• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Terra Nullius

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 31, 2022
You wake up one night in a cave dressed like your favorite movie actor, in a leather trenchcoat and sunglasses. A scientist, TERRANCE gives you some new toys to play with and tells you that you are now in an adventure. MR. LEFKOWICZ also guides you, but you are left mostly alone for the rest of the adventure. Along the way, you meet trainers from other regions, for example BRENDAN from Hoenn who you can battle. In your first town, MARCO CITY, you encounter GLITCHMAN DERRICK who attempts to use glitches to tear apart reality and assert dominance.

I am very bad at technical details of romhacking, so there will be some errors.

Here is the first town the player enters after leaving the cave, Wasserman Town
uKzzqnI.png

Here is the exterior of the first gym
903gPJP.png

Here is the interior of the first gym
DMMvwvU.png

Here is route TN1
swVPeiI.png

M2vgmUy.png

Here is the HALL OF ERRORS, which is a maze in game consisting of intentionally glitched tiles
Fl7w87L.png

Dsua13E.png

Here is one of the fakemon in my hack, ATTEINDRE, showing both front and back sprites
N3o5htT.png

Features
- HALL OF ERRORS maze
- Custom music
- 1 Fakemon so far

LEFKOWICZ CAVE - script: ATTEINDRE*
WASSERMAN TOWN - grass (CUT required) : RATTATA, HOOTHOOT, PIDGEY, LOTAD, CATERPIE water : MAGIKARP, TENTACOOL fishingrod: MAGIKARP, TENTACOOL, GYARADOS
ROUTE TN1 - grass : RATTATA, POOCHYENA, PIDGEY, ZIGZAGOON

Game ends after first gym
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5jd72nyo309h2jh/AACSeKyEiuSArnP7DZ1r2WhBa?dl=0 Download Link

ERRORS

- Audio mutes during Terrence's intro speech when the ATTEINDRE is nicknamed
- Old man does not dissappear immediately after teaching player how to use pokeball; but he does disappear after the player enters a building or another route
- Custom music sounds weird with static, especially gym leader theme
- Custom pokemon dont have cries and dont have pokedex entries
- When using the POKeMART Menu DO NOT PRESS "SEE YA!" THIS WILL DO WEIRD THINGS! INSTEAD JUST USE B TO BACK OUT!
- Title screen is corrupted, should be a PICHU but it is not.

Last edited by a moderator:

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
Years
Looks decent but needs some work. I understand this is your first Rom hack but I got a few things to say.
1: glitchman derricks non battle sprite should be a man sprite not Sabrinas sprite
2: hire a team instead of doing it yourself, I would be willing to be a beta tester. But hire some other development staff. Ex: sprite creator/editor, map creator, etc.
3: the town's from the screenshots could use some work, try adding unique houses and buildings and add more npcs to make the town livelier.
That's all I have to say. But other than that good job because it takes a lot of work and effort to make a Rom hack.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 31, 2022
That?s intentional because he is supposed to be a shapeshifter glitch.

MrElephant

Pokemon Researcher
Years
Hello Thenextgui,

I recently came back to the forums after a long hiatus, and I read your thread. The good news is your game is up. That means the mods like your game, and you put in some effort into getting this far.

So, what needs to happen now? You do not need beta testers. You will need some eventually, but not at the present moment. It is possible to work on a hack by yourself, but as bh2032002 stated-you probably need a team. There are many members around the forums, and threads to ask questions on. To my recollection, I believe there is a team building section, correct me if I am incorrect on this. Anyways, you'll probably need spriters, scripters, and other people to help you along the way. The good news is your base rom is Firered/Leafgreen-so itll be easier for you to work on this game, and search for information (unlike Emerald).

Now for some actual thoughts regarding your game. It looks like you have some knowledge of scripting-which is good. Your custom mon looks pretty neat, hopefully its stats aren't overpowered. However, I would advise you as a random individual reading this thread, your "garbage/glitch" tiles from the part before you fight DERRICK indicate some laziness. Get a person on the team who can help you create some nice glitch tiles. (the pink tiles arent half bad, but the other probably needs some work) Also, in addition to this, as bh02032002 talked about before, create a custom overworld sprite for DERRICK. Maybe you have one already, and that is totally cool. I'm just suggesting that, even if you want Sabrina or some other individual inside the game, put some time into adjusting the OW sprites just a tad. It adds a nice touch.

Anyways, good effort so far! Looking forward to see where this project leads.

-Mr.Elephant

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 31, 2022
Hello Thenextgui,

I recently came back to the forums after a long hiatus, and I read your thread. The good news is your game is up. That means the mods like your game, and you put in some effort into getting this far.

So, what needs to happen now? You do not need beta testers. You will need some eventually, but not at the present moment. It is possible to work on a hack by yourself, but as bh2032002 stated-you probably need a team. There are many members around the forums, and threads to ask questions on. To my recollection, I believe there is a team building section, correct me if I am incorrect on this. Anyways, you'll probably need spriters, scripters, and other people to help you along the way. The good news is your base rom is Firered/Leafgreen-so itll be easier for you to work on this game, and search for information (unlike Emerald).

Now for some actual thoughts regarding your game. It looks like you have some knowledge of scripting-which is good. Your custom mon looks pretty neat, hopefully its stats aren't overpowered. However, I would advise you as a random individual reading this thread, your "garbage/glitch" tiles from the part before you fight DERRICK indicate some laziness. Get a person on the team who can help you create some nice glitch tiles. (the pink tiles arent half bad, but the other probably needs some work) Also, in addition to this, as bh02032002 talked about before, create a custom overworld sprite for DERRICK. Maybe you have one already, and that is totally cool. I'm just suggesting that, even if you want Sabrina or some other individual inside the game, put some time into adjusting the OW sprites just a tad. It adds a nice touch.

-Mr.Elephant

How can I create a custom overworld sprite? I know how to put it in the game, but I don't know how to design

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Great to see you back on the site MrElephant!

Now to the hack:

some quick points based on screen shot and video
1. I like the maps, the simplicity of it just gets me. However, I would advise to fill it up just a bit so you don't have so much free space in and between the buildings.
2. You're a decent scripter, that will carry you a long way. I second what was mentioned in earlier comments . Perhaps have another set of eyes to look at the aesthetics of the hack. No worries, these features can be added as you go.
3. What would be best to do now is plot your direction moving forward. Most importantly, story board your hack so you have a broad idea on the scripts that you need to prepare.
4. Highlight what are the key areas that need to be taken care off and if you have the expertise or team to see it through
5. Let us know if you have any other concerns. Keep at it!

Hello Thenextgui,

-Mr.Elephant

MrElephant

Pokemon Researcher
Years
Thenewgui,

Regarding your question on overworld sprites-creating great overworld sprites is not easy, and I did not say it would be. However, Pokecommunity (and Whack a Hack), have some awesome resources you can check out.

What I would suggest is to take a look at the art showcase in the forums. Here, you can even make requests of sprites, overworld, etc.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

In addition to this, you can check out the spriters resource. I am not going to include that link here, as it is to an external site. What I would suggest is to look at examples, and then design your sprite.

A word of caution-some of the overworld sprites share the same palettes in these games. If you change one-you are going to change multiple overworlds. Some palettes are used less often then others though.

-Mr.Elephant

Last edited:
Back