• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstar095

Baby Seal Clubber
Years

Is there any way to add moves without replacing old ones?
like in A-Tack, you could change a lot of how the move is used, and i'd want to make something like double slash
and if not can i replace none/no attack

Last edited:

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
PokecenterError2.png

PokecenterError.png

there..

Ella

Bidoof Stomper
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 14, 2010
I'm really sorry if this has been addressed- the search wasn't helping me at all for some reason. I feel kind of silly because this seems really basic and I'm not totally sure why the PC search and Google haven't turned up anything good.

Basically, I need help using Advance Text. A general tutorial would be nice. I've seen a video one floating around the internet, but my internet is really slow and I can't really stream video too well. If there's a written tutorial out there it would help a LOT.

The specific problem I'm having is that I'm getting an error that says "The text pointer wasn't found! The text can't be edited!" I guess it's possible that I used up the game's memory, but that doesn't seem likely to me. I'm just doing a simple hack where the names of the pokemon and gym leaders are changed, and I've seen hacks that did a lot more than that and turned out fine.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2010
The third byte of a move is its type. What if we added 18 new types? Could you recreate the gen4 special/physical split in a gen3 ROM doing this? Has anyone tried?

These already exist:
Spoiler:
then add these new types:
Spoiler:
Then use some ASM to change the variables used in battle calculations for the new type attacks, so that the correct attack and defense stats apply - this is the part that I'm not certain about.

After that it's a pretty simple deal to get a list of attacks that have changed and repoint a whole lot of stuff. I think.
Heck for that matter there's already a byte that determines if things make contact, it might be sensible to try using that somehow too.

Anyway, just asking about the feasibility of this. I might dive in and try anyway :P I've always wanted to try learning ASM...

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2010
ROM bricked. Please help.

I've been working on my hack for a while now, and come to find out today, the game was somehow bricked while I was hacking it. To make matters worse, it was supposed to be the final beta version. The game opens up, and the opening text comes up, then the screen fades out, and then it starts up again. It keeps doing this continuously. I cannot figure out why. If somebody could fix the problem for me, or tell me how to fix it, this would be a great help.

The game is a hack of Pokemon Ruby, so use a clean Ruby ROM with the patch:

Cardboard Roof

PokéROM Hacker
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 15, 2013
I have a couple of questions...

1. What is a game "patch"? (.ips) how do i create one?

2. My hack thread never shows up every time I make one...

3. Prof Oak is invisible in my game! (PM me if you want screenies)

Last edited:

Chad -

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2012
Cardboard Roof,

1- IPS is a patch you share when you make a hack. Instead of giving/sharing your WHOLE rom, you send the .ips file and patch it directly onto your ROM. This way your hack's data, maps, scripts etc.. will overwrite the default/original game.

To use it, download Lunar IPS. Open it and click on Create IPS Patch. First, select an unmodified ROM (.gba), then select your hacked ROM.

2- You probably do not have the requirements to open one. Read them somewhere in the Progressing or Hackshowcase section.

3- Change his Person ID from 002C or something to 0000. This way he will show (I think).

Chad -

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024

Possible Movement Permission error. Is the Door of the Pokemon Center a 1 under the Movement Permission?

rstar: I think not, unless you know how to expand the Attack Table, and then insert new moves without tools. Could be possible soon, but for now, you may need ASM knowledge.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years

Possible Movement Permission error. Is the Door of the Pokemon Center a 1 under the Movement Permission?

rstar: I think not, unless you know how to expand the Attack Table, and then insert new moves without tools. Could be possible soon, but for now, you may need ASM knowledge.

Yes, the door is 1 movement permission.
You actually appear on a 1 movement permission suare and are able to move off it :/

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
Years
When i leave a moved pokemon center in my hack, the player spawns inside the center and has to walk through it to get back to ground.(you are on the outside map, but behind the pokemon center)
I think maybe the warp INSIDE the PC is set to warp to the wrong warp number on the outside map. (one which you have deleted maybe)

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2023
quick question. how do you add more spaces in the pokedex, so there can be 400 pokemon?

Years
Hey guys, I'm new here and just wanted to ask a 2questions?

I've searched alot to try and find the answer here but no luck...

My questions are:

1. In Xse, I do everything right, codes etc...follow them strictly step by step.
-----------------------------
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
message @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hello World
--------------------------------

. When I test it, the character simply turns to me but he doesn't talk...Can't seem to figure out whats wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. ( Also, if I use FSF to find free space and I put it copy it to Xse, when I finish the codes and press compile, a box comes on saying that "THE ROM DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH SPACE"..And the FSF option within Xse is unclickable , its not highlighted at all. Any tips also?
-----------
2. When I create a new house using a new map on advance map, I can't seem to enter the house when I test it. The screen goes black and the game freezes... All warps are correctly inserted and I've checked it so many times. Do you know what i'm doing wrong?

Thank you Everyone

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
Thanks to everyone who helped with the pokecenter problem thing, but Orinjmate solved it. thanks :D

Also, when i want to simply edit the text of a character using XSE in Advancemap, what do i exactly do once i've finished the script, because when i compile, it just asks me to save, but i have no idea where or what as :( can anyone helpp?

Years
Thanks to everyone who helped with the pokecenter problem thing, but Orinjmate solved it. thanks :D

Also, when i want to simply edit the text of a character using XSE in Advancemap, what do i exactly do once i've finished the script, because when i compile, it just asks me to save, but i have no idea where or what as :( can anyone helpp?

Well, if you're literally just editing the text at the bottom of the script, then you shouldn't do that. Just to be safe you should get a clean offset and just write a new message script yourself (if you're not able to do that, I'd just get diegoisawesome's tutorial and look at a simple message script). The reason you're only asked to save or close (I assume that's there too), is because the script is being saved to the same offset, and as such does not need proper compiling, but this can be a bit risky, as in it's better to use fresh offsets when you're doing scripting. In short, even if you want to just edit text you should write a new script altogether.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
ohh, okay, thanks :D

but what do i do when i compile the script? will it do it automatically save it or will i have to choose a place to save or whatt? Sorry i'm really, really new to scripting..

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
Years
ohh, okay, thanks :D

but what do i do when i compile the script? will it do it automatically save it or will i have to choose a place to save or whatt? Sorry i'm really, really new to scripting..
You click compile, close the compiling window, close the XSE window and click no on do you want to save.

Mr

Just call me Mister
Years
I want to add overworld sprites to my Fire Red hack. Can I do this without overwriting existing sprites? I've noticed in Advanced Map there are some empty spaces at the end of Pic No (starts at 151 I think).

I want to add stuff like Team Aqua\Magma and Rare Pokemon: Groundon\Raqaza etc.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
Are there any windows files or dll files that XSE requires. I am trying to run it in linux but it opens for one or two seconds and then closes before I can do anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back