• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scripting Guide for Beginner Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
Years
Go to toolbox and then Temporary Tool Resource, scroll down and download my starter package. Though this isn't the place too ask it, if you searched a little i'm pretty sure you would of found it ..

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
Okay guys, thanks for answering the questions, as I don't have time for this (exams). So, yes, you can use raws, but it should be written the way thethethethe stated. The one for ScriptED, of course. And I would like to ask anyone for not posting things unrelated to this guide and writing scripts (writing, not using scripting tools). I would be really grateful. Thanks guys (Crashink, thethethethe, Blazikendude) for being active here, I will release next part of guide this week.

~Martin

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2020
This is a great tutorial, but can you give a working example of a Yes/No script? For some reason, my script just leaves the question on the screen, and nothing happens. Here's my script so you can see what's wrong with it:
Spoiler:

This is just a test to see if I can get it to work. Thanks in advance! :)

Years
Spoiler:

Just fixed the offsets...

The offset should have at least 100 between each other...

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
Awesome tutorial, I've being reading it yesterday... but how do you put the script into the rom (Windows XP)?

If you use ScriptED, there's no problem doing it. You need to set an option to show file's extension (Open some folder - best My Documents - Tools-> Folder options ->Appearance - I think - and there should be checkbox "Hide extensions of registered filetype". Uncheck it.)

Now, back to your ScriptED window and click on the Compile button. There will pop a browse dialog. Find your ROM and doubleclick it. There will pop a Notepad window with a script log, you should check if it didn't find any errors there.

Now, when it's written there, you need to open AdvanceMap. Open the map where you want your event be put in, click on the sprite or trigger and now, on the right side, there should be a sidebar. Find the box labeled Script offset. Write there $ followed by the script's offset number (e.g. $800000). Save your ROM, open it in VBA and test it.

If it goes okay, congrats. If not, post a screenie.

This is a great tutorial, but can you give a working example of a Yes/No script? For some reason, my script just leaves the question on the screen, and nothing happens. Here's my script so you can see what's wrong with it:
Spoiler:

This is just a test to see if I can get it to work. Thanks in advance! :)

You got this fixed by Madridista, and thanks for comment.
Spoiler:

Just fixed the offsets...

The offset should have at least 100 between each other...

Your statmemnt is partly fine, mainly for short scripts. You won't need to do this always... cause when HackMew's XSE (a script editor that uses same language as ScriptED, but much better) will be released, you wil be amazed how easy will scripting be with dynamic offsets (I know Pokéscript already has that, but the dynamic offset ipmlementation will be better over here, and mainly, you will be able to easily use ScriptED language used in this guide).

Years
I don't think u need a screenshot...

When I tried to talk to the person, nothing happeneds...

Script:

$org 0x800000
Lock
Faceplyaer
msgbox 0x800100
callstd 0x6
release
end

#org 0x800100
= Hi mate!

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
Years
I don't think u need a screenshot...

When I tried to talk to the person, nothing happeneds...

Script:

$org 0x800000
Lock
Faceplyaer
msgbox 0x800100
callstd 0x6
release
end

#org 0x800100
= Hi mate!

Not really any problems, just a few typos.

Code:
#org 0x800000
lock
faceplayer
message 0x800100
callstd 0x6
release
end

#org 0x800100
= Hi Mate!

Years
Ok, but still nothing happeneds...

That's how I putted into the room.
ScriptED -> Paste Script -> Compile -> Double Click on rom (FR) -> A-map -> Pallet town - > Events -> Click on sprite -> right hand side, Script offset, write $800000 -> Close it and save it

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
@Crashink: msgbox was the first used in ScriptED. It can be used.

@Madridista. You use WinXP, right? So show the file extensions as I instructed you. It will work after next compiling.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Please stop posting stuff like whats wrong with your scripts.
As everyone else said, do that in the scrapbox.
And thanks Martin

Shadowz

Among the Shadowz...
Years
Im sorry for being such a noob but when i try to open scriptED, it says SmartMenuXp.ocx is not registered or invalid. What should i do?

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
Search for it with Google. I really don't know.

As for NIN, this thread is made for showing pratcical tests I put into my guide and ask question with scripts. I don't have much time to do the complete guide, so I will answer questions instaed, and later, I will make a summary.

Madridista... sorry, I cannot help you. I don't know what's wrong.

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2010
OMG, that's the complete basics what's here. Offset is the main thing you need when want a script, advanced or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back