• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Spaceworld 1997 demo for Pokemon Gold leaked and datamined

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
I've waited so long for these to leak, and have always wondered how different they would be from the Gold and Silver we know today. Now we know they were DRASTICALLY different, though I do wonder why they were completely changed. Personally, I would love it if they would actually make that Japan region a real thing (I like to call the region "Nihon"), since we have pretty much an entire unused region that's drastically different and more diverse than Johto ever was. Essentially, an alternate Generation 2.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2019
I love seeing stuff like this. How'd it leak after 21 years?

lol, that Meowth pre-evo is just adorable.

From what I've heard, the person who got the demo from spaceworld, passed away.
Then someone sold their stuff to a second hand shop, the owner of the shop knowing what this was, gave it to dataminers/hackers online, to publish.

That's only what I've heard though.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Then someone sold their stuff to a second hand shop, the owner of the shop knowing what this was, gave it to dataminers/hackers online, to publish.

So someone who had been sitting on the demo for 21, with no intention of ever releasing it, passed away and it somehow landed in the hands of someone who realized what they had in their hands? That's some crazy stuff.

MonkeyBoyJoey

Pokemon and 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X fan
Years

I'm in a group that does video game preservation and we've been talking about this demo a lot. Unfortunately, that story turned out to be false. Nobody knows the exact origins. From what I've been told in the past, it has been rumored to be floating around in Japanese prototype collecting circles for years. Looks like someone (either someone in Japan or a foreigner) finally got a hold of it and released it.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Some of these designs look a little off, though some I prefer over the ones we have now. Take Octillery and Farfetch'd's evolution.

Also, I really wish Ho-oh stayed pure Flying.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Wow, to think Game freak planned to include a third eeveelution in generation 2, and it was an Leafeon!

Makes you wonder why they switched to only 2 new eeveelutions in generations 2 and 4 in the final release

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Porygon2?s beta reminds me of the Spurdo Sparde meme, even though it is meant to resemble the Pon de Lion mascot.

The wolfmen Pok?mon would have been a neat addition. They are perhaps one of the best concepts to have been found from the past.

The twin ghosts look a lot like the infamous Lavender Town Ghost if it has merged with CatDog. Girafarig?s original back is more terrifying than we thought.

Madame should be a real Pok?mon for Generation 8, though the odds are far fetched, no pun intended.

Bomseel may be just a simple seal balancing a ball of fire, but it is a very cool idea. I would imagine it evolving into a malicious counterpart of Primarina in Generation 4 if it had made it to the final product we know today.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Aaaah, a lot of the pre-evo tiny mons in there are so cuteeee ;//;

Also, I love some of the evolved Pok?mon and designs that didn't make the cut !

I'm glad with what we got, but some of those would make nice Pokemon in the future, even if their designs are 20 years old now.

It's wild that someone had that for so long, and it happened to end up with someone who knew just what to do with that information.

Back