floor tile you see.
It be should after a black block in the cave tile area of the tileset.

If all else fails, open the tile with the warp on it and set its behavior byte to 08 00

Back