• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultra Sun playthrough

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I didn't have enough time to make this on release day, but w/e.

As with Moon, I'm taking my sweet time with this game. It's the same so far except I got my starter before reaching Iki Town and had to battle one of the Spearow attacking Nebby at the beginning of the game. The Ultra Recon Squad made a couple appearances already.

I decided to start with Rowlet this time to shake things up.

I already beat Hau twice and am on my way to the Trainer's School. I also got the event Rockruff, but haven't actually picked it up yet.

Current team:

Rowlet, male, level 10
-Tackle
-Leafage
-Growl
-Peck
Nature: Lonely

Grubbin, female, level 7
-Vice Grip
-String Shot
-Mud-Slap
Nature: Naive

Pikipek, male, level 7
-Peck
-Growl
-Echoed Voice
Nature: Quirky
Ability: Skill Link

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I picked up the event Rockruff after a good deal of soft resetting for a good nature. Before taking on the trainers' school, I chose to hunt for a good IVed Grimer. I eventually lost patience and transferred one I previously bred in Moon, given that Grimer now has a 10% chance of showing up instead of 20%. The silver lining was that during that mad hunt, I ran into a shiny Zorua and caught it.

After getting the Grimer up to speed with the rest of the team, I took on the school. I was surprised that the teacher had the starter strong against mine (Litten in this case). Regardless, I just used Rockruff in the fight as it resisted both its moves.

Current team:

Rowlet, male, level 13
-Tackle
-Leafage
-Astonish
-Peck

Grubbin, female, level 10
-Vice Grip
-String Shot
-Mud-Slap
-Bite

Pikipek, male, level 10
-Peck
-Growl
-Echoed Voice
-Rock Smash

Rockruff, female, level 11
-Tackle
-Bite
-Fire Fang
-Happy Hour
Nature: Hasty

Magnemite, level 10
-Tackle
-Supersonic
-Thunder Shock
-Thunder Wave
Nature: Modest
Ability: Sturdy

Grimer, female, level 10
-Pound
-Poison Gas
-Curse
-Bite
Nature: Brave
Ability: Poison Touch

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Finally made it to Hau'oli. After goofing off with the Poke Finder for a bit, I encountered Team Skull in front of the malasada shop. As usual, they were easy to beat. Then I met Ilima again and battled him to prove my worth for his trial and won. After exploring Route 2's beach, I found Team Skull dancing in front of a Mantine. I beat them handily again. The swimmer told me to come back after beating the grand trial.

I'm in Route 2 about to take on the Verdant Cavern trial. While training, Pikipek evolved into Trumbeak.

Rowlet, male, level 16
-Tackle
-Razor Leaf
-Ominous Wind
-Peck

Grubbin, female, level 14
-Bug Bite
-String Shot
-Mud-Slap
-Bite

Trumbeak, male, level 14
-Peck
-Growl
-Echoed Voice
-Rock Smash

Rockruff, female, level 14
-Tackle
-Bite
-Fire Fang
-Happy Hour

Magnemite, level 14
-Magnet Bomb
-Light Screen
-Thunder Shock
-Thunder Wave

Grimer, female, level 14
-Pound
-Poison Gas
-Curse
-Bite

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Since the last update, I took on Ilima's trial. As with last time, Team Skull was around to mess it up halfway through. During the battle against Totem Gumshoos, I managed to score a critical on it with Rowlet's Razor Leaf, bypassing its totem boost, which made things a lot easier. After beating the Gumshoos, I was met by the two strange people wearing spacesuits. They still seem pretty sketchy.

After going through Route 3, and Rowlet evolving into Dartrix after a bit more training, I found Nebby wandering off into Seaward Cave. There, I ran into the suspicious pair again and one of them battled me with a single Furfrou. From what X/Y has taught me, Furfrou is a beast in the early game because of Fur Coat and high Speed at that point. I managed to pull through with Rockruff's Z-Happy Hour boosting all its stats, then chipping at it with Rock Throw. Right after that, Hau pulled me aside for a battle.

Afterward, I returned to Iki Town for the grand trial against Hala. This time, he had a Machop instead of Mankey, but I pulled through with type advantages from Trumbeak and Dartrix. I explored Melemele with Tauros Charge and took part in some side quests including the Alola Photo Club and the seven mysteries of the Trainers' School before going to Big Wave Beach for Mantine Surf. It was fun surfing on Mantine while getting BP in the process.

I arrived on Heahea and surfed between that and Melemele for more BP before continuing on with the story. Sina and Dexio met me in front of the hotel before I headed to Route 4, where I swapped out Trumbeak for a Mudbray. After gathering 20 Totem stickers, I met Samson Oak to pick up a Totem-sized Gumshoos, saving me the effort of looking for one later.

Current team:

Dartrix, male, level 20
-False Swipe
-Razor Leaf
-Ominous Wind
-Peck

Grubbin, female, level 17
-Bug Bite
-Spark
-Mud-Slap
-Bite

Rockruff, female, level 17
-Rock Throw
-Bite
-Fire Fang
-Happy Hour

Magnemite, level 17
-Magnet Bomb
-Light Screen
-Thunder Shock
-Thunder Wave

Grimer, female, level 17
-Pound
-Poison Gas
-Curse
-Bite

Mudbray, male, level 17
-Double Kick
-Stomp
-Rototiller
-Bulldoze
Ability: Stamina

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Since then, I went through Painiola Ranch and Brooklet Hill, catching several Pokemon along the way. Before going through Lana's trial, I trained the rest of the team by surfing through Melemele Sea, catching more Pokemon during the ride and having Grubbin evolve into a Charjabug. After luring the Wishiwashi into the bottom of the lake, I got to Totem Araquanid, which was huge and terrifying. I managed to have Dartrix move first and nuke Araquanid with a Supersonic Skystrike. After clearing the trial, I backtracked to Melemele for fishing up more Pokemon.

After clearing the Sudowoodo blocking the path, the Ultra Recon Squad approached me and challenged me with a Poipole. It wasn't that hard, given that Magnemite completely countered it and I was surprised by how much experience Magnemite got despite Poipole being only an NFE. I made it to the Battle Royal Dome and battled the Masked Royal, Hau, and Gladion in a Battle Royal. I KOed the Royal's Rockruff with a single Razor Leaf. After that, Kiawe invited me to challenge his trial at Wela Volcano Park. Before that, I decided to swap out Charjabug for a Dewpider I bred from two Dewpider I caught at Brooklet Hill to make the upcoming trial more manageable.

Current team:

Dartrix, male, level 29
-False Swipe
-Razor Leaf
-Ominous Wind
-Pluck

Rockruff, female, level 21
-Rock Throw
-Bite
-Fire Fang
-Happy Hour

Magnemite, level 21
-Magnet Bomb
-Light Screen
-Shock Wave
-Thunder Wave

Grimer, female, level 21
-Poison Fang
-Poison Gas
-Curse
-Bite

Mudbray, male, level 21
-Double Kick
-Stomp
-Rototiller
-Bulldoze

Dewpider, male, level 21
-Bubble Beam
-Infestation
-Bite
-Bug Bite
Nature: Docile

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Since the last update, I defeated Kiawe's and Mallow's trials and half of my team is already fully evolved (Dewpider to Araquanid, Rockruff to Lycanroc at the right time, and Dartrix to Decidueye). I decided to do something risky and steal the Totem Marowak's Thick Club with Thief. Grimer was in the red and it managed to sneak a Thief in to take the Thick Club. From there, Araquanid took care of both Marowak and Salazzle with Bubble Beam. After clearing the trial, I was surprised to see Mohn this early before heading to Poke Pelago to mess around with it.

I like the new addition of the tunnel as its own area to give it a bit more immersion. There, I met the Ultra Recon Squad again who didn't seem to know what a tunnel was. I beat the trainers in Route 8 before taking on Mallow's trial. I thought it would be like last time, but it turned out that after I got the wrong ingredients, the wild Pokemon there would attack in a row before jumping straight to the Totem fight. I managed to cheese the Totem fight again with Supersonic Skystrike. Afterward, Prof. Kukui invited me to the Dimensional Research Lab to meet with Prof. Burnet, who explained about Ultra Wormholes. After leaving the lab, Olivia let me pass through the Diglett's Tunnel to get to Konikoni City, but a pair of Team Skull Grunts stopped me at the end; Hau and I took care of them.

From there, I headed to Konikoni to get ready for the grand trial by evolving Dartrix into Decidueye, as it was close to evolving at that point.

Decidueye, male, level 34
-False Swipe
-Razor Leaf
-Spirit Shackle
-Pluck

Lycanroc, female, level 28
-Rock Throw
-Brick Break
-Fire Fang
-Thrash

Magnemite, level 28
-Magnet Bomb
-Light Screen
-Shock Wave
-Thunder Wave

Grimer, female, level 28
-Poison Fang
-Poison Gas
-Curse
-Thief

Mudbray, male, level 28
-Double Kick
-Stomp
-Rock Tomb
-High Horsepower

Araquanid, male, level 28
-Bubble Beam
-Infestation
-Bite
-Bug Bite

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I caught the Ditto Five and bought the fossils from Olivia's shop in that order. I headed to the Ruins of Conflict because Olivia said something came up. On my way to the ruins, I ran into Team Skull, who was harassing a Slowpoke, and the Aether Foundation, whose branch chief had me take care of the Skull Grunts. After beating the Grunts, the branch chief, Faba offered me a tour of Aether Paradise after the grand trial.

A few steps into the ruins and the Team Skull Admin Plumeria challenged me into a battle, which I won. I met Olivia at the ruins for the grand trial. I took advantage of Rock's common weaknesses to win. Afterward, I went to Aether Paradise with Hau for a tour. Midway through, an Ultra Beast emerged from an Ultra Wormhole and I battled it. It fled and we were brought into Malie City. After arriving, Hau battled me and suggested we meet Kukui at Malie Garden. During some training, Magnemite and Mudbray evolved.

I met with Kukui and he suggested I go to the next trial site, Mount Hokulani. After some training, I ran into Team Skull Grunts stealing the bus stop for some reason. After taking care of them, I arrived at the observatory, where the Electric trial awaited.

Current team:

Decidueye, male, level 40
-Sucker Punch
-Razor Leaf
-Spirit Shackle
-Pluck

Lycanroc, female, level 36
-Rock Slide
-Brick Break
-Fire Fang
-Thrash

Magneton, level 36
-Flash Cannon
-Light Screen
-Shock Wave
-Thunder Wave

Grimer, female, level 36
-Poison Fang
-Crunch
-Curse
-Knock Off

Mudsdale, male, level 36
-Low Sweep
-Heavy Slam
-Rock Tomb
-High Horsepower

Araquanid, male, level 36
-Bubble Beam
-Infestation
-Bite
-Bug Bite

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Having arrived at Hokulani Observatory, I met up with Molayne, who simply gave me a Steelium Z and the Masked Royal's mask before inviting me inside for the trial. I was surprised I didn't battle him this time around. I met Sophocles, who told me to find three of his Charjabug. After finding them, the trial started and I had to rearrange three trios of Charjabug in lines to generate enough energy to summon the Totem Pokemon with Sophocles' machine. It overloaded and a Totem Togedemaru saved the day before challenging me. I beat it and the Skarmory it summoned by playing around Spiky Shield and Torment. I received the Electrium Z as a reward and went back to Malie Garden to return the mask to Prof. Kukui.

At Malie Garden, I met Guzma, leader of Team Skull. I battled him and won. Acerola came by and invited me over to do the next trial at the Abandoned Megamart. After some training at Blush Mountain, Grimer and Magneton evolved into Muk and Magnezone. En route to the trial site, I bumped into Gladion, who requested that I protect Cosmog, as well as the Ultra Recon Squad, who gave exposition on Necrozma.

I made it to the trial site, where I took pictures of the Ghost Pokemon making things move like last time. Before entering the totem's den, I saw Acerola in front of the door, ordering me to leave. I was startled, but I stood my ground. I went in and took a picture of the Totem Mimikyu. I wanted the extra experience this time, so I deliberately chipped away at it with Magnezone's Shock Wave after KOing its partner Banette so it could summon Jellicent next. After the trial was over, Acerola rewarded me with the Ghostium Z.

I journeyed to the Aether House, where a young girl had her Yungoos stolen by Team Skull. Plumeria ordered me to go to Po Town alone to get it back after being defeated in battle. On the beach nearby, Elite 4 Grimsley gave me Sharpedo Jet to navigate the rocky sea route to Po Town.

Decidueye, male, level 44
-Sucker Punch
-Leaf Blade
-Spirit Shackle
-Pluck

Lycanroc, female, level 42
-Rock Slide
-Drill Run
-Fire Fang
-Thrash

Magnezone, level 42
-Flash Cannon
-Light Screen
-Shock Wave
-Thunder Wave

Muk, female, level 42
-Gunk Shot
-Crunch
-Curse
-Knock Off

Mudsdale, male, level 42
-Low Sweep
-Heavy Slam
-Rock Tomb
-High Horsepower

Araquanid, male, level 42
-Bubble Beam
-Infestation
-Crunch
-Bug Bite

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Accomplished quite a lot in the past 4 days.

I stormed Po Town to get the Yungoos back. I was surprised to learn that the passwords revolved around Plumeria rather than Guzma. Nevertheless, I took down Guzma, collected a Buginium Z, and returned the Yungoos to Aether House, where I learned that Lillie got kidnapped by Team Skull. Gladion burst in and battled me to vent his frustration of failing to protect something. After setting him straight, Gladion went to Malie, where Nanu, the island kahuna, battled me for the grand trial.

Gladion brought me and Hau to storm Aether Paradise to get Lillie back. Branch Chief Faba was even against me. I beat him twice and continued on to Lusamine's mansion, where Lillie was being held. Guzma stopped me again. During this battle, I was able to trigger Rotom's ability to use Z moves twice. I took down Guzma and went into the mansion, where the Ultra Recon Squad tried to stop me from seeing Lusamine, but I took down their Poipole without much trouble, since its stats aren't good enough at this point in the game. I entered Lusamine's room, where I learned that her motives were different from last time: she wanted to stop Necrozma using Nebby's power knowing that Nebby would die.

I battled Lusamine to test my resolve and won despite her Bewear critting Mudsdale 3 times in a row past the Stamina boosts. I was surprised to see Lusamine commend me for taking the island challenge before leaving through the Ultra Wormhole. I rested up and met up with Lillie, who changed clothes, as well as Gladion who gave us the Moon Flute and took us to Poni Island to see what was wrong with Nebby. There, we went to the Ruins of Hope, where Hapu was named the new kahuna. She suggested to go to Exeggutor Island for the Sun Flute.

At Exeggutor Island (I was on my own this time), I ran into 3 Exeggutor in pain because of Pinsir. I caught all 3 Pinsir and one of the Exeggutor gave me a boost on the cliff to retrieve the Sun Flute. I'm back at Seafolk Village now.

Decidueye, male, level 56
-Sucker Punch
-Leaf Blade
-Spirit Shackle
-Brave Bird

Lycanroc, female, level 51
-Stone Edge
-Drill Run
-Fire Fang
-Thrash

Magnezone, level 56
-Flash Cannon
-Light Screen
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave

Muk, female, level 56
-Gunk Shot
-Crunch
-Curse
-Knock Off

Mudsdale, male, level 56
-Low Sweep
-Heavy Slam
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

Araquanid, male, level 56
-Scald
-Mirror Coat
-Crunch
-Leech Life

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I headed to Vast Poni Canyon, where Team Skull stopped me. I beat them before moving on. The Ultra Recon Squad blocked me, furious over Lusamine's betrayal. I was impressed that they kept that one Poipole from the last few battles at that point of the game, but I still defeated it without too much trouble.

I traversed through the canyon, battling trainers before ending up at the abandoned trial site. I had to use the Totem Mimikyu I got from Samson Oak for that battle and level it up until it got Play Rough, as none of my Pokemon were prepared enough to take on the Totem Kommo-o. A Roto boost and a Let's Snuggle Forever from Mimikyu and the Totem went down. The Noivern suffered the same fate, as Rotom let me use Z Power twice.

I arrived at the Altar of the Sunne, where Lillie and I played the Sun and Moon flutes, evolving Nebby into Solgaleo. Shortly afterwards, I witnessed Guzma and Lusamine being thrown out of an Ultra Wormhole by Necrozma, who proceeded to battle Nebby and fuse with it. I had to battle and KO the new fusion before Necrozma retreated back in another wormhole. The Ultra Recon Squad arrived and lent their Lunala to me so I could Ultra Warp Ride to Ultra Megalopolis, where Necrozma was. I had some trouble controlling Lunala in Ultra Warp Ride, as I ended up in an Ultra Space Wilds the first time, where I caught an Abomasnow. The second time, I made it to Ultra Megalopolis, where two other members of the Recon Squad greeted me and requested me to save Necrozma at the top of Megalo Tower. I made my way to the top and faced down Necrozma, who transformed into a dragon of light. Having heard that Necrozma would be a challenge, I brought out Magnezone first to paralyze it before switching to Muk to bring it down with a Black Hole Eclipse backed with a Roto Boost. Necrozma survived with 1 HP remaining and after a heal, Muk was able to bring it down. I returned to the real world, where Lusamine and Lillie left to treat the weakened Solgaleo, while Mina brought me to her house for her trial.

I decided to have fun with Ultra Warp Ride, catching some Pokemon before taking on the trial.

Decidueye, male, level 61
-Sucker Punch
-Leaf Blade
-Spirit Shackle
-Brave Bird

Lycanroc, female, level 57
-Stone Edge
-Drill Run
-Fire Fang
-Thrash

Magnezone, level 57
-Flash Cannon
-Light Screen
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave

Muk, female, level 57
-Gunk Shot
-Crunch
-Curse
-Knock Off

Mudsdale, male, level 57
-Low Sweep
-Heavy Slam
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

Araquanid, male, level 57
-Scald
-Liquidation
-Crunch
-Leech Life

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I finally beat the game on Christmas Eve by taking on Mina's trial, which had me battle most of the other Trial Captains for petals. The Totem Ribombee wasn't much of a problem since I had 2 outs to it in Muk and Magnezone. After getting the Fairium Z, I went to Mt. Lanakila, where I encountered and caught Necrozma. Colress also gave me the N-Solarizer and N-Lunarizer, which let me change Necrozma's formes.

At the league, I battled everyone from left to right like in the past generations. The final opponent turned out to be Hau rather than Kukui like in the last game. Hau was easier than Kukui, to be perfectly honest. After beating the League, I caught 2 Blacephalon at Poni Plains with the help of the Ultra Recon Squad.

Current team:

Decidueye, male, level 67
-Shadow Sneak
-Leaf Blade
-Spirit Shackle
-Brave Bird

Lycanroc, female, level 62
-Stone Edge
-Drill Run
-Fire Fang
-Thrash