• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Hello. I want to ask about PS2 RPG's. Can somebody name me a good couple of them?. Thanks (I already know the FF games so those ones are out)

Aside from what others have named so far there's also a couple of digimon world games for the ps2, Kingdom hearts, Star Ocean, Dark Cloud, Xenosaga, Dragon Quest, and Okage are all pretty good.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Hello. I want to ask about PS2 RPG's. Can somebody name me a good couple of them?. Thanks (I already know the FF games so those ones are out)
Persona 4, definitely. Solid title, hours of gameplay, there's not much else I can say here that hasn't been said everywhere else. Heck, not even just P4; there are a number of Shin Megami Tensei games on the system: Nocturne, Digital Devil Story, Raidou Kuzunoha- all solid. Of them, my favorite is easily Persona 4, but I can't help but sing the praises of the other series.

A game I've been playing recently is Dokapon Kingdom, which is essentially a Turn-based RPG mixed with Mario Party if it made people ACTUALLY kill each other. It's a fantastic game, single player or otherwise, but I definitely recommend it if you want a unique experience of a game.

A good number of other great ones have been mentioned above, but I'd definitely recommend Dark Cloud and its sequel, as both of them are as unique and innovative as you would expect from a Level-5 series.

Then, of course, there are the Nippon Ichi titles such as Disgaea and Makai Kingdom. If I had to recommend specifics, Disgaea 2 (my personal favorite of the series), Phantom Brave (my personal favorite Turn-Based Strategy), and Soul Nomad and the World Eaters (A stand-up one of a kind title). If you like Turn-Based Strategies, these are some of the best you'll find in the RPG genre.

I could go on and on, really. There are a staggering number of good RPGs on the PS2, I'd say the only systems that manage to have more are the DS and the Super Nintendo (though, in the case of the latter, that was the Golden Age of RPGs, so it's difficult to compete with), but here are at least some suggestions.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Hey, for those of you who've played the Ace Attorney games, can you settle something for me real quick?

Do you pronounce Ema Skye's name like "Emma" or "Ee-ma"?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I pronounce it like "Emma", but I have no idea if that's correct.

EDIT: Okay. Did some quick reading about it. Apparently it would be pronounced more like Eh-ma or Éma, which is kinda cool and unqiue.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Oh, that's interesting, sounds kinda French that way. I always called her "Ee-ma" but recently I saw a video where they called her Emma, which is why I asked.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Persona 4, definitely. Solid title, hours of gameplay, there's not much else I can say here that hasn't been said everywhere else. Heck, not even just P4; there are a number of Shin Megami Tensei games on the system: Nocturne, Digital Devil Story, Raidou Kuzunoha- all solid. Of them, my favorite is easily Persona 4, but I can't help but sing the praises of the other series.

A game I've been playing recently is Dokapon Kingdom, which is essentially a Turn-based RPG mixed with Mario Party if it made people ACTUALLY kill each other. It's a fantastic game, single player or otherwise, but I definitely recommend it if you want a unique experience of a game.

A good number of other great ones have been mentioned above, but I'd definitely recommend Dark Cloud and its sequel, as both of them are as unique and innovative as you would expect from a Level-5 series.

Then, of course, there are the Nippon Ichi titles such as Disgaea and Makai Kingdom. If I had to recommend specifics, Disgaea 2 (my personal favorite of the series), Phantom Brave (my personal favorite Turn-Based Strategy), and Soul Nomad and the World Eaters (A stand-up one of a kind title). If you like Turn-Based Strategies, these are some of the best you'll find in the RPG genre.

I could go on and on, really. There are a staggering number of good RPGs on the PS2, I'd say the only systems that manage to have more are the DS and the Super Nintendo (though, in the case of the latter, that was the Golden Age of RPGs, so it's difficult to compete with), but here are at least some suggestions.
I have to disagree. While it certainly had a number of excellent, and some of the best, RPGs out there, 2000-2010 is the golden age of RPGs. 1985-1996 was the first decade, when everything was fresh and new, tropes were still being created, templates were being developed and used, then the PS1/N64 era everything went a bit quiet, not a lot of true greats to compete with it, and then you hit like 2002 with the PS2 and it starts to pale in comparison. The transition from PS2 to DS was jarring sure, but if you love RPGs there is no way you can argue that the SNES era>PS2/DS decade. There are way more variations on the genre, not just the usual medieval/steampunk stuff that everyone was putting out. You got stuff like that sure from DQ 8 and FF12, but then you got stuff like the Persona games, the Kingdom Hearts series, one offs like Radiant Historia, Ni No Kuni and Infinite space, and a whole slew of new concepts. The only thing that I can say beats the PS2/DS decade of RPGS is Terranigma, that game is always above all else for me.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I have to disagree. While it certainly had a number of excellent, and some of the best, RPGs out there, 2000-2010 is the golden age of RPGs. 1985-1996 was the first decade, when everything was fresh and new, tropes were still being created, templates were being developed and used, then the PS1/N64 era everything went a bit quiet, not a lot of true greats to compete with it, and then you hit like 2002 with the PS2 and it starts to pale in comparison. The transition from PS2 to DS was jarring sure, but if you love RPGs there is no way you can argue that the SNES era>PS2/DS decade. There are way more variations on the genre, not just the usual medieval/steampunk stuff that everyone was putting out. You got stuff like that sure from DQ 8 and FF12, but then you got stuff like the Persona games, the Kingdom Hearts series, one offs like Radiant Historia, Ni No Kuni and Infinite space, and a whole slew of new concepts. The only thing that I can say beats the PS2/DS decade of RPGS is Terranigma, that game is always above all else for me.
If we're talking decades, then I really think SNES does win. While there were a number of RPGs in 2000 to 2010, from...let's say, 90 to 00 (since that also splits between two generations, though I was more referring to 91 to 94 when I said that), you had more impactful RPGs than you did from 2000 to 2010. Sure, in 2000 to 2010 you got Persona, Final Fantasy games, Kingdom Hearts and all that goolash, but with the 90s to 00s you got Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and Deus Ex among others. This was when games started getting serious about their narratives and realized that they could leave an impression on the player through animation, aesthetics, and music rather than simply words and context.

But I don't really think it's best to compare just the SNES to what is 2 generations, hence why I use the entire 90s to 00s deal here (or, if we want to go general, SNES/Playstation 1). This is where you saw a lot of new ideas of the industry that are, nowadays, only held back by their outdated GUIs and, depending on the case, lack of modern concept. This was also around the time that developers started to recognize RPGs as the parent genre it is and started branching beyond the goto- that is, Turn Based RPGs. It was an age of creativity, and we started seeing games like Live a Live, a game which experimented with multiple narratives that eventually come together, Chaos World, which was essentially he precursor to The Last Remnant, what I would say are some of the best Final Fantasy games, which developed class making, customization, and darker, more personal narrative storytelling. This was also the age of Monster Collecting games such as a good deal of the Shin Megami Tensei games (including the main games, mainline spinoffs, and the original Persona entries), Monster Rancher, Jade Cocoon, and various Dragon Quest titles.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, and heck, the more that I think about it, the more that I really think that the SNES alone could be a good contender for the PS2/DS together, and I certainly think that if I were to pick a would be more contemporary system to pair it with such as, say, the Gameboy, it would probably still come out on top. Reason being, even if SNES were to have less good RPGs than the systems, together or apart, I think that it would still qualify as a Golden age partially as a matter of quantity, but also because here you would see a number of important RPGs and classics, many of which would do quite a bit to branch out the RPG genre as a whole, really test what the gamer, or rather, the consumer in general was willing to stand in terms of mature content in storytelling, and try out numerous concepts. But I think if we're too look at the PS2/DS, we really don't see that as much, and it's not as if it's not possible, The World Ends With You is one of the best and most unique games I've ever played, and despite what I said about Chaos World, The Last Remnant still does well to experiment with ideas in much the same way. But regardless, I don't think we see as many classics as we did in the SNES days.

In short, I really think it's the overall quantity and quality that makes it such a good contender for the best (and if not that, certainly the most important) of the Golden Ages.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
The 2000s may have been the age of RPGs (and shooters, come on now we even have first person RPGs), but the 2010s will be the age of the Roguelike! Many new roguelikes with much more accessible designs are being released these days. Isaac alone will influence a lot of people considering how great the response is to the game, so we'll probably see clones like Minecraft has. inb4 Nintendo makes one based on Zelda.

Also, The Binding of Isaac LPs y/y?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
The 2000s may have been the age of RPGs (and shooters, come on now we even have first person RPGs), but the 2010s will be the age of the Roguelike! Many new roguelikes with much more accessible designs are being released these days. Isaac alone will influence a lot of people considering how great the response is to the game, so we'll probably see clones like Minecraft has. inb4 Nintendo makes one based on Zelda.

Also, The Binding of Isaac LPs y/y?

Umm...Legend of Zelda x Fire Emblem, I can only say, "YES PLEASE".

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
So 25 Days of Gaming starts on December 1st. Clearly this means the 25th day is Christmas Day. Clearly this means free presents for me it has something to do with Christmas.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
So 25 Days of Gaming starts on December 1st. Clearly this means the 25th day is Christmas Day. Clearly this means free presents for me it has something to do with Christmas.

Maybe. You should totally keep speculating though.

I'll just say: It's gonna be big and bad and awesome.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
Maybe. You should totally keep speculating though.

I'll just say: It's gonna be big and bad and awesome.
Ha ha, great. I am going to start to thoroughly investigate this Illuminati-level conspiracy being run by you Mods.

In seriousness, I hope I have the means to participate in what is sounding like it's going to be a very fun event.

Hmm, Christmas. Big event. PokéCommunity. What does this add up to? Hmmmmm...

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
Too bad 25th December isn't Christmas Day in every country xD
And depending on timezone, it may not even be 25th December =D
Yeah, that's true.

Back to scheming...
Hmm...has anyone else noticed that the colors of the "25 Days of Gaming" text are red and green, the colors usually assosciated with Christmas?
25days_zps66c61218.png

Or maybe, it's a sign of the Mario Bros? #25DaysOfGamingConfirmedToBeAboutLuigi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back